Can you only stay if DVC?

Dumb question. Can you only stay at DVC resorts if you are a member of DVC?

If you own DVC points, it is most effective and cost effective to book only DVC stays. If you own DVC points including resale points bought before March 21, 2011 and direct from Disney points, you can book a selection of Disney resorts (usually where there is no DVC component and not value resorts).

And owners of all DVC points, direct and resale, can exchange their points through RCI and stay at a different resort (non-Disney). But you need a long lead time to accomplish this. And not all resorts are available, nor are they always available when you want to book them.

But, ultimately, DVC members are only guaranteed stays at DVC resorts as long as there is availability.

Can you only stay at DVC resorts if you are a member of DVC?

nonmembers can stay at DVC resorts by renting from a DVC member or by paying cash to disney (who is technically a "DVC member" as they own a lot of pts, one way or another) for a reservation.

for example, you can rent old key west from expedia (who ultimately pays disney):

http://www.expedia.com/Orlando-Hotels-Disneys-Old-Key-West-Resort.h8925.Hotel-Information

alternatively, as a DVC member, you can use pts to stay at other timeshares as Deb says. if you buy DVC pts directly from disney, you can also trade out for disney hotels, cruises and other fancy hotels (like the hotel del coronado in san diego) but regardless, i agree with her that DVC resorts are the best value for using DVC pts.

no. you can stay anywhere you want to - either using points (although the points for a non-dvc resorts are expensive) or cash. the value resorts who would need cash.

it is cheaper (point wise) to stay at DVC resorts if you own it.

Thank you, we are not DVC members. I never even looked at those resorts,because I thought they were member only resorts. This does give our large family more choices in where to stay.

Thank you, we are not DVC members. I never even looked at those resorts,because I thought they were member only resorts. This does give our large family more choices in where to stay.
DVC rooms will come up in searches on the WDW web site or when talking with Disney Central Reservations the same as any other Disney room. You can also book them through a travel agent.

Another option, if you're comfortable doing it, is to rent a reservation directly from a DVC member using the rental boards here on DIS.

Your only problem will be if you are looking at Grand Villas (three bedroom villas). Those go quickly to members booking on points. But two bedroom villas should be available on the Disney Reservation Center website or on the phone.

Shhhh! We've been members for 12 years, and to this day I think DH believes he can only stay at HHI by being DVC members. How do you think I got him to buy 12 years ago? He LOVES HHI!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter