Canadian Buffoon's Back to Front Vacation - Update! 05/18 - Falling Down

Just stopping by to say that I (finally) watched "A Christmas Story" in it's entirety over the weekend. It's such a good "dad movie". The girls thought it was annoying. I wasn't surprised. Oh well, I'll be watching it by myself in the basement from now on I guess.

Just stopping by to say that I (finally) watched "A Christmas Story" in it's entirety over the weekend. It's such a good "dad movie". The girls thought it was annoying. I wasn't surprised. Oh well, I'll be watching it by myself in the basement from now on I guess.
Good! That you watched it I mean.
As for the girls...
Maybe when they get older.

Sounds like an interesting
story. Care to share?

Actually it's more sad than anything. I'm the sort of person that likes to contribute with things like meals. When Jenny and her husband have invited us over for dinner, they dont let us bring anything really, so we've brought wine or margaritas. Last Christmas we did a brunch and I made baked eggs in ham cups and her hubby made fruit salad, French Toast and bacon, you know everyone participated.

So looking back to this Thanksgiving we attended. Technically we weren't invited, but I would think that family should always be welcome. Right? :confused3 I mean we would be staying at a hotel, not expecting them to put us up. In the weeks prior to our arrival, I kept asking about the Thanksgiving day menu, could I bring anything? And she actually says to me, "No don't worry about anything, you're on vacation."

Excuse me? Do you think I'm gonna go to Seattle in November and hang out with sniveling kids and call it a vacation? No it's called visiting family.

So my sister and her husband don't like to eat all kinds of delicious stuff, actually their palates are very similar to Mark's. :rotfl2: So when they didn't tell me anything about the menu, I took it upon myself to make something I knew they wouldn't already have and I could make it in my hotel room. Caprese skewers.

Neither of them will eat tomatoes and when her husband saw me carrying a tinfoil pan of them, he said, "You're not coming in this house with those." Of course eventually he relented and let us enter, but he's basically a sarcastic jerk. Makes you look like a choir boy. :laughing:

So the day goes by with little other than hubby berating the oldest daughters boyfriend as they drink and watch football. Every evening we gathered at their house for a dinner, one night was Prime Rib that I had packed in my suitcase, another was with my aunt and her family (who loved the Caprese skewers). I believe it was on the last night that he confessed that they purposely kept the T-day menu from me in advance. As they said, "Since you like to take command of everything, we wanted to make you sweat a little bit over what was happening."
Gee thanks Donkey-pit.

Then six months later at my 50th birthday where I gave them and their kids all a room at the Grand, they were dismissive of me and my friends. At the dinner at S55, they were so picky, the dinner was delayed cause they didn't like the 1st or second courses and made substitutions. All my DiS friends said they were totally rude and inappropriate. I haven't seen them since and haven't spoken on the phone with my sister unless my Mom calls them on a holiday. She didn't even call Fran and I this last Thanksgiving .

Actually it's more sad than anything. I'm the sort of person that likes to contribute with things like meals. When Jenny and her husband have invited us over for dinner, they dont let us bring anything really, so we've brought wine or margaritas. Last Christmas we did a brunch and I made baked eggs in ham cups and her hubby made fruit salad, French Toast and bacon, you know everyone participated.

So looking back to this Thanksgiving we attended. Technically we weren't invited, but I would think that family should always be welcome. Right? :confused3 I mean we would be staying at a hotel, not expecting them to put us up. In the weeks prior to our arrival, I kept asking about the Thanksgiving day menu, could I bring anything? And she actually says to me, "No don't worry about anything, you're on vacation."

Excuse me? Do you think I'm gonna go to Seattle in November and hang out with sniveling kids and call it a vacation? No it's called visiting family.

Okay. Still with you.

So my sister and her husband don't like to eat all kinds of delicious stuff, actually their palates are very similar to Mark's. :rotfl2:

:laughing:

So when they didn't tell me anything about the menu, I took it upon myself to make something I knew they wouldn't already have and I could make it in my hotel room. Caprese skewers.

Neither of them will eat tomatoes and when her husband saw me carrying a tinfoil pan of them, he said, "You're not coming in this house with those."

I'm sorry... what?????
He was kidding, right?

Wow.

Of course eventually he relented and let us enter, but he's basically a sarcastic jerk. Makes you look like a choir boy. :laughing:

Wait...

Hey!

So the day goes by with little other than hubby berating the oldest daughters boyfriend as they drink and watch football. Every evening we gathered at their house for a dinner, one night was Prime Rib that I had packed in my suitcase, another was with my aunt and her family (who loved the Caprese skewers). I believe it was on the last night that he confessed that they purposely kept the T-day menu from me in advance. As they said, "Since you like to take command of everything, we wanted to make you sweat a little bit over what was happening."
Gee thanks Donkey-pit.

What an aswipe.

Next time make a cream pie...

...and slam it in his face.
for me.
(Well... for you too.)

Then six months later at my 50th birthday where I gave them and their kids all a room at the Grand, they were dismissive of me and my friends. At the dinner at S55, they were so picky, the dinner was delayed cause they didn't like the 1st or second courses and made substitutions. All my DiS friends said they were totally rude and inappropriate. I haven't seen them since and haven't spoken on the phone with my sister unless my Mom calls them on a holiday. She didn't even call Fran and I this last Thanksgiving .

:sad2:

Wow.
Yes, totally rude.
I hope I showed you
a bit more appreciation
for all that you did for
me/us than that!

Just stopping by to say that I (finally) watched "A Christmas Story" in it's entirety over the weekend. It's such a good "dad movie". The girls thought it was annoying.

Annoying? Annoying????? It's only one of the greatest movies ever!

(And way better than Frozen) :rolleyes1

So my sister and her husband don't like to eat all kinds of delicious stuff, actually their palates are very similar to Mark's. :rotfl2:

HEY! :mad: Thought I wouldn't see that, didn't you! :p

I eat plenty of delicious stuff. Whenever I put together a meal, both I and 8-year-olds the world over give it rave reviews.

Neither of them will eat tomatoes and when her husband saw me carrying a tinfoil pan of them, he said, "You're not coming in this house with those."

Probably meant to be funny, but know your audience, dude!

I believe it was on the last night that he confessed that they purposely kept the T-day menu from me in advance. As they said, "Since you like to take command of everything, we wanted to make you sweat a little bit over what was happening."
Gee thanks Donkey-pit.

:thumbsup2 <---- Not a thumb.

This is where I would recommend Tom Hanks' knock-knock joke from Catch Me If You Can.

I'm sorry you dealt with all this.

Annoying? Annoying????? It's only one of the greatest movies ever!

(And way better than Frozen) :rolleyes1

correct.

I eat plenty of delicious stuff. Whenever I put together a meal, both I and 8-year-olds the world over give it rave reviews.

This is where I would recommend Tom Hanks' knock-knock joke from Catch Me If You Can.

Now that is a very good
piece of advice.
Tagging @franandaj
to make sure she sees it.

I'm sorry... what?????
He was kidding, right?

Wow.

Probably. But he's always so sarcastic and a total jerk, I never know what to think about what he says. I don't know how my sister can deal with him.

Wait...

Hey!

:confused3 You wanted to be a contender over on my TR...

What an aswipe.

Next time make a cream pie...

...and slam it in his face.
for me.
(Well... for you too.)

I wish I was the kind of person who could do that kind of thing.

:sad2:

Wow.
Yes, totally rude.
I hope I showed you
a bit more appreciation
for all that you did for
me/us than that!

Oh you went overboard pretty much. I dont think you let anyone else pick up a check, and you were very gracious to all, and truly concerned with our wishes as opposed to your own.

HEY! :mad: Thought I wouldn't see that, didn't you! :p

:laughing: I was trying to figure out how to describe their palates and was thinking about all the things they wont eat. And it dawned on me that they pretty much are similar to you! I remember when they lived near my parents and were coming over for dinner, my solution to make everyone happy was a pasta bar. I fixed individual plates for each person and they could choose their protein, sauce, add ins etc. I think my GF at the time was pescetarian, and fish is another thing my sister and hubby dont eat. So finding something that non meat and non fish eaters could both eat was a challenge.

Probably meant to be funny, but know your audience, dude!

Ha! Liesa is also on here and she eats Kale!

:thumbsup2 <---- Not a thumb.

I'm sorry you dealt with all this.

Love the not a thumb! :laughing:

I had to Google the knock knock joke. :lmao: Don't remember that from when I saw the movie back then.

Now that is a very good
piece of advice.
Tagging @franandaj
to make sure she sees it.

Appreciate the tag, but I actually don't check my alerts regularly. In fact I just looked at the number and my phone says that I have 281 alerts. But I often read most of the comments that you and @Captain_Oblivious make cuz you guys crack me up!

I remember when they lived near my parents and were coming over for dinner, my solution to make everyone happy was a pasta bar. I fixed individual plates for each person and they could choose their protein, sauce, add ins etc. I think my GF at the time was pescetarian, and fish is another thing my sister and hubby dont eat. So finding something that non meat and non fish eaters could both eat was a challenge.

That's genius! I imagine most people would be thrilled with a pasta bar.

Ha! Liesa is also on here and she eats Kale!

That comment was directed at the husband in the story, not you!
I had to Google the knock knock joke. :lmao: Don't remember that from when I saw the movie back then.

I find it's a very versatile line. Many applications in life.

Finally caught up for now!

Nice seeing you again! :)

I was lucky and got to go to Niagra-on-the-Lake in February one year - still a lovely place to stroll through.

Beautiful, isn't it?
I imagine it was pretty
magical if it had snow.
(Did it?)

Lost a good scarf while I was there; hopefully someone else is currently enjoying its warmth!

Not a bad way to
look at it. :)

Often think of DD25's and my adventure when I wear my souvenir earrings - we won a "tour" and had a shuttle take us to a meeting place for our car and driver. It occurred to us both at the same time that maybe we were being kidnapped, lol - a funny pic of us in the back of the town car always makes me smile.

Sometimes I wonder about
the faith we put in others.

Are we sure all those rides
are safe and won't kill us?

I think I need a half house - maybe I'd have a better chance of keeping it clean!

:lmao:

"It takes me half the time
to clean than my old place!"

ETA - fantastic patience with the wine flights - I support your decision to pay with your time instead of cold hard cash!

Customer service is part
of what I'm paying for.
The product isn't all of it.

It was all snow - that was the beauty of travelling within Canada - we knew we were in for winter weather, so no need to pack extra shoes, etc; we knew it was boots and heavy jackets for it all.

Sounds... like it was jaw-droppingly
beautiful. :)

We got to tour underneath Niagra Falls as well. It wasn't totally frozen but there was a lot of ice, it was a cold spell.

I don't think it's frozen over
too many times.
I'd like to see it like you did!

Then we hopped the train to Montreal and spent a few days exploring and eating and laughing

Man, that sounds like
such a great time. :)

It was a lovely no plans kind of trip except for the "kidnapping", of course. Also got to have real poutine, and a Montreal smoked meat sandwich at Dunn's deli. Mmmmm, now my mouth is watering and it's my own fault!

:laughing: Me too!
mmmm.... Dunn's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!