Canadian Disney Gift Cards

While the exchange rate will be better with Disney gift cards, if you have a no forex credit card, you have to examine what benefits you would get by putting everything on your credit card before determining which is the better option. In the end, it's probably a wash, and I prefer using my credit card over carrying a bunch of gift cards around.

But aren't people buying Disney gift cards with their credit cards - e.g. going to the Disney Store and buying $500 of gift cards but using their cc to pay?

You can consolidate your cards up to five separate cards up to $1000CDN per card. No need to carry tons of cards.
Is there documentation on your receipts as to how much $ is remaining on your gift card after each transaction?

But aren't people buying Disney gift cards with their credit cards - e.g. going to the Disney Store and buying $500 of gift cards but using their cc to pay?
Good point!

Is there documentation on your receipts as to how much $ is remaining on your gift card after each transaction?

I can't remember actually. I haven't been to WDW since early 2018. Maybe someone who's been there/ used a card recently can chime in on that question...

Yes but i buy them at the grocery store or the drug store -- or I've seen them in Crappy Tire & Staples as well and I use my AMEX card that allows me to earn Airmiles, in Canadian funds. There are no extra charges to my card because I'm buying the gift card here, in CDN with a CDN credit card, it's no different than buying anything else. We just got back but before we left i kept 1 card that had $100 CDN on it and I would check the Disney Gift card site to see what it was worth and it was always, within pennies of what Google was showing -- not real time but the rate at the close of the previous business day.

It ranged from $75.60 on Nov 11th to a low of $75.11 on Nov 21st up to a high of $77.01 on Jan 3rd at which point i used it to pay for our Memory Maker.

I just purchased some gift cards for in park too. We’re going to charge to the room using our magic bands, then pay off the room charges with gift cards. I’ve done this before and it works well for us.

Also, I did keep all the empty gift cards I used to pay for the trip... just in case something goes pear shaped. It’s probably not needed, but it make me feel better lol

I just wanted to share my experience purchasing and using Canadian Disney Gift Cards hoping it will help other Canadian families save some money!

For all my US Disney trips (Disneyland and Disney World) I buy gift cards to cover the whole cost of the trip (or as much as can be covered with gift cards). I buy the gift cards for 2 reasons, 1) to save on the Foreign Exchange Fee the bank / CC company charges 2) to earn 5x the points by using my credit card at a grocery store - see note below. My grocery store sells gift cards up to $500 and I usually purchase 1-2 per month depending on how soon the trip is / how long I have to save up for the trip.

Here is how I use the gift cards:

Disney World - staying on-site at Disney Resort
  • Book vacation online and pay deposit using gift card online (room and park tickets)
  • Book special dining reservations requiring pre-payment (ex. dessert parties) by calling in to book and providing gift card number
  • Paying the balance of the trip in increments using the gift cards when I notice a good exchange rate
  • Charging all purchases (quick-service and shopping) made while at Disney World (can even be used at most places in Disney Springs!!) to our Magic Bands (can't use for Mobile Order though, but the times we go are during off season so the lines are not long)
  • Paying with the physical gift card when dining at table-service restaurants (charging to Magic Band might work for this as well but have never tried because I don't know how they would charge the tip)
  • Visiting the hotel reception every night before heading to our room to pay off the Magic Band balance for the day using the gift card (do not let your daily charges go over $1,000 though as they charge to your credit card on file once the $1,000 threshold is passed)
Disneyland - staying off-site + tickets and hotel reservation NOT booked through Disney
  • Book special dining reservations requiring pre-payment (ex. dessert parties) by calling in to book and providing gift card number
  • Paying for all purchases (quick-service and shopping) by presenting gift card (can't be used for Mobile Ordering)
  • Paying for all table-service dining by presenting gift card

I find using gift cards at Disney World is more "worth it" than Disneyland as Disneyland has restrictions on using gift cards within their app to purchase Max Pass and order through Mobile Ordering, and we never stay on-site at Disneyland.

Note: For those who are looking for more unconventional ways of saving money for your Disney trip, take advantage of what your credit card offers! I currently have the AMEX Cobalt which offers 5x the points at grocery stores. I purchase my gift cards from my local Metro - the only grocery store near me which accepts AMEX. $5,000.00 in gift cards is equal to 25,000 AMEX rewards points which I then transfer to Marriott Bonvoy at a rate of 5 AMEX points to 6 MB points = 30,000 MB points. 30,000 MB points is enough for 1 free night at a category 4 Marriott brand hotel during peak period, or 1 free night at a category 5 Marriott brand hotel during off-peak.

I just wanted to share my experience purchasing and using Canadian Disney Gift Cards hoping it will help other Canadian families save some money!

For all my US Disney trips (Disneyland and Disney World) I buy gift cards to cover the whole cost of the trip (or as much as can be covered with gift cards). I buy the gift cards for 2 reasons, 1) to save on the Foreign Exchange Fee the bank / CC company charges 2) to earn 5x the points by using my credit card at a grocery store - see note below. My grocery store sells gift cards up to $500 and I usually purchase 1-2 per month depending on how soon the trip is / how long I have to save up for the trip.

• Book vacation online and pay deposit using gift card online (room and park tickets)
  • Paying the balance of the trip in increments using the gift cards when I notice a good exchange rate
  • Charging all purchases (quick-service and shopping) made while at Disney World (can even be used at most places in Disney Springs!!) to our Magic Bands (can't use for Mobile Order though, but the times we go are during off season so the lines are not long)
  • Paying with the physical gift card when dining at table-service restaurants (charging to Magic Band might work for this as well but have never tried because I don't know how they would charge the tip)
  • Visiting the hotel reception every night before heading to our room to pay off the Magic Band balance for the day using the gift card (do not let your daily charges go over $1,000 though as they charge to your credit card on file once the $1,000 threshold is passed)
Disneyland - staying off-site + tickets and hotel reservation NOT booked through Disney
  • Paying for all purchases (quick-service and shopping) by presenting gift card (can't be used for Mobile Ordering)

I find using gift cards at Disney World is more "worth it" than Disneyland as Disneyland has restrictions on using gift cards within their app to purchase Max Pass and order through Mobile Ordering, and we never stay on-site at Disneyland.

Note: For those who are looking for more unconventional ways of saving money for your Disney trip, take advantage of what your credit card offers! I currently have the AMEX Cobalt which offers 5x the points at grocery stores. I purchase my gift cards from my local Metro - the only grocery store near me which accepts AMEX. $5,000.00 in gift cards is equal to 25,000 AMEX rewards points which I then transfer to Marriott Bonvoy at a rate of 5 AMEX points to 6 MB points = 30,000 MB points. 30,000 MB points is enough for 1 free night at a category 4 Marriott brand hotel during peak period, or 1 free night at a category 5 Marriott brand hotel during off-peak.
Those are great tips. I like the idea of using the gift cards to pay off your trip in increments when you see a good exchange rate.

I understand the benefit of using the Disney GC for savings and I'm most likely going to use them too for my upcoming trip. However, my concern is that I have trip cancellation insurance linked to my cc and the only condition is that the trip has to be paid in full using the cc. Although, since we will be driving for the first time this trip, I don't find that the cancellation insurance is as necessary but it's still causing me to hold off before I buy the cards.

Great tips.
Just a couple of things. Yes you can add tips and charge to magic band. No need to carry cards around. Also you can set with front desk the amount until they charge cc. Does not need be 1000. So less time at front desk. I just go down the night before check out.

I am planning to get some Disney GCs this time to pay off Disney Cruise on-board charges, WDW dining and purchases. I prefer to pay flights and lodging using a cc with trip cancellation and interruption insurance just in case. I should check my cc to see if I get extra points for any particular type of purchases. Thanks everyone for sharing your tips here!

I understand the benefit of using the Disney GC for savings and I'm most likely going to use them too for my upcoming trip. However, my concern is that I have trip cancellation insurance linked to my cc and the only condition is that the trip has to be paid in full using the cc. Although, since we will be driving for the first time this trip, I don't find that the cancellation insurance is as necessary but it's still causing me to hold off before I buy the cards.
Same. We paid for the trip using our cc, but plan on purchasing some gift cards to pay for meals once we are there.

Thank goodness I have travel insurance through my work as well as my credit card! Never thought of that one.

Edit to add: I don't have trip cancellation/delay/baggage though...something to consider in the future.

Last edited:
I just checked the value of my gift cards and it is the lowest it has been in a long time. I read an article that said once the virus outbreak settles, the exchange should rebound quite well. Thank goodness! Back around November, my full $1000 card was at $762 US, now it is $747 US!

C'mon, L'il Loonie!

If I add CAD gift cards to the gift card site, when are they "locked in" to the exchange rate? When I convert them, or do they vary and then get updated to the current exchange rate when they are used?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!