Carpet question and OKW check-in quirk

WebmasterCricket

<font color=blue>Administrator<br><font color=red>
Who pays for the upkeep of the store? Disney or our maintenance?

They just replaced the OKW store's carpet and I can't figure out why. It looked just fine to me.

- and -

Explain this if you can...

When we checked in the other morning (8:30 am 'ish), at first we were going to be sent on our way to call later on for the room to be ready. While picking up our stuff just about to leave the front desk, the phone rang and we got a room (not the one they originally called about but a different room still meeting our requests).
The people checking in on both sides of us got there before we did and needed three of the exact same room type (smoking studio) and didn't get it (they were throwing a fit btw). They were not told to call later, they were just being given non-smoking rooms and from what I could tell, it was not the highlight of their day :)

-so-

How did we get it and not them? Luck of who my CM talked to on the phone? They never even hinted to us that the room type was not available and yet these other folks got squat.

WebmasterCricket said:
...(snip).....When we checked in the other morning (8:30 am 'ish), at first we were going to be sent on our way to call later on for the room to be ready. While picking up our stuff just about to leave the front desk, the phone rang and we got a room (not the one they originally called about but a different room still meeting our requests).
The people checking in on both sides of us got there before we did and needed three of the exact same room type (smoking studio) and didn't get it (they were throwing a fit btw). They were not told to call later, they were just being given non-smoking rooms and from what I could tell, it was not the highlight of their day :)

-so-

How did we get it and not them? Luck of who my CM talked to on the phone? They never even hinted to us that the room type was not available and yet these other folks got squat.
Can't explain it. But if the reason was because the others wre throwing a fit and you weren't, I'd say HOOOORAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY! And good for those CMs. Bad behavior should not be rewarded!

Best wishes-

WebmasterCricket said:
Who pays for the upkeep of the store? Disney or our maintenance?

They just replaced the OKW store's carpet and I can't figure out why. It looked just fine to me.
Just guessing, but I would think the carpet and store upkeep is paid through store revenues.

I don't like wasteful spending, but in my opinion, if you wait to replace a carpet until it needs replacing, you have waited too long. :drinking:

MG

I don't know if it was a style change because I didn't realy pay attention to it after it was replaced. It was tile type carpet though which surprised me. I guess that makes it easier to place around displays and stuff. It took them longer than anticipated too because the memo said they would only be closed the 1 night and they were closed early 2 nights.

Maistre Gracey said:
Just guessing, but I would think the carpet and store upkeep is paid through store revenues.

How do they discern which parts of buildings are company paid and which parts are member dues paid (maintenence wise that is)???

WebmasterCricket said:
How do they discern which parts of buildings are company paid and which parts are member dues paid (maintenence wise that is)???
Good questions. I was sort of guessing about the store revenues, but I freely admit I have no idea how they break down the square footage.

Also interesting is how they handle this situation at other DVC resorts, where there is a third entity-- The hotel portion of the resort. :drinking:

MG

Since I've never seen any revenue from the shops included in the annual budgets, I have to believe that whichever Disney Department sells the stuff also leases the retail space and pays for its upkeep. DVC should not be involved at all -

If I understood correctly, they requested smoking studios and got non-smoking studios. If that's the case, what concerns me is how they were told to deal with that situation. I've heard so many stories of CMs saying "Oh, that's OK-just go ahead and here's an ashtray" or something similar. I hope they weren't told that. And I don't understand why they didn't have the option of waiting for a smoking studio. I'd love to know more about how this played out.

You were originally told to call back to get your room. I assume it was a smoking studio. Then you were given a smoking unit right away. I wonder why the other guests weren't offered your original room. I also wonder if a later arriving guest who wanted a non-smoking studio got your first assigment a smoking unit. Not great customer service.:confused3

Upon reflection, the only things I can think of that would cause this are:
1) They requested rooms "near" each other, and that was the part that wasn't possible, but it didn't sound like that was the issue from their ranting.
2) They had a number of nights that wasn't easily put together at that time for all three rooms, but that doesn't really make sense especially at that time of day.

Please DO NOT turn this into a smoking debate! This is a "room ready" question only.

I didn't mean to make this smoking vs non smoking. The request could have been anything from smoking to top floor. The point was if such a room was to be available why wasn't is offered to the other guests. This room ready policy doesn't sit well with me. Especially when I arrive later in the day.

1) Actually, there are several reasons regarding the rooms.
2) Any of which could have been the cause
. . . their checkout dates overlapped an incoming ressie
. . . your checkout date fit in before another incoming ressie
. . . they wanted a specific building or view
. . . someone checked out early, just when you needed a room
. . . they wanted to stay near each other
. . . their resseis could have been linked together (all-or-nothing)
. . .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter