Canadian as opposed to ....

#1MMFan

Space Mountain Maniac
I keep hearing never to mistake a Canadian for an American from the US, but I want to hear from the horse's mouth what you feel makes you different. How could I tell that you were Canadian and not from the US (and not because you have a maple leaf hanging off your backpack - hey, I have that and I'm not Canadian, yet ;-)

Also, which area is the nicest area to go to... looking forward to being convinced of a particular province etc to settle in. Any good canadian photos?

John :bounce:

It's hard for me to explain without being "impolite" or misunderstood (which is very Canadian!). I think it really has to do with our cultures. I work a lot with some co-workers who are in the US, and there truly is a difference in our business styles...they come across as much more "aggressive" and assume that the US way is always the right way. Don't get me wrong, I do work with a lot of great Americans. Another difference is in their lack of what I'd call "things non-American". Most Canadians are very aware of what is going on inside and outside our country; Americans are very US-focused. Again, nothing wrong with that, but it is a difference. I love Ontario...Toronto is a very wonderful, multi-cultural city; Cottage country (about 2 hours north of Toronto) is extremely scenic and a great place to spend time in the summer. I love the mountains in Alberta (Banff area). If you want a dose of culture and beauty, try Halifax and Cape Breton...lots of proud celtic heritage there! Hope you visit soon!

#1MMFan, I am sending you a PM. Sandra

Canada has so much diversity, which is celebrated and enjoyed by all. People bring their own cultures with them and help others to learn more about them ... but from my experience in the States, it seems that Americans are more prone to view their country as a "melting pot" - they accept other cultures, but they like it better if you melt right in. Sometimes it seems like Americans don't appreciate minority groups the way Canadians do. I was born in Canada, but my parents are from Hong Kong. When I was at the airport in Orlando, a lady approached my group wanting to know if we had change for a dollar - and the first thing she said was "Do you speak English???" ... in Canada, particularly in the larger cities, no one would ask you that!! Having said all that, it's not as though we aren't influenced greatly by the American culture. But it's something of a quirk that we're always anxious to be seen as different.... maybe because we are ! :)

Let me put in a plug for BC, truly the best province in Canada (sorry Ontarians...!) Southern BC has the mildest winters in all of Canada. We are close to the Pacific Ocean, we have great mountain ranges for skiing/hiking etc, we have vast forests, we have a great wine/fruit region (the Okanagan), and best of all, there's Vancouver. Best Chinese food outside of Asia, close to the water and the mountains, mild weather, gorgeous summers, and a great laid-back atmosphere. Oh, and a fantastic hockey team - unlike Toronto. Just kidding, guys! Seriously though, where else can you ski, surf, hike, and swim all in one day?

Can you tell I *LOVE* my city and my country? I feel like singing the national anthem right now! I don't have any pictures of Vancouver personally, but have a look here:
http://www.eyeseavancouver.com/vancouver.html

Feel free to message me for more info :) And Go Canucks!

Oh, and one more site - there is a pretty cool video here if you have some time and a good internet connection!
http://www.tourismvancouver.com/docs/visit/things_to_do.html

One thing I think makes the average Canadian different from the average American is our ability to lampoon ourselves and our public figures. One very popular Canadian television program, "This Hour has 22 Minutes", takes evil glee in skewering Canadian politicians and other people in the limelight - most Atlantic Canadians I know absolutely adore the show. Further, our Canadian politicians and public figures happily (or maybe not) enter into the unplanned skits and other foolishness carried out by the program.

I agree that our national mindset is oddly apologetic and conciliatory - for instance, when someone in a crowd bangs into me or steps on my foot, I tend to say "I'm sorry" - I don't know why.

I believe Atlantic Canada - and particularly my province of Prince Edward Island - is the right place for you to locate to... the employment opportunities may not be as plentiful as in central or western Canada - however, they are here for well qualified people.

Check out Prince Edward Island via www.peiplay.com lots of pics and links to what I think is a great place to live.

Here's a second for PEI. We are a tourist haven, beautiful beaches, lupins growing in our ditches, and Rainbow Valley*yah it might be more for little kids but you cant beat the screamer!*. Lots of other stuff too like walking trails out in Dalvay and Anne.

Here's a question for you. Are you Scottish or English? But doesn't that make you British....so what's the difference?
It's sort of the same thing with Canadian/ American. Yes we are all north Americans but if your were to asked someone from the states, what countries are in the America's- most would tell you only the U.S. If you asked someone from the states if they were Canadian...you would hear an ear full of " how they were American, only American, & how could you ever mess that one up....."
Btw- most of my friends are American, & I love the states (live there if I could), but they tend to forget there is a world outside of the states.
As for telling us apart...that's alittle harder, it takes time to learn both Canadian local accents (french, east coast...) & the difference U.S. ones (N.Y, southern etc.)

Well, the thing is I'm Scottish. Not English because that's a separate country in the UK. And yes, I'm also british because GB is made up of Scotland, England and Wales. The UK is Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland. So no, I'd never be English, only Scottish or british. I think you'd find there is quite a difference between Scottish and English in a subtle way, apart from the accent. So yes, it does matter.

Anyway, loving your posts, please keep posting!
Those web site links were great.

:bounce: :bounce:

I spent my grade 13 year going to school in Switzerland. We learned very quickly how to pick out the Americans -- by the end of the year we could place the accents too, usually quite accurately. The Americans stood out because they seemed to possess a confidence that we Canadians seemed to lack. A big difference seemed also to be that although they knew they were in a foreign country they made almost no attempt to speak French -- they assumed that everyone spoke English. We on the other hand tried to speak French and it was appreciated. Most Canadians are much quieter than Americans. An over generalization probably but it's what we observed in Switzerland.

As to an area of Canada to live -- I'd pick any of the Atlantic provinces. I grew up in Nova Scotia and still have family there. PEI is wonderful and I have family there as well. My mother grew up in New Brunswick. The ocean is something that can't be replaced by anything else. I now live in Ontario and like it too but there's nothing like the smell of salt water.

Cdnmickeylover

We're a cross between GB and USA. We still spell certain words like centre (not center) and

We are (known for being) maddeningly polite. Getting into a queue and staying in it instead of pushing and shoving to a better spot.

We envy the Americans, because they have such a strong national identity and we think we don't, but we don't want to be like the Americans and be so nationalistic and patriotic.

Molson (beer company) did a great spot lampooning what Americans think about us. Here's a link: http://www.robhoran.com/videos/Video_Play.asp?Video_ID=297.

Here's a bit (A Canadian Apology) that Rick Mercer did on "This Hour Has 22 Minutes", around the time the Iraq war broke out:

---------------

On behalf of Canadians everywhere I'd like to offer an apology to the United States of America. We haven't been getting along very well recently and for that, I am truly sorry.

I'm sorry we called George Bush a moron. He is a moron but, it wasn't nice of us to point it out. If it's any consolation, the fact that he's a moron shouldn't reflect poorly on the people of America. After all it's not like you actually elected him.

I'm sorry about our softwood lumber. Just because we have more trees than you doesn't give us the right to sell you lumber that's cheaper and better than your own.

I'm sorry we beat you in Olympic hockey. In our defense I guess our excuse would be that our team was much, much, much, much better than yours.

I'm sorry we burnt down your white house during the war of 1812. I notice you've rebuilt it! It's Very Nice.

I'm sorry about your beer. I know we had nothing to do with your beer but, we Feel your Pain.

I'm sorry about our waffling on Iraq. I mean, when you're going up against a crazed dictator, you wanna have your friends by your side. I realize it took more than two years before you guys pitched in against Hitler, but that was different. Everyone knew he had weapons.

And finally on behalf of all Canadians, I'm sorry that we're constantly apologizing for things in a passive-aggressive way which is really a thinly veiled criticism. I sincerely hope that you're not upset over this. We've seen what you do to countries you get upset with.

Thank you.

--------------------

Hope that helps!

I wasn't trying to tick you off or anything....That's the exactly the same way the Canadian/ American agrument goes....
Well, the thing is I'm Scottish. Not English because that's a separate country in the UK. And yes, I'm also british because GB is made up of Scotland, England and Wales. The UK is Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland. So no, I'd never be English, only Scottish or british. I think you'd find there is quite a difference between Scottish and English in a subtle way, apart from the accent. So yes, it does matter.
see it would go like this: "Well, the thing is I'm Canadian. Not American because that's a separate country in the North America. And yes, I'm also "American" because North America is made up of Canada, U.S.A and Mexico. THE America's is all of North America & South America. So no, I'd never be "U.S.American", only Canadian or North American. I think you'd find there is quite a difference between Canadians and Americans in a subtle way, apart from the accent. So yes, it does matter."

I was just trying to put it in perspective that made sense to you. No offense taken, I hope?
Btw-my roots are also Scottish.

MaMuddock

No offence taken. The thing is, what I'm meaning is the difference between you as a Canadian N. American as opposed to a U.S. N. American. I understand that you are all N. American. And Canada and US may be same continent but are definitely different countries, whereas I can understand confusion arises because Scotland and England come under a bracket of UK/GB, i.e. the same country yet separate countries - yes, I've never worked that one out!

:bounce: :bounce:

I was always told when I lived in Ottawa "I knew you were going to be nice as soon a I heard you were from the Maritimes!"

I live in New Brunswick. Shediac New Brunswick has the warmest beaches north of the Carolinas. We have superb coastlines and culture. The mixture of French and English has made New Brunswick one of the most beautiful, interesting and peaceful places on earth.

Here are some picutres...
neweng03.JPG

neweng04.JPG

neweng06.JPG

Here is a pick of my hometown beach...Parlee Beach
lg2_beach.jpg

The highest tides in the world...
kayakfoil1.jpg

indexpage1_5x4.jpg

At low tide....
tideout.jpg

At high tide...
tidein.jpg

We also have some of the LARGEST things on earth...I live very near the World's largest Lobster...

http://www.cyberbeach.net/~solonyka/LCRA/newbrunswick.htm Check it out...
3646963.jpg

Too much to show...You must come and see...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter