Can male cast members have hair in bun?

Gotalive

Earning My Ears
I'm not sure where a good place for this question is but I have searched everywhere and can't find any definitive answer. Can a male with long hair be hired in Disneyland if he has his hair back in a tight clean bun?...asking for a friend ;)
The Disney Look of "clean, natural, polished and professional, and avoids "cutting edge" trends or extreme styles." Doesn't really help me and when i do searches for Disney male hair policies all I find is stuff on beards.
Thanks for any help!

I doubt it. In more than 125+ visits, I've never seen a guy with long hair -- bun or otherwise. Since it doesn't fit in with Disney's image, I suspect that long hair on men is not allowed. I believe that in the sixties, even guests with long hair weren't even allowed in the park.

Seems pretty clear "clean + polished + professional + trends/extreme styles" = no man bun.

I doubt it. In more than 125+ visits, I've never seen a guy with long hair -- bun or otherwise. Since it doesn't fit in with Disney's image, I suspect that long hair on men is not allowed. I believe that in the sixties, even guests with long hair weren't even allowed in the park.
thanks for the help! I'm guessing your probably right. I just have an interview soon and can't find any clear info.

Seems like a perspective based guess at an answer not a definitive answer.
That's all you will get here, unless a former CM that works recruitment or hiring happens to be hanging out.

You probably already know the Disney culture and they have laid out their expectations in writing. My answer came from two points of view, and employer that has some similar expectations of my team members and that of a father with a son with very long hair and beard.

The reality is that if you really want the job with Disney you should get a hair cut. You can wait and see, but often the interview is the first and only time to make an impression. Hair can always grow back. Good luck with your interview.

Well, I've never seen a Disney CM with a man bun, nor with long hair (loose, in a pony tail, etc). So, my guess is it's not allowed.

• Hair must be neatly cut on the back and sides, forming a smooth, symmetrical appearance so that it does not extend beyond or cover any part of the ears or the shirt collar. The overall style must be neat, natural and balanced proportionally.
  • Tucking hair behind the ears, or pinning or tucking it under a hat to conceal an unacceptable hairstyle will not be permitted.
Based on those two lines I would guess that the bun would not be acceptable.

This might give you some help too, "Tucking hair behind the ears, or pinning or tucking it under a hat to conceal an unacceptable hairstyle will not be permitted."
https://collinsrace1.wordpress.com/...look-acceptable-hair-styles-for-cast-members/

I saw that but its not really clear either when I have my hair in a bun it is smooth and there is no tucking or pinning and it is completely symmetrical. Of every thing I have read the one that concerns me is the " does not extend beyond collar of shirt". Mine would not extend below the collar but would extend beyond.

I saw that but its not really clear either when I have my hair in a bun it is smooth and there is no tucking or pinning and it is completely symmetrical. Of every thing I have read the one that concerns me is the " does not extend beyond collar of shirt" as mine would not extend below the collar but would extend beyond.

I agree with everyone who is saying that if you really want the job you should cut your hair. If you don't get the job you can always grow your hair back. Disney will better consider applicants who already conform to their standards rather than ones who will conform after the fact. I also think that keeping a man-bun might give them the impression that if you are willing to push on this requirement you might also give them push back on other requirements that they expect from their cast members. The meaning behind the words above pretty much say short hair that doesn't have to be somehow confined so that it doesn't reach past the collar, and even though they use 'pinned' as the example, I would take that to also mean tied with a clip, hair tie, etc.

Good luck on the interview. :)

I agree with everyone who is saying that if you really want the job you should cut your hair. If you don't get the job you can always grow your hair back. Disney will better consider applicants who already conform to their standards rather than ones who will conform after the fact. I also think that keeping a man-bun might give them the impression that if you are willing to push on this requirement you might also give them push back on other requirements that they expect from their cast members. The meaning behind the words above pretty much say short hair that doesn't have to be somehow confined so that it doesn't reach past the collar, and even though they use 'pinned' as the example, I would take that to also mean tied with a clip, hair tie, etc.

Totally willing to cut my hair but I've had long hair for 20 years so its not a "it's no big deal, it'll will grow back" situation for me. It's a big change for me so if i don't have to that would be awesome but its looking like I would have to so I will... guess I'll schedule an appointment the day before my interview....I'm scared

Totally willing to cut my hair but I've had long hair for 20 years so its not a "it's no big deal, it'll will grow back"
I hear ya, sounds exactly like what my son would say too. He interviewed with Motorola and the recruiter suggested he shave and cut is hair, he said 'nah take me as I am or I'll keep looking,' they didn't hire him but not because of his hair/beard.

Take them a before and after picture so they can see your dedication!
You that's actually a good idea, show them how much you really want the job!

Totally willing to cut my hair but I've had long hair for 20 years so its not a "it's no big deal, it'll will grow back" situation for me. It's a big change for me so if i don't have to that would be awesome but its looking like I would have to so I will... guess I'll schedule an appointment the day before my interview....I'm scared

I had dark brown hair for 42 years. Then it started turning gray. I had no say in this. I can either dye it to look like it used to or let it be gray but I can't just let it grow for a few months and have it return to my old hair. So I say, yeah it can be cut. They're not asking for a military buzz; just something clean looking. You might just like it and decide to keep it like that. :thumbsup2

thanks for the help! I'm guessing your probably right. I just have an interview soon and can't find any clear info.

I would suggest you decide if you are ok to cut it if it gets you the job.
If you are then tell them in the interview that you would like to keep it but are willing to cut it if you are successful.

Seems like a perspective based guess at an answer not a definitive answer. There are plenty of clean, polished and professional males with buns and Extreme styles definitely does not = no man bun

You have what you feel to be a more definitive answer now, but from the part you were responding to here, you’re missing the “trendy” part of it.

I’ll be 49 tomorrow, and apart from yogis, I’ve never seen men wear their hair in a bun until a few years back. It’s a trend. Or maybe it’s a future new normal. For now it seems like a trend. Even the long haired hippies my mom was friends with didn’t put their long hair up.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the look on some men (would NOT have worked on my ex), but it’s not a Disney thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter