Can kids over 10 order from kids menu on dining plan?

rosencra38

Earning My Ears
Please forgive me if this has already been asked a hundred times. I haven't been to WDW in 10 years, planning a trip mid January 2019 and my youngest will be 11. She would much rather order from the kids menu at most table service restaurants. I understand it wouldn't be the best use of a table service credit when charged at adult price but what other option would I have...

When redeeming an adult table service credit, the server will typically offer to prepare an adult-sized portion of the kids meal entree. When paying out of pocket, anybody can order from the kids menu.

You can pay cash for that kids meal then use her credits for a meal later

She will be required to use her adult credit at buffets and aycte or any ackage like candlelight processional

Depending how many in your party you may save enough for an extra ts meal

ok, I didnt think of it like that but paying cash and using her TS meal credit elsewhere for myself and my two boys could be beneficial. Thanks for that.

Yes there is a lot of flexibility in this scenario. I agree, I would much rather pay the OOP charge and save the credit for another time. If you truly don't have the time to dine and use it later, they can pick out a snack and downgrade the credits.

I did exactly this on my last trip - DS-then-10 got kids' meals OOP at menu-service TS locations, and we saved the extra credits to do an extra character meal for all of us.

It's unfortunate that Disney doesn't allow purchase of the kids plan for 10-11 year olds that are filled up by 2 slices of pizza and a snack.

Is it possible to book a package, 2 adults, 2 kids 11 years old such that only the adults get the DDP and we pay OOP for everything for the kids?

We had the opposite issue that was easier to resolve. When our kids were young they no longer liked kids chicken nuggets, pizza or mac and cheese. They preferred trying adult menu items and could generally eat a fair amount of an adult entree. We got the adult plan for them.

I will have 2 kids and 4 adults, I have an opposite problem. My teenaged sons would rather their younger sister not eat all of her meal, so they could have extra. While many of the dinners sound sophistocated, they can often be broken down to its basic components. My rather picky 15 yr old daughter, has had sucess doing this. she has even asked for no sauces.

It's unfortunate that Disney doesn't allow purchase of the kids plan for 10-11 year olds that are filled up by 2 slices of pizza and a snack.

Is it possible to book a package, 2 adults, 2 kids 11 years old such that only the adults get the DDP and we pay OOP for everything for the kids?

Everyone in the room has to either be on or not on the dining plan.

As far as the age vs food intake thing goes, you can have the same argument about every age. People eat different amounts of food. There is no age that Disney could pick that would make the plan work for every family.

You might want to rethink the dining plan. The adult price (which your 11 yo's will be considered), is about $75 per day per person. If you don't think your kids can eat that, you're going to waste a lot of money.

If you like the fact that it is pre-paid, consider saving $$$ in a unique savings account. (I have a savings account I use only for my vacation money.) Putting $$$ in a "cookie jar". Or even, buy Disney gift cards. (Be very careful here as you can only use these at Disney.) If you buy a $25 or $50 GC 1-3 times per month, then you'll have a nice amount when you travel.

I know it takes some work, but make a plan of where you plan to eat and what each family member would most likely eat. You can get the prices from the Disney app or allears.net. Remember, just because some "comes with" your meal, doesn't mean you'd likely eat it. (Example, 4 dessert with the TS meals. Would you eat 4, or would you get 1 with 4 forks???)

Maybe in a few years when your kids are older and eat more, the DP will work better for you.

You might want to rethink the dining plan. The adult price (which your 11 yo's will be considered), is about $75 per day per person. If you don't think your kids can eat that, you're going to waste a lot of money.

If you like the fact that it is pre-paid, consider saving $$$ in a unique savings account. (I have a savings account I use only for my vacation money.) Putting $$$ in a "cookie jar". Or even, buy Disney gift cards. (Be very careful here as you can only use these at Disney.) If you buy a $25 or $50 GC 1-3 times per month, then you'll have a nice amount when you travel.

I know it takes some work, but make a plan of where you plan to eat and what each family member would most likely eat. You can get the prices from the Disney app or allears.net. Remember, just because some "comes with" your meal, doesn't mean you'd likely eat it. (Example, 4 dessert with the TS meals. Would you eat 4, or would you get 1 with 4 forks???)

Maybe in a few years when your kids are older and eat more, the DP will work better for you.

I've thought about that as well but this situation is only with my 11yo, my youngest. My boys will be 12 & 15 and they eat more than I do so the DP will work well for them.

I've thought about that as well but this situation is only with my 11yo, my youngest. My boys will be 12 & 15 and they eat more than I do so the DP will work well for them.
I’ve always found that the adult price never allows the plan to work out financially. The kids price subsidizes the value. Make sure you do the math to see for yourself, but as a rule of thumb, adults only on the plan is a terrible value.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter