Canadians renting their Disney points?

Frozen-n-Canada

Earning My Ears
Hello,
I am new on here. I am also new to DVC membership. We have 195 Disney Vacation points that expire Feb 28, 2021.
Has anyone rented? their Disney points? How does that work and where do I go to do that?

Hope everyone is staying healthy and safe :)

Bonnie

Can you bank them? February use year points can be banked up to the end of September.

With the way things are right now renting them won't be easy unless you want to do it below what you would have gotten a year ago.

Are they resale points or direct points? This only matters when considering options other than renting or RCI

Really your only choice besides dumping them into RCI or using a broker.

I'd at least contact David's or another broker just to see what they can do for you - for the price difference you might not find it worthwhile to do yourself. In any case you should do it ASAP as availability is only going to dry up as you approach February.

Dont worry,,,rented many times on these boards, actually have my last ones checking in next week, they even called me to extend for a couple of days too. I dont try for the highest rental points, and have now a few families that email me first to see if I have spare points to rent each year. look at the rules for posting on here and as long as you are reasonable they should be able to rent out. |Good luck and ask any question

I know a few have suggested Daves, but be very cautious with this. In the past I would have recommended no issues, but since Covid, there has been nothing but trouble. Also his new contract puts you the owner on the hook for a whole lot more than just your points.

Just curious ... can you please elaborate on the owner being on the hook for things that they haven't been for in the past?

The reason I'm asking is that we are in the process (crossing our RofFR fingers) of buying a fairly loaded contract, and we will likely have to rent out some points. We have rented points from owners many times, but have never been on the other end of that transaction.

Appreciate it.

Just curious ... can you please elaborate on the owner being on the hook for things that they haven't been for in the past?

The reason I'm asking is that we are in the process (crossing our RofFR fingers) of buying a fairly loaded contract, and we will likely have to rent out some points. We have rented points from owners many times, but have never been on the other end of that transaction.

Appreciate it.
There is a 300+ thread on the DVC misc. board, I am sorry dont know how to paste it. The new contract that Dave is making people sign , in a nut shell, says that the owner if the resort is closed for any reason, even covid, is could be on the hook for not just the points cost but possible the flights and extras...Really badly worded contract. Would not come even close to signing it. If you are thinking of it...read the whole thing 1st.

There is a 300+ thread on the DVC misc. board, I am sorry dont know how to paste it. The new contract that Dave is making people sign , in a nut shell, says that the owner if the resort is closed for any reason, even covid, is could be on the hook for not just the points cost but possible the flights and extras...Really badly worded contract. Would not come even close to signing it. If you are thinking of it...read the whole thing 1st.

Thanks for getting back to me. And thank you, I will check out that thread .... didn't see it.

At first glance it sure does sound crazy. Yikes!

I can only speak for myself.
In the past year I have used Dave's to rent out 3 separate reservations.
First two went fine.

: 3rd one occured during March Break and the people choose not to go...
While I respect their choice it did cause me to lose points that were expiring . I did refund them their money. I did not have to do this according to old terms of the contract but felt it was the right thing to do. I am not sure if David rentals refunded the money or gave the people a voucher.

I have another rental for the end of Oct 2020 coming up and again the original people have declined to go...
I just yesterday changed the names on the reservation per David's Rental request,,I didn't have to in order to receive my 30% which I'll receive upon the reservation guests check in date. I will not refund any money this time as the renter went into this knowingly regarding Covid 19.

I have not seen David's new rental contract as I am under the old one.

I have one more reservation for a 5 day Easter weekend holiday.......................
at this point I will have to see what Dave's new contract looks like .
I want nothing to do with being on the hook for someone's vacation expenses.(that's what travel/credit card insurance is for).
I would love to use DVC Timeshare store as a Broker but when I contacted them they said they can not deal with Canadians.

Wading through the above mentioned thread is a nightmare in itself,,
many angry and upset people. Keep in mind that while Dave's may not have done things perfectly
no one was ready for a freaking Pandemic either.

If I do use Dave's again 2 things will have to be possible
:1) A contract that doesn't put me liable for someone else's vacation.
: 2) I will hold money in a PayPal account till after the vacation has finished just incase funds need to be returned.

Just my 2 cents

Regards
Mel

Last edited:
So apparently I cannot post my DVC points on the DVC rental site as I am a new member and haven't completed the 6 month/post limits. There is an option to pay about $50 us and then be cleared to rent my points out. Has anyone done that before?

So apparently I cannot post my DVC points on the DVC rental site as I am a new member and haven't completed the 6 month/post limits. There is an option to pay about $50 us and then be cleared to rent my points out. Has anyone done that before?
Have not done the pay thing, but many do, as those are the ones with the silver and gold badges...Dont need no stinking badges,,,anyhow I was lucky enough to have had the time in on the boards to not have to pay, and do not rent out enough to need more posts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!