***Can't keep us down...OFFICIAL MAY 2021 THREAD...come heck or high water we're going to WDW!!!***

I wouldn’t cancel anything just yet. Who knows what it will be like in May. A lot can happen in 9 months. Just try to stay positive!
Our daughter is bringing her girlfriend. It will be her first time. If it was just DW and I we would go no matter what. I just don’t want it to be a pared down experience for her. Disney is going the wrong direction. I am quickly losing hope for May.

With the shortened park hours I am lightly thinking of cancelling our May trip. We are planning to bring our adult kids with us. It’s an awfully expensive vacation for such short park hours when the park time is what they are after. We have to make a decision pretty soon so we can bank our points.

My thought is they always shorten hours in the fall. This decision felt reasonable to me.

Even if things aren’t the old normal by May I think there will be enough set in stone that makes most experiences better than right now. So for now I am still set for May knowing anything can happen 🙂

Our daughter is bringing her girlfriend. It will be her first time. If it was just DW and I we would go no matter what. I just don’t want it to be a pared down experience for her. Disney is going the wrong direction. I am quickly losing hope for May.
If that’s how you feel, then cancel. But I don’t think that I would book anything until 2022 then if I were you. Who the heck knows how things will change. But life totally can change by then. I still think it’s enough time away that it can be different

The new hrs aren't giving me enthusiasm, that's for sure. But as others said, things change like crazy and it may be totally different next May!!!

So let's keep positive!

But if anyone chooses to cancel next May, just let me know and I will take your name off the list. :)

Joining! It will be myself, my mom, my DD (5) and DS (nearly 2). We were supposed to go for a week this past May but obviously that trip was cancelled. We are planning a two week trip next year to make up for the missed trip. We will be in a one bedroom at either BLT or VGF from May 15-29 . I truly hope we are able to go next year. We live on an island that has been relatively spared by COVID (currently only 4 active cases in the entire country) but obviously international flying and quarantines may still be an issue. As we are currently living abroad, we have not been able to see our families since COVID hit so I'm really hoping the kids get some much anticipated time with their grandma! Any help deciding between BLT and VGF is very welcome. We have stayed at BLT many times and enjoy the short walk to MK and the nightly view of the fireworks from our room. Although, I would love to try something new, 2 weeks is a long time to stay somewhere if we end up not loving it.

Hello!!! :welcome::welcome::welcome:

Happy to have you! I put on the list with both hotel options, when you finalize, just let me know!

Just a thought, the walkway to MK from Grand Floridian will be done by next May (I'm almost positive) and you can then walk from locations. :)

We were talking with my brother last night, about how we'd feel if these were the hrs next May.

The issue for us is we go for such a long time, 9 nights! I'm having trouble thinking how we'd fill up those nights.
It would depend on how many hotels are open I suppose. Although, we'd have to pay for Ubers since there will be no transportation between hotels and parks will be closed.
And if Gran Destino is open (where we are booked), will all bar/restaurant options be open. Will the pools be open later...

My hope is that even if the hrs stay shorter, if more people are going by then and capacity restrictions loosen, perhaps they will offer some Disney After Dark nights at the parks. We'd be willing to pay. :)

My brother is meeting us the last 5 nights, so he said he's fine with going to dinner after we leave parks, so probably around 7:30 or 8 and then having drinks at hotel bar at night, just relaxing...

But I'm having a hard time with it, I love the parks in the evening hrs.

Last edited:
We were talking with my brother last night, about how we'd feel if these were the hrs next May.

The issue for us is we go for such a long time, 9 nights! I'm having trouble thinking how we'd fill up those nights.
It would depend on how many hotels are open I suppose. Although, we'd have to pay for Ubers since there will be no transportation between hotels and parks will be closed.
And if Gran Destino is open (where we are booked), will all bar/restaurant options be open. Will the pools be open later...

My hope is that even if the hrs stay shorter, if more people are going by then and capacity restrictions loosen, perhaps they will offer some Disney After Dark nights at the parks. We'd be willing to pay. :)

My brother is meeting us the last 5 nights, so he said he's fine with going to dinner after we leave parks, so probably around 7:30 or 8 and then having drinks at hotel bar at night, just relaxing...

But I'm having a hard time with it, I love the parks in the evening hrs.
Me too. Especially since it’s so much cooler

I'm kind of glad we're off site in May. We will have our own little escape place when we leave the parks. A house with its own pool and kitchen, etc. We will definitely go to the parks -- but we don't have to wonder how we'll entertain ourselves in the evenings if the parks are still closing early (Universal is closing at 5pm these days -- so is Animal Kingdom).

I'm 50% leaning toward canceling for May, but we are very flexible since it's room only and we are driving. We can hold the reservation for a bit. I'm just not feeling it and would cancel now if I had to make the decision today.

I really hope things improve.

I'm 50% leaning toward canceling for May, but we are very flexible since it's room only and we are driving. We can hold the reservation for a bit. I'm just not feeling it and would cancel now if I had to make the decision today.

I really hope things improve.
Oh nooooo :( I’m sorry!! I go through moments of feeling that way too. I still can’t wrap my head around things possibly not being *semi* normal over a year since all this started

I don't think I would even mind the shortened park hours except maybe Epcot. We usually don't do parks after dinner. We treat Disney more of a vacation than just the rides. I'm sure, though, attendance will pick up and they will have to extend the hours.

I don't think I would even mind the shortened park hours except maybe Epcot. We usually don't do parks after dinner. We treat Disney more of a vacation than just the rides. I'm sure, though, attendance will pick up and they will have to extend the hours.
I like going to the parks at night and seeing the fireworks. We may just push it off until 2022 😕 if things don’t improve. Or we will just keep this May trip and cancel our 10 day trip in April, since the May trip is short.

Oh nooooo :( I’m sorry!! I go through moments of feeling that way too. I still can’t wrap my head around things possibly not being *semi* normal over a year since all this started

This has been a very stressful 6 weeks or so for me dealing with school crap. My husband is also doom and gloom about the pandemic lasting forever, so I need to block him out sometimes. lol.

If it weren't for Hamilton on Disney+ I would have lost my mind a month ago. ;)

oh my god! I keep watching videos of Riviera and now I want to stay there sooo bad!

We really can't afford it, so unless we are pushed out of GDT by NBA and I can finagle a reservation there, it will be a 2023 destination. :D

Last edited:
Hi Everyone! Joining in on the MAY fun. We will be staying at BCV from 5/14 through 5/22. We were supposed to go this last May and that didn't happen so we're hoping we'll be there a year later. My parents, siblings, spouses and our kiddos are all going and this will be our first visit to WDW! I'm super excited and staying extra positive that all will be better by then. :earsgirl:

Hi Everyone! Joining in on the MAY fun. We will be staying at BCV from 5/14 through 5/22. We were supposed to go this last May and that didn't happen so we're hoping we'll be there a year later. My parents, siblings, spouses and our kiddos are all going and this will be our first visit to WDW! I'm super excited and staying extra positive that all will be better by then. :earsgirl:

Hello there!!! :flower1: Welcome to May!

First visit and at Beach Club Villas - excellent! Very exciting!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter