Canadians visit LA and Disneyland in Aug 2017. Sounds great, eh?

Beating the Heat

Not much going on the planning side but am now starting to get into the groove again.

One of my concerns of coming end of August to California is the heat. The last few summers have been quite humid for us in Ontario and I know how uncomfortable and even dangerous it can be. From what I’ve read, CA gets hot but not humid so that should make it more bearable.

Nevertheless, I’ve been researching about how to survive the hot sun (aside form the obvious drink water and take breaks during early afternoon). Never tried them but have read about cooling towels and no harm giving them a try. Worst case is we wasted a bit of money and they take up space in our suitcase (well, the way I pack, there won't be much available space...ha ha).

From my research, I found that there are different kinds. Amazon is good for reading reviews from everyday people using them. Since we are packing I didn’t want ones that are bulky or ‘harden’ when dry or have a mouldy smell. This seems to be the comment for some of the PVA ones such as Frogg Toggs or Chill Pal. SO ended up deciding on Way 2 Cool microfiber towels. They get fairly good reviews and seem to dry soft. This brand also seems a bit lighter than the others, I guess because of being microfiber vs PVA. I like too that they come in different colours so we know whose is whose. They all seem to work similar in that you wet them and then can drape them over your neck.

We put in a order of 4 from Amazon. We’re doing a mini Buffalo run in a couple weeks so we can ship them to a US mailbox. (Amazon.ca has some selection but not as many). Feels exciting purchasing something for our trip.

Saw your PTR today; title sounds like us. I hope your plans work out as you intended as you have put so much thought into them. I actually found that I am very lazy with regards to planning at DL vs WDW; but then, maybe that's because my kids are older and have their own plans. At least I won't have to book FP+ and dining (although may have to...we'll see.) We'll be heading there a week before you ; I hope that HM is still open but who knows. We're doing San Fran before Disney and then LA before we come home. DW is not going to like the constant changing of hotels, but what can you do!
On the subject of credit cards with no FOREX fee, I am a Rogers customer and use the Rogersbank MC for my US Purchases. No fee if you're a Rogers customer.
Look forward to reading more about your trip planning and Trip after.

Saw your PTR today; title sounds like us. I hope your plans work out as you intended as you have put so much thought into them. I actually found that I am very lazy with regards to planning at DL vs WDW; but then, maybe that's because my kids are older and have their own plans. At least I won't have to book FP+ and dining (although may have to...we'll see.) We'll be heading there a week before you ; I hope that HM is still open but who knows. We're doing San Fran before Disney and then LA before we come home. DW is not going to like the constant changing of hotels, but what can you do!
On the subject of credit cards with no FOREX fee, I am a Rogers customer and use the Rogersbank MC for my US Purchases. No fee if you're a Rogers customer.
Look forward to reading more about your trip planning and Trip after.

So nice that you'll be visiting San Francisco too. What do you have planned for LA? For the trip that you're doing, it makes sense that you would switch hotels. :-)
It's funny...even though I have a spreadsheet I started panicking the other day that I don't have any touring plans, etc. So have been busy the past few weeks trying to figure it out. It's not as detailed as WDW since no pre-booking, but just a general plan of where to start each park and FPs, etc (but have only done 2 days so far). And also trying to narrow down table service restaurants.

From past years, you should catch HM. That's the one (big) disappointment as DD and I love it so much at WDW.

Will you be doing a trip report? Would love to read yours as well.

Lol Probably no Trip Report; kids think I'm crazy enough. It's bad enough that I pull them around from place to place like Chevy Chase and the Vacation movies. Not the writing type. Last time I went to DL was when the refurb of Pirates of the Caribbean occurred to add J. Depp into it; Park was closed that night because of the movie promo. DD was too scared to ride Matterhorn, but it's definitely on the todo list this time. Don't know what to think of the new fastpass system they are said to be introducing sometime soon. The FP from both parks are connected now so no more running back and forth between the 2 parks.

Lol Probably no Trip Report; kids think I'm crazy enough. It's bad enough that I pull them around from place to place like Chevy Chase and the Vacation movies. Not the writing type. Last time I went to DL was when the refurb of Pirates of the Caribbean occurred to add J. Depp into it; Park was closed that night because of the movie promo. DD was too scared to ride Matterhorn, but it's definitely on the todo list this time. Don't know what to think of the new fastpass system they are said to be introducing sometime soon. The FP from both parks are connected now so no more running back and forth between the 2 parks.

The Chevy Chase image made me laugh. Hopefully your DD will want to try Matterhorn this time. It does look neat (although i'll probably have to skip it due to risk of eye issues). Yeah, heard about the MaxPass. Hoping it starts after August, but am guessing it'll be sooner rather than later. We're not planning on getting it so will just be longer lines for us. Am wondering how I'll like the paper FastPass. Offhand I like WDW (cause I"m a planner) but we'll see.

I'm not sure what I think if both parks being connected now. I enjoyed getting RSR FPs for later in the day and still being able to go about my DL plan. But we'll revise. :)

I'm not sure what I think if both parks being connected now. I enjoyed getting RSR FPs for later in the day and still being able to go about my DL plan. But we'll revise. :)

Yeah...this is our first Disneyland trip so can't comment from experience. However, I agree with your comment that it does sound nice to be able to be waiting for a FP at one park, and then hop over to the other park and grab one there. Too bad.

Omg...I just noticed that you are super close to your trip! So exciting! I just caught up on your pre-trip report and looks like you have a great plan for your time. I look forward to hearing about it, both Disney and LA days. Have an awesome trip! Happy birthday to your DD!

We're getting there with 2 months, 2 weeks and 3 days until we leave!

Coming Up With a Touring Plan

At WDW, I had come up with a touring plan for each day from start to end. I was so detailed because (1) FastPass+ has you book your Fastpasses beforehand (2) my kids are 4 years apart and at the time my daughter very into princess and my son...well, I'll just say he wasn't a fan. So I came up with a plan of what rides we could ride together, and when we would separate and what rides logistically were near, and put those into a spreadsheet (3) just cause I love planning. DH would look at my spreadsheet and ask, "when am I allowed to pee?"...lol.

At Disneyland I know it's not as critical. However, I've come up with a starting point to determine our magic morning day, what park to start with for each day, and a general touring plan at least for the start of the day. The plan is not in stone. For one thing, I'm basing it on assumptions of what rides my kids like and don't like (they don't know about our trip yet). Also, I know that rides at Disneyland break down a lot so things change. We have 4 day park hopper tickets so we're flexible. This is the current plan...

Day 1 - Tues Aug 29 (Magic Morning)
  • START AT DL
  • Peter Pan (only if "short" line with < 80 people)
  • Alice
  • Mr Toad
  • Pinocchio
  • Show White
  • Matterhorn (if still magic morning)
  • Grab FP for Indiana Jones - I will be skipping Matterhorn so I could be a runner while family rides
  • Big Thunder
  • Splash Mountain (DH and DS) / Winnie (DD and me)
  • Pirates
  • Jungle Cruise
  • Ride Indiana Jones (using FP)
  • Lunch - Jolly Holiday
  • HOP TO DCA
  • Grab Soarin FP
  • Monster's Inc
  • Tough to be a Bug
  • Ride Soarin (using FP)
  • Dinner - Character meal at Goofy's Kitchen
  • Back to hotel
Day 2 - Wed Aug 30
  • START AT DL (early entry is DCA)
  • Jedi Training Sign Up (note-assigned time may change below - try for afternoon)
  • Grab Star Tours FP
  • Grab Fantasmic FP if exists
  • Matterhorn
  • Ride Star Tours (using FP)
  • Grab Buzz Light FP
  • Autopia
  • Ride Buzz Light (using FP)
  • Grab Indiana Jones FP
  • Splash Mountain (DH and DS) / Winnie (DD and me)
  • Ride Indiana Jones (using FP)
  • Lunch - Galactic Grill or Earl of Disney
  • If not in Downtown Disney - It's a Small World and Roger Rabbit
  • ...other stuff...
  • Dinner - Carnation Cafe or Quick Service
  • Fantasmic
Day 3 - Thurs Aug 31
  • START AT DCA (early entry is DL)
  • Avengers Training Sign Up (note-assigned time may change below - try for afternoon)
  • Grab Radiator Springs FP (or Guardians of Galaxy if DS wants to ride it)
  • Toy Story
  • Mater
  • Luigi
  • Ride Radiator Springs (using FP) ...or Guardians of Galaxy if DS wants to ride it
  • Grab Guardians of Galaxy FP (or Radiator Springs if Guardians of Galaxy was earlier)
  • Ride Guardians of Galaxy (using FP) ...or Radiator Springs if Guardians of Galaxy was earlier
  • Lunch - Wine Country Tratoria (WOC dining package)
  • Dinner - Pacific Wharf Cafe
  • World of Colour
Day 2 - Fri Sept 1
  • START AT DL (early entry is DCA)
  • no specific plan - go on rides again that kids want (DL or hop to DCA)
  • Lunch - White Water Snacks or other
  • Dinner - Cafe Orleans
  • catch fireworks if we can
P.S. - I moved our character meal to the first night and Cafe Orleans to the last night. It seems like a nice way to end the first day and then we'll head back to the hotel when done after a full day (and not feel rushed at the character meal)

Last edited:
Just read through your trip report! We are headed to LA on July 28 and flying back August 5. This will be my first time at Disneyland. We decided to rent an Airbnb condo across the street from Downtown Disney the whole week, even though we landed on just two days at Disney (it's just my husband and I with my parents and brothers). Really saved some money for 6 adults! Comes out to about $115/night when divided by two (husband and I pay for half, parents pay for half).

Thanks for posting all of your plans! I am the Disney planner of the group and have only decided what food are "must eats" while we are there. My main thing is making sure I understand their Fastpass system and then wing it.

We decided on Universal and Newport Beach for some LA days, but we don't have much else concrete. We are actually driving to Big Bear Lake on Thursday (August 3) to finish out the week.

Looking forward to following along the rest of your planning and getting some ideas!

Hi. Great to see others are reading my pre-report. :-)
Same here with it being first time at Disneyland. Have you been to WDW? So nice that you're coming with your family.

Ha ha...I've also done the 'must eats' at DL and DCA. So many yummy looking places. Hard to narrow it down to just a few.
Sounds like you have a great trip planned with also adding in Universal and a beach day.

Have a great trip. It's coming up soon. Hope you'll report back on it.

So Excited but Worried (Unrelated)

Whoo hoo....Our dining reservations are booked (or our booking to be able to reserve a table as I know they are not really reservations)!
Goofy's Kitchen for our night 1 (then we'll head back to the hotel afterwards). Carnation Cafe for night 2. Wine Country Trattoria (WOC dining package for lunch) for day 3. Cafe Orleans for day 4. So excited as it makes it feel more real.

Totally unrelated but I've started having issues with my feet (have always had issues with shoes). Before our WDW in 2014 trip I tried getting new runners and my left toe hurt from then on. Thankfully I discovered Go Walks about a few weeks before our trip and this was my savoir. Well now even my Go Walks are pinching and causing pain/numbness on the sides of my foot (something else may be going on than just uncomfortable shoes). I even tried a new pair of Go Walks since my other pair is a few years old now but same thing. Am in a panic since I need shoes for LA/Universal/Disney. The past 2 weekends I've gone to the mall but found nothing. So I then ordered 2 pairs of Teva sandals to try from Amazon as they seem highly recommended on this forum. Don't know what I'll do if these don't work. It's a real problem...and even daily at home now my feet really hurt. To get around I bought a cheap pair of open sandals but I'm not used to the string between my toes. Ugh. Praying at least one of the Teva sandals do the trick. They should be arriving this week.

The News is Out

We (well I) started planning this Disney trip last August, and with every booking, I so wanted to tell our kids. However, our son keeps saying how he wants to be surprised about a trip so have been holding off. DH wanted to tell them as we are driving to the airport, but that wouldn’t work. Our kids go to camp and that 8th week we are pulling them out of the Thursday. Thus, they needed to know that the Wednesday would be their last day so they could say goodbye to everyone.

So after discussions, DH and I decided to tell them the August long weekend. However, that day got pushed up due to my son seeing the camp schedule. When I picked him up last week he said he had something funny to show me. He lead me over to the attendance for the after care and said ‘Look. It says that we are not here for the 8 weeks’. Oops. He let it go, but our younger one kept asking twice daily ‘when are you going to tell us why we aren’t there last week?’

So I ended up setting up a scavenger hunt. Each clue had a subtle clue on it such as a sunshine (for LA weather), picture of Harry Potter (for Universal), a DS/ipad (for keeping them busy on the plane), etc. Then the last clue mentioned “what makes a great summer of camp followed by…”. Then this lead them to a clue of pictures….rides (Splash, Toy Story), characters (star wars, Goofy from the character meal, castle with the main 5), Radiator Springs (which they wouldn’t know but you can tell it’s a ride), Universal pictures (Harry Potter land, studio tour, Simpsons, and a couple Hollywood pictures (the sign, Santa Monica Pier),etc.

Final Clue:

The scavenger hunt was a hit. They had lots of fun, and when they got to the last one, it took them a minute as they only recognized a few of the Disney rides, but they were super excited when they understood what it meant.

The News is Out

We (well I) started planning this Disney trip last August, and with every booking, I so wanted to tell our kids. However, our son keeps saying how he wants to be surprised about a trip so have been holding off. DH wanted to tell them as we are driving to the airport, but that wouldn’t work. Our kids go to camp and that 8th week we are pulling them out of the Thursday. Thus, they needed to know that the Wednesday would be their last day so they could say goodbye to everyone.

So after discussions, DH and I decided to tell them the August long weekend. However, that day got pushed up due to my son seeing the camp schedule. When I picked him up last week he said he had something funny to show me. He lead me over to the attendance for the after care and said ‘Look. It says that we are not here for the 8 weeks’. Oops. He let it go, but our younger one kept asking twice daily ‘when are you going to tell us why we aren’t there last week?’

So I ended up setting up a scavenger hunt. Each clue had a subtle clue on it such as a sunshine (for LA weather), picture of Harry Potter (for Universal), a DS/ipad (for keeping them busy on the plane), etc. Then the last clue mentioned “what makes a great summer of camp followed by…”. Then this lead them to a clue of pictures….rides (Splash, Toy Story), characters (star wars, Goofy from the character meal, castle with the main 5), Radiator Springs (which they wouldn’t know but you can tell it’s a ride), Universal pictures (Harry Potter land, studio tour, Simpsons, and a couple Hollywood pictures (the sign, Santa Monica Pier),etc.

Final Clue:

The scavenger hunt was a hit. They had lots of fun, and when they got to the last one, it took them a minute as they only recognized a few of the Disney rides, but they were super excited when they understood what it meant.
I love the scavenger hunt! That is so awesome! I love the photos you chose, too...very representational, enough to make anyone giddy with excitement. I bet the kids are on cloud 9. :cloud9: You guys are all going to have so much fun (also, hello! Not sure that I commented on here yet, but followed over from the August trip thread).

~Meg

I love the scavenger hunt! That is so awesome! I love the photos you chose, too...very representational, enough to make anyone giddy with excitement. I bet the kids are on cloud 9. :cloud9: You guys are all going to have so much fun (also, hello! Not sure that I commented on here yet, but followed over from the August trip thread).

~Meg

Thanks so much. I love little projects (especially Disney related) so was fun putting together. And our kids loved running around our house with clues..and then the excitement on their faces was priceless. It's nice too since now I can talk to them about decisions, etc.

Fantasmic vs WOC Dining Package

Our family really enjoys shows (not being in them but watching them…lol). Since we have never been to Disneyland this would be our first time seeing World of Colour (WOC). Just from pictures, it looks amazing so can imagine the awe seeing it in person. We have seen Fantasmic at WDW and thus, originally, we had booked WOC dining package as it was new to us (Wine Country Trattoria) and we were going to try Fantasmic via FastPass. However, Fantasmic just returned after a long hiatus so many will want to see it. Moreover I recently learned that starting the week we are coming, Fantasmic will only be showing on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings. Luckily, we do have a Disney day on the Friday but that is Labor Day weekend…also known as marathon weekend…and the Friday is supposed to be very busy. Thus, time for a change of plans...I booked a dining package for Fantasmic (River Belle Terrace). We selected the regular dining package where you get an allocated spot to sit (on the ground). There is a premium package but people say that the view isn’t as good from the restaurant so we stuck with the regular dining package. With the booking I had to move things around so I moved Café Orleans to Wed, and cancelled Carnation Café.

Current Meals Booked
  • Tues – Goofy’s Kitchen
  • Wed – Café Orleans
  • Thurs – WOC Dining Package (Wine Country Trattoria)
  • Fri – Fantasmic Dining Package (River Belle Terrace)
So what to do about WOC? Either we keep the package too (but skip Café Orleans as that is too pricey for all 4). We could do this for just a net difference of $71 CAD, but I really want to try Café Orleans (those Monte Cristo sandwiches and fries look amazing) – plus keeping a regular meal gives us a more flexible menu. Also, with both WOC dining package and FastPass option, you are standing. And from what I heard, you still need to get there 1 – 1.5 hrs ahead of time. I even priced out the WOC Dessert package (only sitting option) but it was way too expensive ($863 CAD for character dinner which we want to keep, WOC dessert package and Fantasmic dinner package!). So we decided to keep Café Orleans and cancel WOC dining package. Still trying to figure out if we are better trying for a blue or yellow FastPass. I know overall it’s best to be at the rail so no one is infront of us. Also not sure if we should try to see it Wed vs Thurs since Thurs will probably be busier due to the same marathon crowds. Or, another option is to try both nights. On the Wed, we won’t be startng at DCA but we could hop over to grab a FastPass and then hop back for the DL rides.

Updated Meals Booked
  • Tues – Goofy’s Kitchen
  • Wed – Café Orleans – hop to DCA and grab FastPass for World of Colour?
  • Thurs – QS – see World of Colour via FastPass (if didn't on Wed or got bad spot to see)

Last edited:
Hotels - Decisions and Price Drops

Yah....4 weeks today we'll be there exploring LA! Getting close! :yay:

Over the past 3 days we've saved $217 CAD on hotels. It always feels good when there is more money in your pocket.

In Hollywood, we had two hotels booked...Hollywood Orchid Suites and Hollywood Celebrity. They are basically side by side and similar hotels. The Orchid Suites has a pool but was also a bit more pricey. However, it is #4 on trip adviser, whereas Hollywood Celebrity is #20 (which really is pretty good too) and the reviews for Orchid Suites consistently has great reviews. The room also looks like it's a bit more spacious (with a kitchen, but don't think we'll use that as I certainly don't want to be cooking on vacation). There was even a price drop on the weekend of $130 CAD so we rebooked and decided on Orchid Suites.

Today I also noticed that our Desert Inn booking had a reduction in cost due to some special promotion they just started. Yah. So another $88 CAD saved.

Hmmm....almost enough savings to get the WOC dessert party package. ...but I think DH would shoot me :furious:

WOC Dessert Party

2 weeks and 1 day until we leave!

Ok...on to this post. I keep hearing how the dessert party is an amazing option for seeing World of Color. Aside from getting a plate of desserts and a drink, you are guaranteed to be able to see. Moreover, you get to sit during the show. So what's the problem? It's so pricey...especially as we also want the Goofy's Kitchen dinner and the Fantasmic Dining package (and Cafe Orleans too)....not to mention Universal, and other tours while in LA.

From my post the other week, we had switched our WOC dining package booking to Fantasmic package and we were going to try for a FastPass for WOC. However, I kept coming back to the WOC dessert party. You keep hearing only good things, and I really have no idea where to even try for a FastPass. And if we don't get a spot by a rail (which requires you to get in line 1.5 hrs early), then someone taller than us can end up blocking our view. So I started reasoning...this will be our only trip to Disney CA since LA isn't exactly next door to Ontario. And DH and I work both hard so that we can do things for our kids. So we decided to go for it...and even keep our Cafe Orleans reservation. We can cut back in other ways like watching our other meals.

When we told our kids my son's face lit up (probably more at the fact that he gets a full plate of dessert for himself...lol)

So Updated Meals Booked
  • Tues – Goofy’s Kitchen
  • Wed – Café Orleans
  • Thurs – World of Colour Dessert Package (this will be our pseudo dinner)

One Week Away

Next week this time we'll be in LA! So exciting!

So I'm getting ready...starting to print things (tickets, dining reservations, quick service notes, touring plans, etc). I've even marked up the Disney maps with attractions and FP locations. I remember going to WDW and the maps they provided weren't as helpful as the ones I had, so thought for Disney CA, I'd print and also mark rides. This will be helpful too since our first time there will be our MM (no standing around of 'where is ...?'). Here's an example:

I've also got a 'To Do' list which am trying to mark off (some tasks are back to school things since we return a couple days before school starts), and a (large) packing list. Today DH asked me if I think we can get away with 1 suitcase? Ah hello! We're going away for 10 days and there are 3 of us. No chance!

In our room, I have lots of piles of my clothes. It's harder to pack ahead of time for our kids now since the'll need a lot of their summer clothes next week at camp. On the weekend will figure out what they'll wear Mon, Tues and Wed to camp and then can pack the rest (with a last minute laundry load on Tues or Wed).

Got some cooling towels and collapsible water bottles. DH thinks I'm nuts...but hopefully will be thanking me when we're there.

Can't believe this trip has been in the works since last August and now it's almost here.

Last edited:
3 Days and Counting!

Only 3 days until we leave. So excited! I'm working today but very hard to concentrate (and thus I am writing this post...:ssst:).

I do the organising for myself and our 2 kids (DH can do his own). Our bedroom is a mess with piles and piles of clothes...and then other stuff such as purses/bags, sunscreen, hats, extra shoes, carry on stuff, paper print outs (maps, tickets, lists). The washroom is covered with toiletries. For me, those probably take up just as much space as the clothes...lol. One thing I always find a challenge when staying in a hotel with luggage is finding everything...the socks and shorts to match the top. So I've organized to the point where for my kids I know exactly what they are wearing each day. And for my DD, I've bundled outfits and put then in plastic bags so can just grab in the morning and it's all there. DH thinks I'm nuts but as long as I'm not adding tons of space to the suitcase he just smiles and goes along.

DH's job on the weekend was to make sure the camera was charged (he's questioning why I'm even bringing a camera but am not convinced our phones print as nice) and to set up movies for the kids and I on our phones/tablets. We have 5 hr flight so that might be a little rough.

Yesterday we purchased tickets for Universal and an LA Tour. Still need to purchase for Warner Brother's Tour. Deciding if we wait until we get there to buy the tickets but not sure if they sell out for specific times and then we'll have to sit around and wait. Advantage to not pre-purchasing is that we aren't set on a time (since it's holiday) but on the flip side, we'll also want to hit Santa Monica Pier area so don't want wasted time.

Very excited for Disney. There are lots of rides that aren't at WDW such as Mr Toad, Pinocchio, Snow White, Alice, Indiana Jones (but I probably won't ride due to eye issues), Matterhorn (also won't ride) and then the whole Carsland at DCA. Super excited for WOC too. Still need to decide if I"ll go on things like Big Thunder (one of my favourites at WDW but also iffy due to eye issues - having said that, it's a roller coaster but not a big adult one so it's probably ok). DS loves Splash so is really excited to go on that again (not sure if it differs at DL). Too bad Haunted Mansion will be closed but based on our dates, I knew that.

Not much longer...:yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter