Car rental at WDW

pandapants

Earning My Ears
We are planning to stay at the Poly for the first part of our stay and then will be visiting relatives for a couple of days after that. I need to rent a car for my family and have heard that there is a place to rent at WDW instead of going back to the airport. Has anyone had any experience doing this and do you pay through the nose because it is on Disney property? Any information would be appreciated!

Go to www.nationalcar.com to check rates. You can pick up a car at the car care center by the TTC or at the Dolphin (when they start to have rental cars at that location again). The advantage of picking up a car at WDW instead of the airport is that you won't pay the 9.8% airport concession fee.

Thank you very much. Upon your recommendation, I did check them out and compared the National rates at the airport to the same vehicle at the TTC and they do charge a higher price at the TTC (about $8 more for a standard sized vehicle). However, I still came out ahead for some reason at the TTC since the final estimate for two days with a car seat showed $119.84 at the airport and $107.07 at the TTC. There must be some hidden discount somewhere?

A couple more questions:

Over $50/day seems high to me. Do you think I can do better? Any suggestions?

Also, is National the only car rental company at the TTC?

Thanks again! Need to get this ironed out. We leave next week!

Hi pandapants!

As far as I am aware, National is the only car rental company on-site, so I don't think that you can do much better with your rate. Do you have the Disney Club card? If so, there is a discount at National using that card.
As Nancy said - you do not have the Airport consession fee when renting at WDW - so that might be the reason for the price difference.
Depending on what size vehicle that you need - you MAY be better off renting a car by the WEEK. If, when you add up the cost of your transfers AND the cost of a few days with a rental car, you get LESS than what you would pay if you rented for the entire time, then go with renting a car at the airport - or won't you be returning to the airport?

Just something to think about... :)

Thank you BethR. I guess I'll have to do a little more exploring with National. I guess my real issue is that either we go back to the airport after the Poly to rent a car that we'll be able to return to the airport and then take a shuttle to our airport hotel.......OR......I rent a car at the TTC and have to return it to the TTC and take a cab to our airport hotel. Either way we have to spend some money getting back to the airport or airport hotel (either on the front end or the back end). But, as you said, it may be cheaper to rent for a full week and then we'd have the car for the entire time and wouldn't have to worry about this! So I'm off to check it out. Thanks for your suggestions.

Pandapants,

If you decide to rent at TTC, you can indicate you want to drop the car off at the airport. Since it's close by, there may be little to no extra charge for dropping at a location different from initial rental. It would certainly be less than the cost of paying for airport transfers on the return trip.

I'd advocate Beth R's suggestion to check into a week-long rental. If you add up what you will be spending on transportation from the airport to your hotel, for a two day car rental for visiting relatives, and returning from hotel to airport, you might find you fare better with a weekly rental car rate. You mention something about an airport hotel and a shuttle. If you have the rental car, you can still keep it until the day your flight actually leaves and not need the shuttle. And if your hotel is actually in the airport, then return the car when you check in there.

BTW, an advantage to renting at the airport is you have more than National to choose from. National is in the terminal. If you decide to rent for your entire stay from when you arrive, check into the rates for Dollar, L & M. I'm not sure if Avis and Budget are still in terminal, but that can be easily checked into.

Having Disney Club or AAA might help with rental discounts. Be sure to check National's specials online at their website. Much different pricing sometimes than through Travelocity, etc.

Hope this helps!

Sharon

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter