Canadian DVC Members - 198 - List on Page 1

We're weighing a move to Toronto from the US, so I've been lurking here a bit on the Canada boards.

We have DVC (160 points at BLT) and go to DW at least once a year now. Disney cruise once a year. And we visit family in Boston every other month. I know some of this will have to give after the move. (Already read the thread on travel from Buffalo, etc.)

So my slightly off topic question - it seems to me that when we leave the US I would be wise to keep the bulk of my savings in my US bank account as long as possible to cover my USD expenses such as DVC dues, US based vacations, student loan payments, etc. I could likely dig from that USD account for years and insulate myself from any further dip in the exchange rate.

For those who maintain US bank accounts, are there any specific concerns? Any pitfalls to be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any insight. Funny how we may pick up and move to a new country and managing our Disney vacations and DVC is on the list of concerns!

If you decide to move North, Welcome!

We also visit DW at least once per year but we prefer to drive, hence my member name! For travel from Buffalo you have to shop for the best fares and compare Toronto fares. For example, we went on DCL for Christmas and figured we would fly this one time. We checked prices from both airports and saw that Buffalo was only $100 cheaper for the four of us! So it was a no brainer to fly from Toronto. $100, IMHO, is not nearly enough of a savings to drive 2+ hours on both ends of the flight.

Most if not all Canadian banks have US Dollar accounts. There are many to choose from,for instance, my bank has Canadian US dollar accounts that are managed in Canada but they also have US accounts that are run through the US side of the Canadian bank. It might be easier to make the move, from a banking point, to switch to a Canadian bank that operates in the US. My parents winter in Florida and this is how they do it, use the same bank on both sides of the border. They have their Canadian account for use back home and while in Florida their US account through the US office of their bank. Two separate banks but both with easy access via online banking. We do the same as my parents and have had no issues accessing our money on either side of the border. I believe that one of the advertising posters at the bank calls it Border-less banking.

New DVC member here...bought into VGF straight from Disney.

Please add onto list.

I am glad to see Canadians buying into DVC even with an $0.80 dollar. We went to WDW at Christmas time over the Christmas holidays staying onsite during the 90's and it cost a lot of money. I remember seeing displays advertising Old Key West and was so wRy of timeshares back then. If I would have purchased in 92/93, I would have saved a fortune

We passed ROFR April 21 and waiting on closing documents. We get to call BLT home from now on. :) Now to find the perfect AKL contract at the right price. Oh this could be dangerous!

Please add me to the list, we own at a few resorts now :). We are from Toronto, but I work for a company based in the U.S. part time and get paid in USD, so we use that for Disney trips. That being said, I am looking forward to parity coming back :)!

Not new, bought in 2007, but mostly lurking on the boards. Boardwalk Villas and Beach Club Villas are my home resorts.

We're DVC members in Ajax. We bought BLT direct from Disney in 2010 and added on resale at SSR last year.

If you decide to move North, Welcome!

We also visit DW at least once per year but we prefer to drive, hence my member name! For travel from Buffalo you have to shop for the best fares and compare Toronto fares. For example, we went on DCL for Christmas and figured we would fly this one time. We checked prices from both airports and saw that Buffalo was only $100 cheaper for the four of us! So it was a no brainer to fly from Toronto. $100, IMHO, is not nearly enough of a savings to drive 2+ hours on both ends of the flight.

Most if not all Canadian banks have US Dollar accounts. There are many to choose from,for instance, my bank has Canadian US dollar accounts that are managed in Canada but they also have US accounts that are run through the US side of the Canadian bank. It might be easier to make the move, from a banking point, to switch to a Canadian bank that operates in the US. My parents winter in Florida and this is how they do it, use the same bank on both sides of the border. They have their Canadian account for use back home and while in Florida their US account through the US office of their bank. Two separate banks but both with easy access via online banking. We do the same as my parents and have had no issues accessing our money on either side of the border. I believe that one of the advertising posters at the bank calls it Border-less banking.

Which bank do you use I am a DVC member purchased in 2010 SSR live in Ontario

Just curious how does everyone pay there dues I currently pay a lump sum payment but the exchange rate now is a killer would like to change to a monthly payment. I have read on the DIS board before of other Canadians who pay monthly but I know it has to be through a US account just wondering what others do

Hi Everyone! My Husband and I joined DVC a year ago when sailing on the Disney Dream. We live just outside Halifax. We have been to WDW several times and are looking forward to many more with DVC. We have our first DVC trip booked for May. Our home is Aulani :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!