Car rental caution

mjojacob

Earning My Ears
For those renting a car, please take extra caution and do not leave any purses or bags in your car. We learned this the hard way and had our rear passenger window broken out of the rental and my adult daughter and daughter-in-law's bag & purse stolen. I read posts on hear and wish I would have done a double check before leaving the vehicle. And we were only gone less than 10 minutes. These thieves know how to work the system, smash and grab leaving no fingerprints for the police to track. And the car alarm didn't go off either since the door handle wasn't lifted.

Please double check your vehicle to avoid this. They aren't interested in towels nor flip flops...

Sorry to hear that. May I ask specifically where this happened?

Last edited:
I'm so sorry this happened. I have had everything stolen out of our trunk when we visited Disneyland years ago so understand the distress this causes.

I'm so sorry to read this, @mjojacob. I was extra paranoid during our vacaton. Made everyone take everything out of the car and even turned the backseats down so that people could see that there was nothing in the trunk. (Although the windows were so tinted, it was hard to see even that.)

We rented a car through Turo. Hope the car rental co that you used didn't make the claim too difficult to make.

Very sorry this happened to you. I always try to stress when I can how rampant theft and car break-ins are in Hawaii. For anyone else reading, I know this is a big issue at Pearl Harbor too. Pearl Harbor does offer bag check for $5 per bag.

I mentioned this on another thread, but I took a big clear plastic tote bag for junk I wanted to leave in the car so hopefully they’d see it was nothing worth grabbing. IDK if that worked or if we were just lucky, but we didn’t have any issues. Sorry, OP, that’s an awful thing any day but especially on your vacation.

Sorry to hear this happened to you. I am always worried about this when we travel.

Never leaves valuables in rental cars in Oahu. Especially on the west side of the island.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter