Cass, Rob & Kira - Universal & 10-night Southern Caribbean Cruise on Disney Fantasy 2017

It was pretty tough but fun. I had to laugh because Jen got the name of a song from Bambi called April Shower and well, since I hadn't seen Bambi in like 35 years or more, I hadn't remembered it at all. Well, oddly enough, I heard it about a dozen times all over the ship for the rest of the cruise :rotfl2:

I used to have a record with Disney songs when I was a kid and I loved that song! I played it over and over and over. I never even knew it was from Bambi till I was an adult and had the VHS of Bambi for me kids.
Our first Disney cruise I heard it and I was so excited.

And now every time I hear that song, I think of Jen :goodvibes

Awww.

Actually, they were Jen's neighbours (lucky her! :eek:)

So lucky!

But, this was an entirely different matter. This was beyond rude, beyond kids being kids. This affected every single room down that long hallway and it went on all day and all night for the entire cruise.

It was beyond rude.
I was writing up some of my report this weekend in word and I described them and what they did almost the same exact way. Too funny.

It looks like one of these mice is being very rude :rotfl:

That is hilarious. I never noticed it....now I need to get back on the ship to take a picture.

It was entertaining because everyone in our group was watching her enjoyment of her watching Stitch :rotfl2: :stitch:

It's so nice to see someone appreciate Characters....Claire doesn't that is for sure!

We all piled in the van with the littler ones in the back

And Joe! hahahaha

because he had to go number 2.

That was so hilarious....I was like "what did he just say?"

I didn't really like the bathroom set up

It was horrible!

Go Kira!!!! I'm so glad she did the zipline, it looks amazing!!!! Short indeed but looks like you all had a really excellent time!

Day 11, Part 3

We were dropped off right at the port shopping area. Of course, Kira had to get her little trinket so we perused a few stores.

They actually had a lot of stores here and not just the typical touristy souvenir store either, they had tons of variety. I would have loved to check out more stores but after being in that hot van for the last 25 minutes, by the time we got back to the port area, I had hit a wall. :faint:

We looked at three stores and finally Kira found a trinket for her herself.

788.jpg

789.jpg

791.jpg

Back to the secured area.

790.jpg

A quick pic or two...

792.jpg

793.jpg

And then back on the ship. We did not continue our tradition of ice cream only because Cabanas was about 10 minutes away from closing for lunch and Rob didn't want to miss it.

Kira went to Flo's again and then she went to play Gaga Ball in the Club :cool1:

I think she might have done a couple activities in the club that afternoon, which was great for Rob and I.

I went up with Rob and got this for lunch.

It wasn't half bad actually.

794.jpg

Here's Rob's plate....you can tell it's his because it's full of veggies :crazy2: :rolleyes:
795.jpg

He also grabbed dessert and something else but I didn't take a pic.

While my lunch was decent, I only ate a small fraction of it and since I hadn't had breakfast, this should tell you a lot.

That wall I mentioned? Yeah, it was more like the entire brick house. :(

Except for the morning we disembarked, this was the worst I had felt the entire trip. I knew I would pay for the ziplining. Not really the ziplining, that part was just awesome but being in the heat and humidity for such a long stretch with practically no A/C at all, it had taken a toll :scared:

It's hard to describe how I feel when I get like that, it's probably how some people feel after running a marathon. It's like someone has just sucked every ounce of energy from within my body. Like I can barely take a single step. I feel nauseous, dizzy, tremendous instant headache. My brain doesn't work well, so don't even bother asking me a simple question because I will probably ask you to repeat it three times and then still not know the answer.

The only thing that helps is rest, quiet and to cool down as much as possible. So, off to bed I went.

I tried to nap but those little farts down the hall wouldn't stop running and playing. :mad:

After a couple hours I felt better. Not great but at least I was able to get out of that horrible funk.

By then, it was time to sail away from beautiful Basseterre. We watched from our verandah as the preparations were under way.

796.jpg

Hard to see but it had just started raining. :love:

Nothing makes me happier than a little rain :cloud9:

797.jpg

It was really neat because it looked like it was only raining in small areas and the rain sounded wonderful! :lovestruc

My favourite sail away, for sure :worship:

798.jpg

806.jpg

807.jpg

Yup, I was happy :goodvibes

808.jpg

After we pulled away, Rob and I decided to watch the sun set from deck 4. Kira was still in the Club and it was just us. :hug:

This was also one of my favourite parts of the cruise. We watched the sun set and a storm brewing all alone on a very quiet, peaceful deck 4 :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

I love this Mickey statue...

799.jpg

Look, the entire deck almost to ourselves! :goodvibes

800.jpg

801.jpg

804.jpg

There's the storm brewing...

805.jpg

And my babe :love:

802.jpg

803.jpg

809.jpg

I got some video footage and some live photos of the lightning and then we just relaxed until it was time to go to the July 4th deck party.

I'm back from camp and I'm all caught up!

I took this pic because it shows where my glorious Wonder is and also where we live, Calgary

She was going to get me!!!!

When I got back to my room, the kids were at it again playing frisbee in the hall but this time the adults were playing with them!!!

You have got to be kidding. Like you, I've had to correct DD in the past, but this is just absurd. Please tell me it got better.

After we saw Pluto, we got in the very long line to see Mickey & some other mouse. :rolleyes:

Nice that you got to see them together. That was a highlight for DD in Alaska.

Sad that the food didn't seem to get any better on the cruise. But you just know I liked Rob's plate pics better than your's. All those veggies would send me straight to heaven!! Meat, not so much. LOL

I'm so happy that Kira liked the zip lining. The end of the ride looked a little jerky. I'd probably throw something out that worked ok when I got there. :guilty:

Did the ship have enough chairs on deck 4? Last year, when we went, they were pretty scarce. :sad2: When we finally found 4 empty one's we had to drag them half the length of the ship just so we could sit together.

Keep the updates coming!!! :cutie::cutie:

Day 11, Part 4

There was a special deck party going on for Independence Day and they would be setting off a second set of fireworks for this night. This was very unique and I remember the cruise director making a huge deal out of it so we wanted to make sure we were a part of it. :thumbsup2

We missed the beginning of it but I think we saw most of the show. Very well done, very patriotic, almost made me shed a tear. I think most Americans don't realize how similar we are to them. Canadians are just unarmed Americans with healthcare, really. :p :rotfl2:

Here' some pics...

810.jpg

Some time in there everyone sang the national anthem. I was bugging Rob because he didn't know it all. I've known it since I was a kid because I went to hockey and baseball games growing up in Montreal. :teeth:

811.jpg

812.jpg

Kira was in full-on party mode. I love that she is totally into celebrating just about anything good. :cheer2:

She was a little bummed after the party and said "Why didn't they do this for Canada Day?"

:lmao:

"Ummm because there's only 82 of us on board." I replied.

She then asked "How many Americans are there?"

"Ummm, pretty much, the rest of the ship." ;) :laughing:

813.jpg

814.jpg

815.jpg

Then it was time for the big draw....fireworks!! Personally, I enjoyed these better than the Pirate Night ones. They did a great job making them patriotic and while Rob took about 3000 photos, I am only posting two of them :rolleyes:

816.jpg

817.jpg

After the fireworks, they had a little dance party with fast, catchy tunes and we stayed and partied for a bit. We're all into music and dancing so it was a fun time. :cool1:

819.jpg

820.jpg

Then it was time for dinner!

818.jpg

824.jpg

They had the regular menu..

821.jpg

822.jpg

823.jpg

And a small, special one just for the 4th.

826.jpg

825.jpg

Kira got the kids cheese pizza, which she grabbed so fast I barely got time to take a pic :rotfl:

827.jpg

828.jpg

829.jpg

830.jpg

Rob ordered off the July 4th menu.

831.jpg

I ordered off the regular menu...
832.jpg

I asked for the potatoes from the lamb dish and I am so glad I did! They were delicious! At first I saw that he had brought me two and I thought, oh no, that will go to waste!

They didn't :rolleyes1

I guess Ferdie decided I needed some extra greens with my potatoes :p

833.jpg

This was the best meal I had the entire cruise. The meat was a really good, tender cut and it was cooked perfectly and while the potatoes that came with it were okay, my extra ones were super yummy though!!!

834.jpg

835.jpg

836.jpg

Back to the room since the pool was closed and we found this...

837.jpg

838.jpg

839.jpg

I think we all got ready for bed and called it a night. It had been a long, fun day and we were all exhausted. :faint:

Last edited:
I thought the fireworks were better too. It was a really nice party. I worried I would be missing home since my family has a party every year (and they did on the 3rd this year), but I was totally fine and I am so glad they did the fireworks!

Just wondering, was that French Onion Soup Salty? If it was, it was probably your fault.
Whahahahahahaha. Just couldn't help myself. I crack myself up, sometimes. :duck::duck::duck:

808.jpg

After we pulled away, Rob and I decided to watch the sun set from deck 4. Kira was still in the Club and it was just us. :hug:

Ha, I just realized, Kira has "your" smile. You are both Alice's Cheshire cat.

Love it. Kate

Cass....fellow Canadian here....I was happy today when I saw the title of your trip report show up on the DCL forum today because I remembered all your fun trip reports from the past, especially Kira's first trip to WDW. Kira has grown into a beautiful young lady.

As someone who suffers from rheumatoid arthritis I completely understand your pain and need for rest...I am glad you have been able to enjoy your cruise at your own pace. Your pictures are amazing and Curacao looks just as beautiful as when we visited on the Disney Magic in 2005. I'm sorry that the food on your cruise has not been good but I have found over the years (I've been on 24 DCL cruises since 2004) that the food quality is going downhill. I was just on the 9 night Alaska cruise in July and the only good meal I had was when we dined in Palo on formal night.

I was pleased to see that DCL is celebrating Canada Day. I was on the Magic for Canada Day in 2015 and had made a top of Canadian flags that I wore around the ship and in port in Norway. DCL also tried to serve poutine but used shredded cheese instead of cheese curds and a version of gravy that is not like ours so it was not good. I also went to trivia and agree the questions were really hard...I didn't score very high and my American friends asked if I was really a Canadian!!!!

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us and can't wait to read the rest of your trip report...BTW...since you enjoyed your zip lining excursion, if you do one of the Alaska cruises that goes to Icy Strait Point, they have a zip line there that everyone was raving about (I went whale watching as I am not adventurous).

Day 12, Part 1

Today was our Tortola day. We've never been to Tortola but I've seen tons of pics and video and it always looked so beautiful so I was excited to see it with my own eyes. :cool2:

We had just docked by the time we made it out to our verandah and once again, we lucked out with views. Instead of seeing a whole bunch of other people looking at us, we saw this...

840.jpg

841.jpg

842.jpg

We got dressed and headed up to Cabanas for breakfast.

This would be the only port this entire cruise where we would see another big cruise ship. So weird because we normally see at least 3 or 4 on a 7-day cruise.

Today the NCL Escape was docked next to us.

843.jpg

844.jpg

847.jpg

Kira added a donut to her usual, this morning :p

848.jpg

Rob's normal three plates....:rolleyes1

845.jpg

And I got some oatmeal and fruit....

:earboy2:

No I di'n't!!!

:lmao:

846.jpg

Rob continued to eat his three plates and I headed back to the room to slather up.

On the way, I took a few pics...

Crew were all over deck 4 practicing their drills.

849.jpg

850.jpg

The Atrium was deserted!

851.jpg

One of the best reasons to stay on a ship during a port day, it's like having the ship to yourself sometimes :cloud9:

Unless the port is Nassau :rolleyes:

852.jpg

Snapped this while I was doing sunscreen, love the colour of the water!

853.jpg

We had no plans here really. I knew I wouldn't be up to it after yesterday's big adventure.

Actually, I did plan to walk over to the town and check out the straw market type of stores over there and grab something for Kira.

I had also done some research on the tours they offer here at the port for $25/each just in case I was up to it. It was only a 2-hour tour, which I thought was a nice way to see a little bit of the island that wasn't going all out and it included a 15 minute stop at Cane Garden Bay Beach, just enough to cool down in the water.

Either way, there was a new shopping area right at the pier that we could check out if all else failed.

And failed, it did! :rolleyes:

The second we stepped out onto the pier, I knew none of us would last long. :scared:

854.jpg

Before we reached the end of our ship, Kira was complaining about the heat! :rotfl2:

Honestly, I was thinking exactly what she was saying but I have a filter so I kept it to myself :laughing:

855.jpg

By the time we reached the shops, she said she was ready to go back to the ship :lmao:

Well, guess we aren't doing a tour today :rolleyes1

And it would be a safe bet that we wouldn't make it into town too :rolleyes2

I swear, it was hotter than the last two ports put together and there was no breeze, I mean, like nothing!!!

:scared1:

This is definitely a port where you needed to do some type of water based activity or else you might die of heat. :sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny:

I guess for those who enjoy the heat, this would be a good place but that's not us. Even Rob was saying how hot it was. He could probably easily handle it for a few hours because he loves the heat but I think the heat was messing with his brain that morning too. :rolleyes:

856.jpg

We walked through the mall, looking for a place for Kira to grab her little trinket. We didn't see any place that would have anything like that. All of these stores were either high-end stuff or a store where you wouldn't find souvenirs.

I was hugely disappointed in the stores here, really. It probably didn't help that I was getting very hot and maybe a little bit crabby :rolleyes:

After wandering around for awhile, we didn't find anything. I had, for a very quick second, thought about walking to the town area but then Kira said "Ugh, can we just go back on the ship for some ice cream and some pool time?" and I knew going for a walk over there was not the best choice for any of us.

Rob had just drank two cups of coffee and needed a washroom so I pointed over to where they were and told him that we would be out here waiting for him in the shade.

Kira and I had walked around the building to see if there were any other stores, there weren't, and then we came right back.

Well, it just so happens that this was the time where Rob came out. :sad2:

Seriously, like he normally takes 6 years just to pee so I totally didn't think we would miss him and I knew he wouldn't just wander off randomly searching for us, especially since I told him we would meet him right here.

But remember how I said the heat was affecting his brain? :rolleyes1

He was taking a long time in the bathroom :-)rolleyes:) so Kira plopped down and started writing in her Harry Potter journal.

I kept an eye out looking for him and even signed on to the free wi-fi to text him to ask if he was okay.

The wi-fi here is very limited, you had to sign up for it and once you connected, you only had one hour to use it. He obviously hadn't signed on so he wasn't answering my texts.

Finally, I spotted him coming out of a store way down the other way, towards the ship!

What the heck????

:headache:

857.jpg

He said that when he came out, we weren't there and he went searching for us.

WHAT???!!! :confused::confused::confused:

Seriously, the heat was eating at his brain because he knows better than to do this. Trust me, we've been together for over 21 years and I have trained him not to do this. :joker:

Okay, well, that doesn't sound very good HAHAH! That makes him sound like a dog but, ladies, you know what I mean! :D

Remember all that silly crap your man used to do in the very beginning of your relationship? That stuff you worked really hard to change?

Well, this was something that we had hashed out a million years ago because my absolute biggest pet peeve is waiting for people!!! :mad:

He knows if I tell him that I will meet him somewhere, I will meet him there! Don't go looking for me, that just makes it so much worse!!!

I would never just wander off and go into random stores instead of waiting for him where I said I would be!

I know that some women would, I get it, but I am NOT one of those women o_O

So honestly, when he told me this, I was kind of mad. Kira and I had been waiting there, dying of freaking heat because this is where I said we would be.

Even in the shade, the heat was getting to me. Kira was sort of okay sitting in the shade but I was..not!

I had started to get that dizzy, sick feeling and I was done! :worried:

We headed back to the ship and I noticed that there were some stores on the back right hand side that we didn't see so we walked over there because I didn't want my crabbiness to prevent Kira from getting her little souvenir.

858.jpg

Rob spotted this, which I thought was weird since it is a Canadian Bank. :confused:

943.jpg

We found a tiny little store that had just a small handful of the type of souvenirs we were looking for. Kira picked something out and then we headed back up the middle because I had remembered that we were almost out of Diet-Coke and bottled water and I remembered seeing a store that stocked both of those.

There was no way I was drinking that swill they had on the ship :crazy2:

The stores here are tiny and with two ships in port, they were very busy and didn't have enough staff to deal with all of the passengers.

We stopped for a few quick pics and then back to the ship!

859.jpg

860.jpg

861.jpg

862.jpg

863.jpg

Oh yay, air conditioning!! It could not come soon enough :faint:

It felt like we had gone on a 4-hour adventure when in reality, it was only about 90 minutes :laughing:

Two diet cokes and two waters were $10 USD :eek:

It was worth it though because these would get us right to the end of our Castaway Cay day :thumbsup2

864.jpg

I cooled down in the room while Rob took Kira to the pool. It was weird and neat seeing a ship next to us finally.

871.jpg

872.jpg

She enjoyed the Aquaduck and since we were docked, she could go alone. :goodvibes

She watched the movie and then got some lunch and dessert.

I swear, she would be happy if we never left that pool deck :scratchin :laughing:

866.jpg

874.jpg

I had taken a cold shower to cool down fast and then when I was all ready, I found Rob and we went to Cabanas so that he could have his lunch.

Kira stayed at the pool, eating some cookies and hanging out in the shade watching the movie until we got back.

867.jpg

The buffet was nice and quiet, for a change but I didn't see anything that appealed to me so I just hung out with my hubby now that I wasn't mad at him anymore :rotfl2:

868.jpg

It's three billion degrees out and he is still drinking coffee! What a weirdo :rolleyes2 :lmao:

869.jpg

870.jpg

The week before, we also thought it was weird and nice because we were the only ship in port, just about the whole time. Not too many ships cruise during hurricane season! But, we were lucky and had nice, HOT, weather the whole time.

Last edited:
It's three billion degrees out and he is still drinking coffee! What a weirdo :rolleyes2 :lmao:
Well I guess you would think my sister and I are weird as well because we drank hot tea when we were in Jamaica in May. The wait staff thought we were weird too but I have read that hot beverages can help you cool down. :coffee: :cold:

Really enjoying your latest trip report - looking forward to more. Have read all your other reports and love your honesty throughout. My daughter and I are heading to your neck of the woods in May next year, after our 3rd Disney Cruise on the Wonder from San Diego to Vancouver. After a week in Vancouver we are heading over to visit my cousins in Edmonton - really looking forward to it.

Tortola was the one port we missed on our May sailing. They switched it out for San Juan because this was right after dry dock and the Fantasy was having some "issues." After reading your description, I am glad we missed it. I hate that kind of heat too, and knowing how hot and sticky with no wind, it was in SJ, I imagine Tortola was like that too and we had booked a jeep tour. I got quite the chuckle out of "it's three billion degrees out and he is still drinking coffee!" My dh is the same way. Doesn't matter how hot, he wants his coffee...but then he adds ice cubes to it, to cool it down! :confused3

Cass- I'm a little scared to try the other ships after reading your food reviews. We sailed on the Wonder to Alaska this summer and I tried to keep my expectations low going in since I am such a foodie. The food was much better than expected and I never left a meal hungry. Makes me want to sail the Wonder again.

Love the report! Thanks for sharing!

I know they are still "building" up that port, but it really has too many upscale type places. We looked around and stopped at Del Sol to pick up Jeanne something, but other than that I don't think we bought a single thing there this time around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter