Carnival cancels some of its cruises until Spring 2021 - What about DCL?

mmouse37

DCL Diva!!
Carnival announced today that they will cancel all cruises until Spring 2021 and sell off 18 ships.

My gut is telling me most cruise lines will follow suit, including DCL.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/carnival-cruises-cancels-trips-spring-131447520.html
I know DCL canceled some December cruises but I can't help but think that the remaining December cruises will be canceled as well. Honestly, I thought DCL would come back early in 2021 but now seeing that Carnival is canceling until Spring makes me think most, if not all cruiselines will follow suit.

Sad....

MJ

I don't think Carnival has cancelled ALL cruises, it's cruises on 4 particular ships (those ones seem to be overseas cruises to Australia and Asia).

"Four ships — Carnival Magic, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Valor, and Carnival Spirit — have all been delayed voyage until between March and May 2021. "

I think with them adding 5 more ships to be sold or scrapped as reported recently they are shifting the fleet around and that is probably what is resulting in some cancellations of specific cruises out of certain ports, I've not seen any indication that ALL cruises from Carnival are cancelled, in fact I think I read somewhere that they're planning on restarting on a reduced capacity sometime in November or early December. Disney has cancelled certain itineraries through Dec 15th I believe, however with 3 of the ships (Magic, Fantasy & Dream) in dry dock in Brest, France, it doesn't appear to be gearing up for sailings anytime before those dates, to allow for the reconfiguration/refresh of those ships to accommodate new health protocols due to Covid-19.

I copied this from a USA Today article talking about the same thing. Notice there are some US ports on the list...

Carnival Magic

Itineraries from Miami are canceled until March 13.

Carnival Paradise

Itineraries from Tampa are canceled until March 19.

Carnival Valor

Itineraries from New Orleans are canceled until April 29.

Carnival Spirit

Itineraries from Brisbane are canceled through May 16.

The first sailing will be the Singapore to Brisbane voyage on June 12

It’s only specific ships till Spring. They still have bookable cruises on their website to the Bahamas and Caribbean from Florida for Nov and Dec this year. If they cancelled all sailings till Spring, you would think their website would be the first to reflect that news.

I just didn’t realize how big a player Carnival Corp is in the cruise industry.

In selling 18 ships, they are removing 17% of their fleet, while only losing 12% of capacity (older, smaller ships). Even postponing these 4 ships isn’t such a big dent, numbers-wise.

They account for 45% of the world cruise market.

(Source: Washington Post)

with 3 of the ships (Magic, Fantasy & Dream) in dry dock in Brest, France, it doesn't appear to be gearing up for sailings anytime before those dates, to allow for the reconfiguration/refresh of those ships to accommodate new health protocols due to Covid-19.

Just curious about the France Dry dock. I haven't heard anything about it or seen any articles saying they were there adding covid protocol items. Super curious. I did notice 3 DCL ships were together in France, and wondered why.

Seeing they haven't cancelled all cruises, they may be prepping a plan to sail from certain ports with reduced occupancy in the winter - after the CDC talks to them.

Here is the full monty:

Just curious about the France Dry dock. I haven't heard anything about it or seen any articles saying they were there adding covid protocol items. Super curious. I did notice 3 DCL ships were together in France, and wondered why.
There’s nothing official. We are all just speculating. The Dream was due for a dry dock anyway, but it makes sense to do the COVID updates when the ships are in the yard anyway.

I just didn’t realize how big a player Carnival Corp is in the cruise industry.

In selling 18 ships, they are removing 17% of their fleet, while only losing 12% of capacity (older, smaller ships). Even postponing these 4 ships isn’t such a big dent, numbers-wise.

They account for 45% of the world cruise market.

(Source: Washington Post)
Yes, they are the largest player, but those 18 ships are being shed from all of their brands together - incl. Carnival, Princess, HAL, Costa, P&O, AIDA, etc.

The Fantasy has a vibration issue, so they sent it to a shipyard that specializes in fixing that type of stuff. The Dream is the sister ship, so I would imagine that they would take a look at her. The Magic had been in Euorpe for a while prior.

Thank you all I stand corrected that it is not all their sailings. The way the broadcaster phrased it on the news led me to believe ALL were cancelled. I will edit title.

It gives me a bit more hope then!!!

MJ

CDC director said yesterday that a vaccine at the earliest won't be widely available until mid-2021. Not sure many cruise ports are going to want to welcome ships until passengers are vaccinated.

The Fantasy has a vibration issue, so they sent it to a shipyard that specializes in fixing that type of stuff. The Dream is the sister ship, so I would imagine that they would take a look at her. The Magic had been in Euorpe for a while prior.

I've seen plenty of complaints about the Fantasy's vibration (and experienced it as well) but have never seen anything mentioned about the Dream (nor experienced it). Guess we can all speculate.

I've seen plenty of complaints about the Fantasy's vibration (and experienced it as well) but have never seen anything mentioned about the Dream (nor experienced it). Guess we can all speculate.
You are not going to experience this issue if you are just coasting between Bahamas and Florida. If Dream was clean, they would swap the two itineraries out in an instant.

I remember them telling us to fill our bathtubs with water prior to midnight the year 2000. Yeah, that media. This was before Twitter and Myface so it was all mainstream media. That was a clue way back then.
Also they told us to get cash from the banks because the ATMs were not going work.

Carnival announced today that they will cancel all cruises until Spring 2021 and sell off 18 ships.

My gut is telling me most cruise lines will follow suit, including DCL.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/carnival-cruises-cancels-trips-spring-131447520.html
I know DCL canceled some December cruises but I can't help but think that the remaining December cruises will be canceled as well. Honestly, I thought DCL would come back early in 2021 but now seeing that Carnival is canceling until Spring makes me think most, if not all cruiselines will follow suit.

Sad....

MJ
I did not read the comments so parts of this was already said, I apologize:

Carnival did not cancel all cruises until Spring 2021. They cancelled cruises from 4 ships because they need a little more TLC (new requirements from the CDC in order to keep guests safe from COVID). The place where they were supposed to have their dry dock was closed for a while (lockdown because of the pandemic) and they are running late on their schedule. So the dry docks have been pushed back and they decided to suspend all sailings on those ships until the dry dock.

Carnival Corp sold 13 ships among all their brands (older ones who cost more in repairs, like 4 of the fantasy class on Carnival) a few weeks ago but they just announced that they would be selling 5 more. We don't which ones yet. Could be on Carnival, Costa or else. TBD.

ADD: I doubt that there will be any sailings before mid-December 2020. I don't think everyone will have to be vaccined before they sail again but I could see them start sailing only by the end of March...

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!