Can't believe I'm going to miss this!!! Howe's jersey to be retired in Houston

Grog

Semper Gumby
I would kill to be at this game. At least if I have to miss it it is for a good reason...Disneyland!!!!

Saturday, April 5
7:30 PM

Opponent: Grand Rapids Griffins

MR. HOCKEY’S AEROS JERSEY TO BE RETIRED

February 20, 2003 - HOUSTON – The Houston Aeros announced today the Aeros jersey worn by Mr. Hockey, Gordie Howe, will be retired on Saturday, April 5 when the Aeros host the Grand Rapids Griffins (primary affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings) at 7:30 p.m.

Howe will help close out the final season for the Aeros in Compaq Center. He will appear at the final regular season game only six days after his 75th birthday.

The first game ever played by the Aeros was on October 12, 1972, in the Sam Houston Coliseum. On September 25, 1973, Gordie Howe stepped out on the ice wearing sweater number nine for the Aeros team. Howe played alongside his two sons, Marty and Mark, during his career with the Aeros. They became the first father and sons combination in sports history, and won back-to-back championships in 1974 and 1975.

President and General Manager Dave Barr said, “It’s a privilege to welcome Mr. Hockey back to Compaq Center. He and his wife Colleen, along with their sons Marty and Mark, were highly instrumental in putting hockey on the map in Houston! We want to honor him by retiring his Aeros jersey.”

Gordie Howe is the only athlete to ever have his jersey retired by three teams (Detroit Red Wings, Hartford Whalers and Houston Aeros). Mr. Hockey tallied 369 points during his four seasons with the Aeros. He was the league's Most Valuable Player at the age of 45 during the 1973-74 season.

The history of Houston hockey dates back to May 1946 when Houston was part of the United States Hockey League. Houston became the Aeros on April 15, 1972, when Dayton, Ohio lost its franchise. The current Aeros maintained the name to honor NASA in Houston.

LOL!!! I'm dissapointed, not crazy. Plus as soon as I step foot on the plaza at DLR I'll feel much better :D

I this the first number the Aeros will have retired?

Yep. If this was anything but a trip to DL, I would reschedule. We have a couple of fans that post game pics on the Aeros forum after each game. Hopefully they will get some pics of this that I can check out when I get home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter