Canadian Amazon Visa card

Can you have the hotel check you out on the 14th and just clear up any final transactions on the 15th?

Can you have the hotel check you out on the 14th and just clear up any final transactions on the 15th?
I would think you should be able to pay the full amount of the room at check in and then just pay any incidentals for the one day if applicable when you check out on a different card. I don’t think you would want to actually have them check you out the night before.

You can most definitely go to the front desk at any point in your stay and pay off a portion of your bill -- you won't end up checking out. We often will go down and pay off whatever we can with the last of our US cash the last night so the amount applied to the credit card is as low as possible.

Does anyone know
Just an FYI: I read over at RFD that someone who got the HomeTrust Visa said he was limited to 10 transactions/day outside of Canada. (Having that restriction seems like of silly to me.) It hasn't been confirmed by anyone else yet. Posting it here just in case.

FWIW, I read the cardholder agreement yesterday (before submitting an application for the card) and didn't see anything about limited transactions. I'm not positive that something like that would have to be baked into the contract, but if it's a set policy, it seems like they would mention it somewhere.

Agreed that it would be dumb though. If you're going to set a limit like that, it would make more sense to set it on total value of the transactions rather than the number. We wouldn't often run more than ten transactions a day anyway, but I'd hate to have to keep track. "Uh-oh, better not charge that $5 transaction in case I need to buy something later!"

I got my letter today about my Amazon Visa. I was confused by the wording. When is the last day I can use the card. We check out on March 15. Can I only use it until March 14 or until March 15?
From the FAQ on amazon.ca:

Will I be able to use my card on or after March 15, 2018?
No, transactions will be declined starting March 15.

As I've read more about the (very limited) no-forex options, I'm becoming increasingly convinced that I'll want both cards. Home Trust for items that might be returned, overseas car rental, cruise deposits, or anytime I don't feel like loaning Rogers 2.5% (eg. larger purchases early in the year). Fido for any other forex transaction, as a backup, and for the supplementary cards.

I applied for the Home Trust card yesterday, listing my husband as an authorized user. I think I might have my husband apply for the Fido card, and get supplementary cards for myself and our daughter. Our daughter will be travelling to New York on a school trip next month, and I think I prefer this to sending her with a lot of cash.

Comments in RFD highlight a few issues with the Home Trust Visa:

There are several reports of the 10 foreign transaction/day limit on the HomeTrust card, including both first-hand reports of the card being declined on the 11th transaction, and several people calling Home Trust to confirm. Still don't know for certain that it's true, but given multiple reports, I'm inclined to believe it.

Also, apparently users are currently unable to set/change the PIN number on Home Trust cards. You must use the PIN provided. Some have been told that this should be fixed soon (ie. early 2018), but it's mildly irritating in the meantime.

Card does not support tap-to-pay.

Processing time for Home Trust Visa applications is generally long (several weeks) and there are multiple reports of applicants who claim to have strong credit, multiple credit cards, good income, etc. being declined. On the flip side, lots of people who have questionable credit have been approved. Hard to say what criteria are being applied.

Well, that was painless.

Rogers has been pushing for a while for me to get the platinum card, so I pulled an offer out of my deleted items in gmail. 5 minutes later I was approved, and the card should arrive in a few days. I finally got the notification from Chase today. DW is still waiting for hers, but she applied for the rogers card today too. We have two Rogers bills already (one for cell, one for everything else), do we'll each put one our cards to waive the fees.

Thank-you everyone for you replies. I was only half-reading the letter and didn't take time to process the information. Thanks for doing my research!

I just applied for a US dollar Visa card to replace the Amazon Visa. Fortunately my final balance for the trip is due in Feb, so at least I can use it for that!

When they say in the letter

"If you had unredeemed cash back points on your account prior to closure, we will apply a statement credit to your account for the cash back amount."

do they mean to my visa account or my amazon account? I currently have a $0 balance on the card as it is only used in the United States and don't intend to use it prior to March 15th, but I have about 1,300 points or so currently accumulated.

"If you had unredeemed cash back points on your account prior to closure, we will apply a statement credit to your account for the cash back amount."

do they mean to my visa account or my amazon account? I currently have a $0 balance on the card as it is only used in the United States and don't intend to use it prior to March 15th, but I have about 1,300 points or so currently accumulated.
I am sure it means to the visa itself...

Edit - 1300 points is a $1.30 rebate. (originally thought it was $13) If you want to capture that $1 and 30 cents you could put $10 worth of gas into your car before March 15th so that they apply the credit.

Last edited:
RBC Bank (the US Royal Bank) has a US visa for Canadians. I just signed up for one late last year. No annual fee but required to have a bank account with them which has a small fee (which was waived in a promo for my first year).

RBC Bank (the US Royal Bank) has a US visa for Canadians. I just signed up for one late last year. No annual fee but required to have a bank account with them which has a small fee (which was waived in a promo for my first year).
That’s the credit card I just got. They let me get a no-fee Money Market savings account instead of the usual USD a chequing account with the $3.95/mo fee. Not sure if that is always allowed or if it was some form of banking pixie dust ;)

Edit - 1300 points is a $1.30 rebate. (originally thought it was $13) If you want to capture that $1 and 30 cents you could put $10 worth of gas into your car before March 15th so that they apply the credit.
I’m pretty sure 1300 points is $13? I think they automatically credit me $20 when I hit 2000 points. So spend at least $15 on the card just in case!

I’m pretty sure 1300 points is $13? I think they automatically credit me $20 when I hit 2000 points. So spend at least $15 on the card just in case!
That is correct - 1300 points should be $13.
On my latest statement they "auto-redeemed 2000 points for a $20 credit"

I found a copy of the letter online so am posting it here (copy and paste of the text):
January 15, 2018
Important Information: The Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card program is ending, and your account is closing on March 15, 2018. Thank you for being a valued Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Cardmember. We are writing to notify you that the credit card relationship between JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. in Canada and Amazon.ca is ending and that Chase will be closing the Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card program as of March 15, 2018. Here’s what you need to know about your account • As of March 15, 2018, you will no longer be able to use your card for new transactions. • The terms and conditions set out in the Cardmember Agreement for your account will still apply after your account is closed. • The annual interest rate on your card will not change once the account is closed. • Please destroy any cards or cheques you have associated with this account, including any authorized user cards, after March 15, 2018. • After March 15, 2018, you will not be able to enroll for a new online account to view your Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card information on Chase.ca. If you do not currently have an online account and would like to access your account online you must enroll for your online account prior to March 15, 2018. Continue making payments as outlined on your monthly statement • You will continue to receive your monthly statements until any outstanding balance is paid. You may either pay your balance in full immediately upon receipt of your statement or continue to make payments as set out in your statement until your balance is paid in full. • Update your credit card information for your Amazon.ca account and for any pre-authorized payments (e.g., cable or utility bills) before March 15th, 2018, if you wish those services to continue. Changes to your Rewards Program • You will continue to earn rewards on purchases made before March 15, 2018. • If you have a rewards balance at the time your account is closed, you will receive a statement credit for the full amount of your rewards balance. • You will receive a credit for the balance of your points value calculated on purchases made before March 15, 2018 at a conversion of $1 = 100 points. If you have between 1 and 100 points, then you will receive a credit for $1. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you. If you have any questions about the information in this letter or any other aspect of your account, please call 1-866-557-7811 or visit Chase.ca/amazon to learn more. Sincerely, Chase

Too many points programs with too many different values got me confused. I guess that as of March 15, I won't have any more Amazon points to get confused.

Paid off our WDW room only and plan to pay the remaining balance for our UO ressie for March prior to this card which ends March 15th --- we had planned to use this card for a few things which won't be possible now based on our trip dates. Sooo... sad to see this card go.

For those that have CC's issued by Canadian banks in USD... from what I can tell --- I also need a USD chequing/savings account to put USD cash in -- without forex fees applying. Once the $'s are in the USD account I can pay off my US Credit Card account (USD) without forex. Is this correct? Any info that can be provided would be appreciated...

Based upon AKL moving to no-cash I'm thinking this is going to be something more significant for future trips....

Paid off our WDW room only and plan to pay the remaining balance for our UO ressie for March prior to this card which ends March 15th --- we had planned to use this card for a few things which won't be possible now based on our trip dates. Sooo... sad to see this card go.

For those that have CC's issued by Canadian banks in USD... from what I can tell --- I also need a USD chequing/savings account to put USD cash in -- without forex fees applying. Once the $'s are in the USD account I can pay off my US Credit Card account (USD) without forex. Is this correct? Any info that can be provided would be appreciated...

Based upon AKL moving to no-cash I'm thinking this is going to be something more significant for future trips....
Don't know about all banks, but the cross-border plans at TD charge a "preferred rate" for transfers to the US$ side.

So I checked their daily rates. The current counter rate for US exchanges was approximately 3%. The preferred rate for cross-border account holders was (you guessed it) 2.5%. Exactly the same rate as Visa charges all its customers.

That is the fallacy of these US$ cards. Unless you have a source of US$ income (US work or rental income), you are still going to pay an additional forex fee.

Don't know about all banks, but the cross-border plans at TD charge a "preferred rate" for transfers to the US$ side.

So I checked their daily rates. The current counter rate for US exchanges was approximately 3%. The preferred rate for cross-border account holders was (you guessed it) 2.5%. Exactly the same rate as Visa charges all its customers.

That is the fallacy of these US$ cards. Unless you have a source of US$ income (US work or rental income), you are still going to pay an additional forex fee.
I totally agree. To get around the F/X 2.5-3% fee, we have exchanged money with Knightsbridge. They charge a low currency conversion fee, I think last time we used them it was only 0.5-1% above the Bank of Canada daily rate. I would recommend them. https://www.knightsbridgefx.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter