CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
John Heald just posted that precision:

"The Fantasy class lives on though with the Carnival Sensation, Carnival Elation and Carnival Paradise and Carnival Ecstasy ready to when we return to cruising to bring joyous Fun to many more thousands of people."

So... My guess is that the Fascination and Imagination will be sold at some point.

The Fantasy class is here to stay with the remaining 4. I'm hoping they will put more $ on it in the future so the experience feels more on par with the rest of the fleet.

I think I said it previously but I think they will keep them for those departure ports that need smaller ships, like Mobile and Jacksonville. People will want to sail from there and I think they made a deal with at least Mobile for the future, they will have to keep one or two, or four, to serve those places. The smaller ships are good for the shorter cruises too, but I agree with @belle032 that the Conquest class may fill that role.

I am looking forward to the Mardi Gras and her sister, and someday getting on Horizon/Vista/Panorama as well. I loved Magic and look forward to the Dream class again as well. I'm not sure we'd go on a smaller one with Carnival and will stick to those, it does give us 6 in service with 2 more following in the next few years.

So many ships, so many ports, It sucks that I have at least a year break from cruising, and more likely two. I'm more upset about that than not being able to get to Disney to be honest. But we did just do a trip last summer and wouldn't be going back until at least next year so maybe I'll change my tune by summer 2021.

This is GREAT! I hope Carnival is going to jump on the bandwagon!

https://cruiseradio.net/cruise-line...QP37hp2sl2Pq-P2Rh056EVDAWfB9FrXZ97LEVwSRcCRQQ

TLDR: Royal Caribbean will introduce a new safety drill procedure. You can simply watch the fire drill on your tv or your smartphone... Once you are done, you go meet a crew member posted at your station, you scan your card and ... Voilà!

No more gathering outside. No more traffic jam after the safety drill.

This is GREAT! I hope Carnival is going to jump on the bandwagon!

https://cruiseradio.net/cruise-line...QP37hp2sl2Pq-P2Rh056EVDAWfB9FrXZ97LEVwSRcCRQQ

TLDR: Royal Caribbean will introduce a new safety drill procedure. You can simply watch the fire drill on your tv or your smartphone... Once you are done, you go meet a crew member posted at your station, you scan your card and ... Voilà!

No more gathering outside. No more traffic jam after the safety drill.

That is awesome! And I can just imagine how much easier it will be for families sailing with kids, people with wheelchairs & scooters, those with special needs, etc. :thumbsup2

That is awesome! And I can just imagine how much easier it will be for families sailing with kids, people with wheelchairs & scooters, those with special needs, etc. :thumbsup2

My FIL has had knee problems forever and I have some problems too (I have good days and bad days) due to an accident. This will make him so happy.

So... Me and my friends decided to postpone our December trip. We are waiting to see if Royal will cancel, otherwise we will use "Lift and Shift".

None of us felt comfortable sailing under those circumstances.

I'm sad but it's for the best.

Fortunately, I have been able to cancel most of my bookings (airplane tickets, hotel) with very little money loss.

According to Cruise Radio, rumor has it that Carnival will be selling two more ships (expecting Fascination and Imagination to be sold since they put them in time out recently)...

This one is denied by Carnival Corp: And might even sell two LINES? (Cunard and Seabourne)

Woahhhh

According to Cruise Radio, rumor has it that Carnival will be selling two more ships (expecting Fascination and Imagination to be sold since they put them in time out recently)...

This one is denied by Carnival Corp: And might even sell two LINES? (Cunard and Seabourne)

Woahhhh
I had heard about the ships but not about possibly selling those lines. Wonder if it has to do with the age demographic of those lines?

Woahhhh

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-addresses-rumors-theyre-selling-two-cruise-lines/

I heard about the selling of 2 lines too, but it looks it's been completely denied by Carnival. I'm unfamiliar with both of those lines, but I believe Seabourne is more "upscale?"

I had heard about the ships but not about possibly selling those lines. Wonder if it has to do with the age demographic of those lines?

Hard to tell. It's been denied by CC but let's say they would sell them, I have a feeling it would have to do with the costs of operation.

*CRUISING IN TIMES OF COVID*

Just coming back from a « brunch cruise » in my hometown.

Context: I believe we are at the beginning of the 2nd wave here (At least that’s what a friend working at a local hospital here is saying). Masks are currently mandatory in all public places. However, today, the maximum capacity for a public place is going from 50 people to 250 people in my Province.

We were sailing on a 800 passengers capacity cruise ship.

I believe we were around 200 guests who boarded the small ship this morning (+ crew members, not sure how many but probably no more than 50). They separated us on two decks (they have two dining rooms).

We were asked questions when we boarded (Do I have any symptoms? Have I been in contact with anyone who tested positive for COVID? Have I traveled recently?), we had to disinfect our hands.

Masks were mandatory EVERYWHERE including outside on top decks. We had permission to remove them only we were seated.

All tables in the dining room had at least 6ft distance between them and/or plexiglass in between them.

Our servers were all wearing masks and safety glasses.

6 ft of distance was pretty easy to do in the dining room but not on top decks (outside). It felt much more cramped and crowded.

While I had a lovely time —trust me, we did!— ... And while we were following all the recommendation, it still felt like we were taking (unnecessary) risks.

I had a lovely time but I’m feeling kind of guilty and worried right now.

I don’t think I’ll cruise again unless there’s a vaccine (or an efficient cure).

20200801_104029_copy_1280x960.jpgFD470627-A5AA-4348-91AF-5A356CCD7AFD.jpeg65E03074-983D-47D4-8164-C688F4533EBC.jpeg

Last edited:
*CRUISING IN TIMES OF COVID*

Just coming back from a « brunch cruise » in my hometown.

Context: I believe we are at the beginning of the 2nd wave here (At least that’s what a friend working at a local hospital here is saying). Masks are currently mandatory in all public places. However, today, the maximum capacity for a public place is going from 50 people to 250 people in my Province.

We were sailing on a 800 passengers capacity cruise ship.

I believe we were around 200 guests who boarded the small ship this morning (+ crew members, not sure how many but probably no more than 50). They separated us on two decks (they have two dining rooms).

We were asked questions when we boarded (Do I have any symptoms? Have I been in contact with anyone who tested positive for COVID? Have I traveled recently?), we had to disinfect our hands.

Masks were mandatory EVERYWHERE including outside on top decks. We had permission to remove them only we were seated.

All tables in the dining room had at least 6ft distance between them and/or plexiglass in between them.

Our servers were all wearing masks and safety glasses.

6 ft of distance was pretty easy to do in the dining room but not on top decks (outside). It felt much more cramped and crowded.

While I had a lovely time —trust me, we did!— ... And while we were following all the recommendation, it still felt like we were taking (unnecessary) risks.

I had a lovely time but I’m feeling kind of guilty and worried right now.

I don’t think I’ll cruise again unless there’s a vaccine (or an efficient cure).

View attachment 515217View attachment 515215View attachment 515216
Looks beautiful! I want to be on a ship as soon as possible but I just don’t know what that’s going to look like. One of my loves of cruising is escaping life, (no cell phones, news, TV, etc). If I’m on a ship and we have to wear masks, physical distance and all that crap, I don’t think I’ll have the feeling of “escape” that I do as of my last cruise.
One of my coworkers spent the last week at Big Bear, CA, they rented a cabin on the lake that included a pontoon boat. It looked amazing and that may have to be a possibility for me
DEB6D5D9-B2D4-48C6-AA84-2ECA1C21A6C6.jpeg

Looks beautiful! I want to be on a ship as soon as possible but I just don’t know what that’s going to look like. One of my loves of cruising is escaping life, (no cell phones, news, TV, etc). If I’m on a ship and we have to wear masks, physical distance and all that crap, I don’t think I’ll have the feeling of “escape” that I do as of my last cruise.
One of my coworkers spent the last week at Big Bear, CA, they rented a cabin on the lake that included a pontoon boat. It looked amazing and that may have to be a possibility for me

This --while it was the closest thing, we still have all those measures to follow-- and the fact that we are still wondering if the cruise line was careful enough to ensure the safety of all guests. You definitely want that feeling of safety on top of all the perks (pool, great food, relaxation).

Big Bear looks phenomenal.

Ughhhhh CCL is down and out through October 31, 2020. Just saw on social media. Can't say I'm surprised at all. I'm more and more realizing that cruising will not be a reality in 2020.

However, it DOES say that if conditions change and "short, modified sailings" are possible, they may consider an earlier restart. That would be interesting. I'm not going to put any bets on it happening, but it could allow them to train crew, see what protocols work and don't work, and basically just put into practice what future (hopefully temporary) cruising might look like.

Last edited:
Ughhhhh CCL is down and out through October 31, 2020. Just saw on social media. Can't say I'm surprised at all. I'm more and more realizing that cruising will not be a reality in 2020.

However, it DOES say that if conditions change and "short, modified sailings" are possible, they may consider an earlier restart. That would be interesting. I'm not going to put any bets on it happening, but it could allow them to train crew, see what protocols work and don't work, and basically just put into practice what future (hopefully temporary) cruising might look like.
Yep, got may cancellation email and already put in for my full refund. Don't feel like playing cruise roulette with my money!

Also, all the Europe sailings are blocked and you can't pull up to book! Not sure if they are planning to cancel preemptively since airfare is becoming available. Would save people a lot of money and hassle to do it now. Would make me sad but I am becoming less confident we will be able to leave the US for a few years until a vaccine and the virus create herd immunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!