can't find turtle place by paradise cove (edited: now with directions and photos!)

Good luck not getting yourself a ticket or arrested next time. Your behavior in that video could easily result in both. There are quiet frequently undercover people on the beach handing out tickets. You think I"m joking, but I'm not. They are protected, and the state takes that VERY seriously. Especially your little remark where "you don't think you see anyone so you think it's ok" It's not ok. They don't even have to see you. Video or photo proof is enough. Just ask these guys: http://khon2.com/2017/11/30/visitors-fined-for-holding-endangered-turtle-on-hawaii-beach/

Thank you for saying this. I'd just like to note that lots of individuals here feel very protective of our animals here. I have the DNLR number in my phone and there is no shame on my part to call them and take pics of the offenders. Hawaii is not a petting zoo and the animals are not here for entertainment. Treating them as such is, as my co-worker says, "Wan serious pilikia, brah!".

Glad to see the majority of the ppl here understand respecting the turtles... When we went there were people there letting their kids WAY too close and basically not allowing anyone to see because they crowded around it so much. I have a video of the kids feet kicking the turtle. It really dampened the experience for me because God forbid you say anything about the way someone is parenting their child.... It was a no win situation for me. Poor turtles.

We really want to see turtles (are also going to dive in places that are known to have them). I always enjoy seeing animals in the wild, it gives such a majestic feeling to see them were they need to be. What is the correct distance to keep from the animals and what do you do if they come towards you?

I’m not sure about the distance on land, but when I have encountered animals while swimming, I just stayed in one spot. Better to let the animal maneuver easily around me then to try and clunkily maneuver around them.

It really dampened the experience for me because God forbid you say anything about the way someone is parenting their child.... It was a no win situation for me. Poor turtles.
Telling people it’s illegal really works, because it’s the truth and it’s a little scary. So that way you don’t have to address the children specifically.

I usually tell people to take their photo (because we all want a photo) and then move to where the turtles aren't. Especially at paradise cove.

The problem is that people do feed the turtles, so now the turtles have started swimming right up to people looking for food. This is bad for the turtles and ultimately will reduce their numbers. People think "oh, the turtles want to check me out!" no, the turtles want food. Their natural behavior has been modified by people and eventually they won't feed naturally in that place anymore and they'll stop coming.

If people move and stay away from the turtles then the turtles will stop associating people with food.

Like Midoria said, if you can't get out of their way, it's best to just stay put until you can.

But again, if the turtle is hitting you with a flipper, then you should exit.

If you see someone deliberately touching or kicking the turtles, or even just crowding around them not letting them have free reign of their water, that is considered harassment. Someone will take your photo and someone WILL call.

I'm telling you all, they take this very seriously especially lately, because it's gotten so out of hand - especially when once quiet spots are now invaded.

I'm telling you all, they take this very seriously especially lately, because it's gotten so out of hand - especially when once quiet spots are now invaded.
Exactly. Of course, more people = more harassment. For a state that relies on tourism to survive, I think the local government does a poor job educating vacationers about respecting animals. They need to beef it up with signs everywhere - including hotels. Hawaiian Air needs to stop showing that stupid pre-landing Na Hoku commercial and have something about how to treat wildlife.

I’m not sure about the distance on land, but when I have encountered animals while swimming, I just stayed in one spot. Better to let the animal maneuver easily around me then to try and clunkily maneuver around them.

Telling people it’s illegal really works, because it’s the truth and it’s a little scary. So that way you don’t have to address the children specifically.

I did loudly say to my husband, it's illegal to touch them, they are protected. But it did nothing to deter the parents from encouraging their kids to continue the behavior.

I did loudly say to my husband, it's illegal to touch them, they are protected. But it did nothing to deter the parents from encouraging their kids to continue the behavior.
Yeah, you generally have to say it right to the people. Eitherwise they will pretend not to hear you, or they really won't hear.

Thank you for the foolproof directions with pics! And the turtle pics are amazing, really makes me excited to do this the next time we're at Aulani :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!