Canoe or Kayak

rajak73

DIS Veteran
Has anyone canoed or Kayaked at Fort Wilderness? Where can you go with the Kayaks and is it worth it? DW and I may want to try Kayaking while we are there,

I've kayaked. It was fun...saw a baby gator sunning itself on the bank. The one thing is to pay attention to where you go...I turned down the wrong canal going back (it was a dead-end) and had to double back. In addition, last January I came back to my 200 loop site one afternoon to find a CM with several canoes, paddles, and life-vests sitting at the front of my site. Asked her what happened and apparently some folks got lost, got spooked/panicked and tried to exit the canal behind my site. In the process, they turned over one of the canoes...yukky water in there! CM was waiting for a truck to come to pick up all the stuff....

Lesson: pay attention to the map and your turns! It was fun so I'd do it again if the weather is nice.

We canoed in FW a few years back. The last several times we have been there, I have not seen any canoes/kayaks in the water. I was curious if the alligator attack from two years ago halted the activities.

When we canoed last, we saw an entire family capsize their canoe, loose multiple personal items (glasses, keys) and attempt to recover them. We helped them back to the bike barn. I don't think they enjoyed their "three-hour tour." :)

Thanks for the info. My son is interested in this for our upcoming trip. We are staying on site , but not at Ft Wilderness. Can we still rent kayaks / canoes there?

Thank you for the information the ladies I am traveling with would love to do this while we are down in WDW

We enjoyed it. I would recommend the hour, we did a half hour and felt rushed to get back.

We did this back in Jan. of this year. We seen a few ducks, turtles and an alligator sunning itself. I believe they do the 1/2 hr. / 1 hr. rate but you can take your time and enjoy nature. The price we paid was prorated, we canoed for more than 1/2 hr. but less than 1 hr. and paid a little more than the 1/2 hr. price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter