• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can I split adult entree on the Dining Plan?

Russell

Mouseketeer
I keep going back and forth but I think I may try the plan this time. My son is 11 and won't eat all the food available under the plan. Can you split entree's? With my eating arrangements, we would split one dinner at Le Cellier, Coral Reef, and Artist Point. Anyone split like this?

We have four in our group but I'm not going to try to use my daughter's child's points to pay for the adults. I'm just looking to split some adult meals to stretch the dining options and to avoid too much food for the four of us.

Thanks guys!

I would love to know that too!! We are going early next month, with the DP but I think it will be too much food for us. We have a couple of shows that use 2 credits each, leaving us with a couple of nights with no dinner credits left to use. If we can split and share portions, we won't have any OOP costs. Anyone know????

yes you can split meals with your son i did this a few times on our dec trip because i was not hungry or he wasn't. we had no problems. of course you can not do this at buffets. i am not sure about artist point is this a two credit place?

Artist Point is a signature restaurant, and does "cost" 2 TS credits.

It has been noted that many of the more expensive restaurants are now serving more reasonable portions, which don't amount to much food if you split them. I'm a pretty light eater (at least I have been since my 100 pound weight-loss in 2001), and I finished my plate at Artist Point completely, even after having an appetizer salad, and was still looking forward to dessert.

Once upon a time the portions were huge. But over the past several years, I find the portion sizes average to almost small. I'm not a big eater, but now have no problem finishing my meals. I can't imagine sharing my meal with my 12 year old grandson, there just would not be enough food. Your best bet is to try and see if it works for you.

I think the portions at Disney are the same size or smaller than my local restaurants.

The only way most people will have enough food to share at the CS meals is if you finish the "bad food" such as the breakfast potatoes and french fries. There isn't enough of the main food for most people to share.

I have to agree with Bicker, some of the reports of large portions are urban myth and ancient history. The portions are reasonably large, and guests with very small appetites might share but I think guests with normal appetites will be disappointed. An option might be to order one meal on the plan and then also order an extra entrée or maybe an extra appetizer.

I think MYW Dining guests who're looking to control their OPP expenses should skip the signature restaurants.

If DH and I normally only order an entree when we eat out at home, and now we can get an appetizer, entree and dessert for "free" (on the DP), then it sounds like a ton of food! Especially when you are going to be walking around afterwards. I'm going to suggest to DH splitting at some place (i.e. breakfast, Sci Fi, etc.), meaning using only one credit and us sharing a meal.

I specifically asked that question, and, yes, you are allowed to split the meal. Since I normally eat child-size portions, I seriously doubt I will be consuming an entire adult meal. I would just split the meal, and if you're still hungry, split another meal someplace else and enjoy a wide variety of cuisines. If you're STILL hungry, enjoy a Mickey Bar :thumbsup2

I was wondering this too, and it sounds like the answer is yes. In order to do California Grill (2 credits) we were thinking of using just 2 credits at another restaurant for 4 people. Last week at WDW my sister and I split an appetizer, entree and dessert at Restaurant Marrakesh. We didn't completely finish any of the three. At the end of our meal I said "hey, this is how much food you get on the dining plan, except it is meant to be for ONE person." So I know it will work for us as far as having enough food, I am just wondering if this will be frowned upon or if they pretty much just let you do whatever you want. Any insight?

For now, it is permitted. The key concern should be compensating the servers, so just leave an additional gratuity, and don't worry about any frowns that may occur.

However, this is subject to change, so be forewarned. It may not work that way by the time of your trip.

Many restaurants have a $5-$10 sharing charge. Shula's is the only restaurant at WDW that currently has a sharing charge but that could change.

For the benefit of others reading this thread many of the Disney restaurants, but none of the restaurants the OP mentioned, are either buffer or all you care to eat. Every guest must pay, the only possible exception might be for a guest that literally eats nothing and even then some restaurants have an entertainment charge. This courtesy is extended for guests with a food allergy or who doesn't like that type of food. It's is for guests who literally eat nothing and not for guests who just don't eat very much.

The last time I checked, the entertainment charge was $5 pp.

I hope it's still like that when we go in October. My concern has been that DD wouldn't eat breakfast if it weren't for the fact that she has to take medication at that time. I do eat a good breakfast (it's my favorite meal) and thought she could share mine.

We're staying at POR. I am still a little fuzzy on all of this, but could I get the omelet and a cinnamon roll that DD could eat for one credit?

Pocohantasfan said:
I hope it's still like that when we go in October. My concern has been that DD wouldn't eat breakfast if it weren't for the fact that she has to take medication at that time. I do eat a good breakfast (it's my favorite meal) and thought she could share mine.

We're staying at POR. I am still a little fuzzy on all of this, but could I get the omelet and a cinnamon roll that DD could eat for one credit?

Dessert is no longer included with breakfast so the cinnamon roll would only be included if it is normally included with the price of the omelet. I don't think it is. Paying out of pocket for breakfast, particularly if you purchase a refillable mug, makes the most sense.

Looking over the meals and the appetizers I know there is no way my 11 year old DS can possible eat everything. I'm going to plan that I can but if they change their policy I will have a back-up plan!

Well, remember, there is no obligation to gorge one's self, or even take advantage of every aspect of the plan. What folks need to figure out is whether or not the plan, as it is offered, is right for them. For many people, there is substantial cost savings to be had, and those folks should choose to purchase the plan. For many other people, that's not the case, and so those folks should choose NOT to purchase the plan.

Sure you can share! There must be a restaurant somewhere that charges $10 to share-- but I have never heard of it. Even very high end restaurants only charge $2 or $3 to split orders in the kitchen in my area. If you share it at the table (without asking for it to be split) I have never encountered a restaurnant that charged extra.

It may make the most sense to spend 1 TS credit and order an additional appetizer and drink to round the meal out for two.

When my family was at WDW last fall, we usually had two small lunches of 2 CS credits (say at 11am and 2pm) rather than stuffing ourselves at one. We are a family of 5 (our youngest child was only 2 at the time of the trip).

I would share if you feel like it is enough food. DH and I were stuffed will they app and dessert so sharing is an option. They plan does not state anyway it is to be used (sharing vs single meals pp) so use it any way you see fit. My son and I could share at most rest, but not with DH he just eats to much. planet hollywood is one place anyone can share (big servings).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter