CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, goodness, we are now looking at the 14 night Journey cruise on Triumph next May! It has 8 sea days and only hits 5 ports; 4 of which we have never been (Colon, Panama-Puerto Limon, Costa Rica-Grand Cayman-Half Moon Cay). Much to discuss with the family over the next couple of days.

I love Journey cruises - midnight buffet, Captain's Celebrations, crew connections, crafts on sea days - I love all of the extras that you get. Plus 80s throwback sea day, crew glee club, lectures and behind the seas tours and lectures.

View attachment 327324 Picture: This beauty is the Veendam, docked in the Old Port of Montreal.

I guess we can never get enough cruises. DH and I are currently contemplating going on a Canada & New England cruise departing from our hometown, Montreal. However, I think only Holland America do it. I googled their ships. They look amazing (!!!) and if you book last minute, they have pretty amazing deals (400$/pp for an inside cabin for the one that was departing yesterday!) ...

We decided to sacrifice 1/3 of our usual "date night" weekly budget and put it into savings in order to try to squeeze one more cruise in next years schedule. We don't know if it's going to work but we want to try.

We did a 10-night on HAL from Quebec to NYC and it was one of our favorite cruise itineraries. We loved the ship and we did got upgraded from an oceanview to a verandah -- the verandah is a necessity on this cruise! I highly recommend this cruise.

We did a 10-night on HAL from Quebec to NYC and it was one of our favorite cruise itineraries. We loved the ship and we did got upgraded from an oceanview to a verandah -- the verandah is a necessity on this cruise! I highly recommend this cruise.

Sounds like the ship they use for that itinerary will be different next year.

I'll be honest, if we can manage to squeeze one more cruise in our schedule, chances are we are going to stick to an inside cabin to reduce the costs. However, it looks like each ship has many lounges and exterior sections, all offering a nice view. :)

Sounds like the ship they use for that itinerary will be different next year.

I'll be honest, if we can manage to squeeze one more cruise in our schedule, chances are we are going to stick to an inside cabin to reduce the costs. However, it looks like each ship has many lounges and exterior sections, all offering a nice view. :)

Yes, the lounges are great. But be prepared to settle in for a nice viewing morning only to have the lounge taken over by a rumba class or other activity LOL My poor DH was shooed out of many a "quiet" non-open bar area by sudden loud activities.

Yes, the lounges are great. But be prepared to settle in for a nice viewing morning only to have the lounge taken over by a rumba class or other activity LOL My poor DH was shooed out of many a "quiet" non-open bar area by sudden loud activities.

If I go on this cruise I'll try to pay attention to the schedule. :P

You can put us in the roll call for the Horizon, 6/23/19 6 night. It will be our first cruise non DCL. So I guess I will love the Horizon since I have no Carnival comparison. Someone on this board gave me the idea to book the Havana area, and a less crowded kid-free pool and hot tub set up sold me on it. I've said this before, but our 6 night Carnival costs as much as our 3 night Fantasy next month.

I was looking at HAL's Boston to Montreal cruises in the fall, but I wasn't sure about the atmosphere and activities that would be offered. I imagine it's a much older crowd and wondering if the activities will reflect that.

You can put us in the roll call for the Horizon, 6/23/19 6 night. It will be our first cruise non DCL. So I guess I will love the Horizon since I have no Carnival comparison. Someone on this board gave me the idea to book the Havana area, and a less crowded kid-free pool and hot tub set up sold me on it. I've said this before, but our 6 night Carnival costs as much as our 3 night Fantasy next month.

Congrats! I added you to the roll call.

I think if you keep your heart and your mind open you might enjoy the Carnival difference (not sure I phrase this correctly but I mean that some things Carnival does differently are quite pleasant).

I have done a similar itinerary but on the Vista (similar to the Horizon) non-Havana and it is still my favorite cruise experience so far. I can imagine how nice the Havana section must be (on top of the rest).

If I may suggest: IMO the Steakhouse (35$/pp), Jiji Asian Kitchen dinner (15$/pp) and Bonsai Sushi (à la carte) are outstanding and I recommend you book them (Bonsai is walk-in though).

If you like barbecue, Pig and Anchor is great (I'm obsessed with it.) The counter is included. The restaurant is extra $ but still affordable (I'm dying to try it!).

Can't wait to see what you'll think of it.

Just booked our flights for our September cruise! Could not pass up the $89 non stop from Buffalo to Ft. Lauderdale. So its SW down and JetBlue back. Both nonstop so I'll consider this a win!

And got a email from the upgrade fairy to go from an interior on deck 7 to a balcony on deck six for $498 :scared1: Ummm I could book another cruise for that! Needless to say...I passed.

Just booked our flights for our September cruise! Could not pass up the $89 non stop from Buffalo to Ft. Lauderdale. So its SW down and JetBlue back. Both nonstop so I'll consider this a win!

And got a email from the upgrade fairy to go from an interior on deck 7 to a balcony on deck six for $498 :scared1: Ummm I could book another cruise for that! Needless to say...I passed.

I always get e-mails to upgrade from interior to a port hole. Never got a balcony offer. But, yes... 498$ is almost the price of a cruise.

Yes, we most definitely have to cancel :( I'm super bummed but we don't like to go into debt for our vacation and if we can't meet budget then we must change plans.
I understand. Just about every cruise I book more then 3-4 months out gets cancelled or changed. There are a lot of cruises I'd like to do, but I can't afford or I should say I don't have the patience to save up for them. It's more the later because given enough time I guess I could afford just about anything. Sometimes I envy people that can spend two years saving up for their dream vacation. Unfortunately I get antsy and need to cruise at least twice a year.

I understand. Just about every cruise I book more then 3-4 months out gets cancelled or changed. There are a lot of cruises I'd like to do, but I can't afford or I should say I don't have the patience to save up for them. It's more the later because given enough time I guess I could afford just about anything. Sometimes I envy people that can spend two years saving up for their dream vacation. Unfortunately I get antsy and need to cruise at least twice a year.

Same. We had this big Eastern cruise with NCL planned for next spring. We cancelled it as the amount would cover our fall cruise + the "replacement cruise" we booked for April instead.

We just cancelled an X cruise we had booked for next spring break and replaced it with a Carnival Breeze cruise. Both cruises were similarly priced if you consider the $600 onboard credit plus gratuities X Equinox was throwing in. But honestly, we have never spent $600 while on a cruise, except for an onboard booking. We always end up booking our own excursions and just do not end up spending much on ship. Generally a few coffees and a few t-shirts. lol. The Breeze is Eastern out of Canaveral and X was Western out of Fort Lauderdale. We drive, so prefer Canaveral. And X was for window cabins, while we booked balconies on CCL. We really want to try X, but really prefer the CCL cruise!! Anyway, happy with the switch. It seems like every time we look at or book somewhere else lately, we end up back at CCL.

We just cancelled an X cruise we had booked for next spring break and replaced it with a Carnival Breeze cruise. Both cruises were similarly priced if you consider the $600 onboard credit plus gratuities X Equinox was throwing in. But honestly, we have never spent $600 while on a cruise, except for an onboard booking. We always end up booking our own excursions and just do not end up spending much on ship. Generally a few coffees and a few t-shirts. lol. The Breeze is Eastern out of Canaveral and X was Western out of Fort Lauderdale. We drive, so prefer Canaveral. And X was for window cabins, while we booked balconies on CCL. We really want to try X, but really prefer the CCL cruise!! Anyway, happy with the switch. It seems like every time we look at or book somewhere else lately, we end up back at CCL.

Where are you going? Do we have it on the roll call?

I think we have picked our replacement vacation. Not WDW or a cruise. We are going to France for 2 blissful weeks in the Dordogne (perigord noir) area. We can do the whole trip for just what the Princess cruise would have cost (not all the add on's like airfare, hotel, excursions, etc). We will rent a house with a pool, a car and spend our days at markets, touring chateau and seeing prehistoric caves. Maybe another canoe trip too.

I think we have picked our replacement vacation. Not WDW or a cruise. We are going to France for 2 blissful weeks in the Dordogne (perigord noir) area. We can do the whole trip for just what the Princess cruise would have cost (not all the add on's like airfare, hotel, excursions, etc). We will rent a house with a pool, a car and spend our days at markets, touring chateau and seeing prehistoric caves. Maybe another canoe trip too.

:eek:

I just googled it. Wow. :love:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter