Can someone explain why at 180 days out I can get NOTHING?

Check closer to arrival. My friend was there at spring break and got all her choices the day before! There is a lot of double or triple booking and cancelling going on.

I feel the exact same way!! Deluxe dining isn't cheap for a family. Been trying every single day since my 180 day window opened and can't get what I want. Part of me thinks the system is messed up or they are holding back some reservations. Im trying to stay positive and don't want to believe its going to be so super crowded that everything is already sold out. We have always gone this time of year and never had any issues with major crowding or being unable to get ADR's this far out.
They are definitely holding back at Epcot and at MK on days they are doing the Christmas party. They want people to get desperate and splurge on the candlelight package and party tickets.

Did you get a resort discount? Hopefully so (rack rate is a ripoff at WDW). Free dining is a different kind of discount which comes out in the fall, in which you have to pay full price for the room, so between the two different discount types, the money savings is kind of even.

I think you should return your dining package. Those are overpriced, anyway. You'd save money by eating the same meals but paying as you go.
Sometimes the dining plan works out well. When we go we have 4-6 people in a room so the room discount isnt as good.

Sometimes the dining plan works out well. When we go we have 4-6 people in a room so the room discount isnt as good.
The OP paid for the dining plan. She didn't get the free dining deal, so I asked her if she at least got a resort discount. I said that it's a rip-off at Disney to not get one or the other type of discount. I know that different discount types work better with different resort categories/family sizes than others, but that wasn't the issue under discussion.

Last edited:

I think part of it is Disney's IT acting quirky. The other day, I wanted Boma or Jiko at 180 days. I filtered the resort, no availability. Frustrated, I tried the time-nothing. Then I tried "Cuisine-African" and up popped several available times at both. Yesterday I wanted something, but with no filter, the restaurant wasn't listed. With certain filters it wasn't, but I finally hit on one that gave me several available times there. "Just keep..." not swimming, but playing around and something might pop up.
BOMA is available for literally every day and time(searching by breakfast/lunch/dinner instead of actual times)for all 7 days of my trip

Yes we paid for the Deluxe plan, and I know to some that may seem like a rip off, but I did the math. It works out very well for our group. Well, that is, as long as we are eating in the signature restaurants that I calculated in there. We also rented DVC points, which was a HUGE savings for us. As much as we saved on the rooms though, it is still a ton of money.

I wish there would be some kind of notice that these things are being released. It sucks being 6 hours behind, because I woke up this morning SCRAMBLING to make a MVMCP reservation 6 hours after they had been open. And I'm not sure if it is the system, or what, but I keep getting an error at the last part of making a reservation for Cinderella. I am so utterly disappointed. I am waiting for the second time to speak with a Disney representative, who will probably be just as unhelpful as the last person. I can only imagine how hard it is going to be to get a Candlelight reservation when that randomly opens. I can't wake up at midnight every night just to check if they are open...I physically cant do that.

I know it sounds extreme, but I honestly just want to cry from being so overwhelmed and disappointed.

Thank you all for your replies. What is interesting is that I got the reservations I wanted for 180 days out (December 10) but couldn't get the some of the others for the rest of my trip (December 11-15). So regardless of when I did or didn't wake up (midnight is that glorious time for me), I wouldn't have gotten the reservations I wanted anyway because somehow they are all mysteriously (I have literally never had this happen before. On site and off site, I have NEVER missed out on this many reservations) gone. Be Our Guest, Cinderella's Royal Table, Akershus, Le Cellier and Trattoria al Forno. Now, I am aware that those are all difficult to get, but there is no reason that my 181, 182 and 183 days out should be unattainable. That is supposed to be a perk for paying so dang much more to stay on property. As far as choosing the Deluxe Dining Plan, my sister-in law wanted to eat at both Le Cellier and Cinderella's Royal table, so we decided to go all out with Signature and favorite restaurants.

Ive actually been on the website multiple times today, and I am almost 100% there is something wrong with the system. I cant make reservations for any of my days now. Not sure what the problem is, but its giving me more hope that I will be able to make my reservations soon rather than trying to rely on people cancelling.

We are going during the same time frame as you and have had no luck. our travel agent was up when booking opened and she said she had never seen anything like it with how nothing was available. I keep checking the site multiple times daily hoping something will open up. Good luck!

Yes we paid for the Deluxe plan, and I know to some that may seem like a rip off, but I did the math. It works out very well for our group. Well, that is, as long as we are eating in the signature restaurants that I calculated in there. We also rented DVC points, which was a HUGE savings for us. As much as we saved on the rooms though, it is still a ton of money.

I wish there would be some kind of notice that these things are being released. It sucks being 6 hours behind, because I woke up this morning SCRAMBLING to make a MVMCP reservation 6 hours after they had been open. And I'm not sure if it is the system, or what, but I keep getting an error at the last part of making a reservation for Cinderella. I am so utterly disappointed. I am waiting for the second time to speak with a Disney representative, who will probably be just as unhelpful as the last person. I can only imagine how hard it is going to be to get a Candlelight reservation when that randomly opens. I can't wake up at midnight every night just to check if they are open...I physically cant do that.

I know it sounds extreme, but I honestly just want to cry from being so overwhelmed and disappointed.
Totally understand, I feel the same way for my November trip :(

I truly believe there is some sort of background answer as to why reservations have been so difficult for this Nov/Dec season. I know I will be told (I have many times) that it is just the way it is or it is all due to Free Dining, etc, but I agree. I have gone many times before during much busier times and with Free Dining and have never had such difficulty. I know part of it is that Disney WAS holding back some availability and has been releasing it since our 180+. However, if they are going to make us book that far in advance you would think they would know what they have available. I agree, it is a perk of staying on property (they advertise it that way) but when all the availability isn't released until way after your 180+10 mark, the perk is no longer there. The best part is that when you talk to the CM, they will all agree that it has been hard this fall but none of them know why.

I'm with you, Paul M. I find it hard to believe that so many people can get their act together at 6:00 AM 180 days out for a Disney Dining reservation but can't pay bills on time, get to work on time, procrastinate on many things in life. That or the supply is minuscule compared to the demand.

Tomorrow is our day to start doing dining reservations. I've done some research and i think it's going to be hard to get reservations for 6 people. I think this is going to be my dads last trip to Disney due to his age, I just dont think he will be able to do it anymore, too much for him. So i'm hoping getting up early to do reservations first thing in the AM will help us get the restaurants we want.

Sounds like there may be no hope for our group of 13 when there are concerns for groups of 6 :-O

My theory is that park hours are less settled than ever 180 days out. People have learned to expect last minute changes. My theory is that the people with access at 180+10 are booking more backup plans than ever before.

In case anyone cares for a hopeful update from me, I have some good news! On the day they opened up MK party reservations, getting one for Cinderella was a pain. Online, it was giving me an error message at the end of booking, and the first "agent" I spoke with was not looking to help me in any way. I ended up calling again though, keeping my composure this time, and got to split our party for two reservations 15 minutes apart! Woo! Kind of a bummer that we couldn't get all 7 of us together, but at least we will get in. I am hoping that, if we cannot all get together for our other reservations, that we can still split up and hopefully have more of a chance to get all we are looking for.

I still think this is too much work.

Officially hoping to still get:
- CLP Package with breakfast at Garden Grill (crossing my fingers, tonight is the night! Well, day for all of you EST)
- Dinner at Le Cellier (we have a super late reservation, but hoping for something earlier with a 3 and 1 year old)
- Breakfast at Be Our Guest
- Breakfast at Trattoria al Forno

Also considering changing our Hollywood Brown Derby or Jiko to a 1 credit if we do get CLP.

My guess would be that I will have the best chance to get GG, LC, and TaF when the Candlelight Processional Packages come available. And I am truly hoping that they become available in 7 hours, because I loath the idea of waking up every night at midnight to check lol. I am a mama bear who absolutely needs all the sleep.

I have been going to Disney for years and I have NEVER had this issue. I can't get ANY of the dining reservations I want at 180 days out. It's crazy. Something is wrong. I called and spoke to two agents, both said "this is normal this time of year". But I just can't believe that I get on at 6am 180 days out and can't get ONE time throughout the day for any of my five restaurants at ANY park,. This doesn't add up, something is fishy.

I have been going to Disney for years and I have NEVER had this issue. I can't get ANY of the dining reservations I want at 180 days out. It's crazy. Something is wrong. I called and spoke to two agents, both said "this is normal this time of year". But I just can't believe that I get on at 6am 180 days out and can't get ONE time throughout the day for any of my five restaurants at ANY park,. This doesn't add up, something is fishy.
It's always harder this time of year, but I agree this seems a lot worse than usual.

My theory is that park hours are less settled than ever 180 days out. People have learned to expect last minute changes. My theory is that the people with access at 180+10 are booking more backup plans than ever before.
I agree with you, I just saw someone releasing 2 times in the same morning for BOG breakfast and keeping their third time. So apparently, many of those booking 180+10 are over booking and then releasing. I was thinking maybe a robot has gone in and taken all reservations, like they do with concert tickets. I know it seems strange, but I just can't believe I cant get any of my four reservations for any of my 8 days, when I get up at 6am at 180 days out. I know December is tough, but it just doesn't add up.

I agree with you, I just saw someone releasing 2 times in the same morning for BOG breakfast and keeping their third time. So apparently, many of those booking 180+10 are over booking and then releasing. I was thinking maybe a robot has gone in and taken all reservations, like they do with concert tickets. I know it seems strange, but I just can't believe I cant get any of my four reservations for any of my 8 days, when I get up at 6am at 180 days out. I know December is tough, but it just doesn't add up.

Exactly this! I know several people either personally or through the boards who have way overbooked their dining and are holding multiple reservations waiting for park hours and extra magic hours, parade and show times etc. With families travelling together with different MDE accounts, they may be holding 3 or 4 dinner reservations for the same night and will drop the extras later. It drives me crazy because it just compounds the problem! But then it also frustrates me that Disney has these booking windows 6 months out but yet won't release their park hours and schedules that far out.

Laurie

Exactly this! I know several people either personally or through the boards who have way overbooked their dining and are holding multiple reservations waiting for park hours and extra magic hours, parade and show times etc. With families travelling together with different MDE accounts, they may be holding 3 or 4 dinner reservations for the same night and will drop the extras later. It drives me crazy because it just compounds the problem! But then it also frustrates me that Disney has these booking windows 6 months out but yet won't release their park hours and schedules that far out.

Laurie
I just did my 180+10 and got most of what I originally wanted. (I didn't even try for BOG though)
I feel really strongly about the practise of reservation hoarding though. We booked the meals we want to eat and will need for the days we are there (We need the sit down meals due to the health issues of the party, so we booked breakfast and dinner every day, except one day when we just booked Brunch)
We made back up choices for the ones we could not get, and now have a full set of things we are looking forward to eat. I won't reservation stalk, I am going on holiday, not planning a military campaign.
Holding additional reservations is really unfair. Some other family making a one off trip might be really hoping for that dream meal but not get it cos someone is holding three versions just in case.
There should be a limit of three meals pp per day ADR in my opinion. No one needs more sit down meals in a day than that, do they?

They are definitely holding back at Epcot and at MK on days they are doing the Christmas party. They want people to get desperate and splurge on the candlelight package and party tickets.

They are not "holding back at the MK" for Christmas parties. If you have a party ticket the ADR's are definitely available after 6 on party nights. It is necessary to have a party ticket to eat during the party.
It isn't that "they want people to get desperate and splurge" on the Candlelight Processional it is that the demand is that great for package ADR's

They are not "holding back at the MK" for Christmas parties. If you have a party ticket the ADR's are definitely available after 6 on party nights. It is necessary to have a party ticket to eat during the party.
It isn't that "they want people to get desperate and splurge" on the Candlelight Processional it is that the demand is that great for package ADR's

Actually, they were holding back party reservations. They literally just released them the other day. There is a pinned post about it on the Dining Res front page if you care to see how excited someone was that they finally released them.

Actually, they were holding back party reservations. They literally just released them the other day. There is a pinned post about it on the Dining Res front page if you care to see how excited someone was that they finally released them.
I wouldn't be shocked if they held back some times until they fully committed on cutoff times for dining without a party ticket. It does appear they are going with an earlier closing time in the MK on party nights this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!