Cataracts in only 1 eye

For glasses: A clear lens for the repaired eye and the prescribed lens for the other.

To the two posters above -- what was the approximate cost of your surgeries?

AquamarineSteph, did you also have cataract surgery by laser?

I had laser surgery, yes. The insurance also did not cover the lenses which were Bausch & Lomb Crystalens. I think my OOP costs were around $9000. But when it comes to being able to see vs. not being able to see, I'd do it again in a heartbeat despite the insane cost.

I don't know about the cataracts, but I have 20/20 vision in one eye and am nearly blind in the other, and I wear glasses. I have to get special lenses so the lens in my bad eye isn't insane thick, but that's not an issue when I order them.

Me too, and I have just clear glass in the one lens.

Funny story, while at one appointment the technician new to me as a client, was trying to get a prescription from the glass side, and I wasn't getting her frustration AT FIRST; because, as I'd seen countless eye care professionals spanning 43 years, and had never experienced this before; I thought the paper work was the reason for her being flustered! Once I realized what she was doing, we had a good laugh. :)

My left eye was $2200 (I also have a Toric lens to correct my astigmatism) and the right eye was $1745.

Your surgery was a bargain compared to mine! How do you like the new lenses?

I am very happy with the result. I have worn glasses all of my adult life, so this is really the first time not wearing them. I tried contacts more than 30 years ago and couldn't get used to them. I am still trying to get comfortable seeing myself without my glasses on. It is weird. Buying sunglasses off the rack is a bonus! I am very happy. I just have to have readers everywhere because I really can't read anything. The exact opposite of what I used to be. I was near-sighted. Now, I am far-sighted.

I thought $4000 was a lot until I read your post. Wow, your surgery was very expensive!

I was SO delighted when I went to the store and bought a pair of ordinary, off the rack sunglasses. It was the first time in my life I've been able to do that!

And, yes, my surgery was expensive, but it totally beats not being able to see, and I was quickly headed there prior to the surgery.

Just did this with my mom- she had a cataract in one eye and since her other eye is a lazy eye the "good eye" was getting done and we didn't want to take any chances so we did the Laser and had to pay 500 for the laser plus the 20.00 co-pay. A few months later she needed her lazy eye done and that one we did not do laser and it was just 20.00.

Just did this with my mom- she had a cataract in one eye and since her other eye is a lazy eye the "good eye" was getting done and we didn't want to take any chances so we did the Laser and had to pay 500 for the laser plus the 20.00 co-pay. A few months later she needed her lazy eye done and that one we did not do laser and it was just 20.00.

You have great insurance then! $9000 is what I paid, with what insurance DID cover and what they didn't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts