Canon EOS 20D/20Da firmware update version 2.0.3

Learic

Earning My Ears
And for those lucky individuals who have the Canon 20D, here's some news for you! Canon released a new firmware update on the same day as the firmware update for the 350D!

This firmware update (version 2.0.3) incorporates the following additions and improvements:
• Fixes a problem in color temperature information transmission that occurred when using Speedlite 430EX.
• Improves reliability in communicaion when using CF cards.

This fIrmware update applies to cameras with firmware versions up to 2.0.2 installed. If your camera's firmware is already version 2.0.3, it is not necessary to perform this update.

Hi Learic,

I have the 20D which I absolutely L O V E even though I haven't really had to time to learn to use it properly. I have had this camera for about 10 months and have never updated the firmware. I kind of go by the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. Can you explain to me why I should be updating the firmware?

Thanks!

BeautyLLM said:
Hi Learic,

\I kind of go by the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. Can you explain to me why I should be updating the firmware?

Thanks!

to make sure your camera is working at it's best

I guess I hesitate because I read somewhere along the way (maybe dpreview) that sometimes these upgrades cause more problems than they fix. Any experience with that?

I have the same mentality, I have had my Canon since March or so and all is well. I haven't updated anything.

I have the 10D, predecessor to your 20D. I always update the firmware when it's offered. Best to keep your camera working at 100%. If Canon has identified a problem, then read the firmware info and, if it recommends the update for your camera, dowload it. Sometimes they will say that if you are not seeing the problem, you don't need the update. I've never had a problem with any firmware updates I've downloaded (have only had a couple since I bought the camera a few years ago).

BeautyLLM said:
Hi Learic,

I have the 20D which I absolutely L O V E even though I haven't really had to time to learn to use it properly. I have had this camera for about 10 months and have never updated the firmware. I kind of go by the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. Can you explain to me why I should be updating the firmware?

Thanks!

I only have a Canon 350D (rebel xt) so I'm not as lucky as you! I wanted the 20D but couldn't afford it at the time! When it comes to the firmware upgrades, I usually wait at least a month after it is released before I flash mine. It's not because I think there is something wrong with the new firmware, I'm sure Canon does extensive testing when they make the new firmware, it's just something I have learned to do with computers, video cards, etc in my line of work. Now if it fixes something related to a function of the camera that I am having problems with, I immediately drop the new one on it but that rarely happens. The issues that they tend to fix are minor flaws found later after the product is released.

As for this one, the 350D has a firmware release that I posted here as well that was released on the same day. Both firmwares appear to address a reliability issue with the communication for the CF card. Right now I have no issues with my camera reading/writing to the CF, I have had no dropped photos as some have had in the past, so I'll wait a month to see how it pans out before I update mine!

Becareful when updating... I've read a lot of people have had issues :( I did the first update but not the last 2. I am waiting... I do not seem to have any issues...soooo

You have to format a memory card, go to canon's site and get the firmware, transfer it to the memory card and on my camera I have an update firmware I choose... it does the rest for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter