Celebrating 20 years at WDW - Bonus features, A few posts from May, Updated 9/11

March 26

So our first day of wine tasting was on this day. We arrived a little bit early so we decided to try some more of the kiosks. The first one we tried was I heart artichokes.

We got the Fried Artichokes Carbonara

And the Grilled and Chilled Artichoke Hearts.

I liked both of these well enough, but I'll give you a spoiler alert, we didn't come back to this booth. We also got the artichoke cake pop.

I have to say this was disgusting.

I did take a picture of our nice view of the winery.

Our next stop was The Nuts About Cheese kiosk. My camera was definitely off that day as my pictures were coming out blurry

We got one of each item. This was a Baked Ham and Swiss Cheese Croque Monsieur Roll. It was pretty good, but it was packed full of ham and a little salty.

This was a Brie Toast with Fig & Mint, Roasted California Almond Crumble.

This one was Chevre Fromage Blanc Tartine infused with Rosemary and Honey.

The last two were really good! We also washed them down with a flight of wine.

We decided to try again for the Lemon Macaron.

This time we were successful. And there was a surprise of some jam in there!

I also couldn't resist another serving of the bacon mac n cheese.

We lined up for our first demo and it didn't take long for them to let us in to our seats.

They brought the wine to the table with a really cool apparatus.

This gentleman talked to us about the History of the Mondavi Family and the Winery.

He did talk a lot before we got to taste any wine. In fact I spied these people holding up signs so the speakers knew how much they had left.

By the time that he finished speaking, I was really happy that I had attended and even decided that I would like to visit the winery on an upcoming trip that is in the planning stages. To understand let me give you a little background about my life and feelings towards Mondavi Winery.

I moved to California in 1970 and my parents joined a wine group as soon as we moved here. Because we didn’t have any family in California, the folks in the Wine Group became our family. We spent Easter Sundays having Brunch and drinking wine. My first trip to Hawaii was with the group, and they drank a lot of wine. We went to a concert to hear Arthur Fiedler conduct while Ella Fitzgerald sang, they made crepes suzette in a field picnic situation, and drank a lot of wine. You get the idea. So I heard a lot of the discussions that these people had, and all I remember was hearing “Mondavi this, Mondavi that.” And I was like, “these people must be huge and dominate everything in the wine world.” I’ve always been a fan of the underdog, so when I reached an age and level of success where I could afford to travel to wine country and visit wineries, they weren’t even on my radar. I wanted to visit the small guys that weren’t dominating the market.

So back to the seminar and the guy telling us about Mondavi and their history. Robert Mondavi’s parents emigrated from Italy to the state of Minnesota, essentially they lived in the Little Italy area and it was a vibrant ethnic community. One very important part of life in the community was wine. When prohibition came along his family moved to Lodi, California and Mondavi Sr. established a successful fruit packing business. A provision of the Prohibition laws allowed families to make up to 200 gallons of fruit juice per year. He packaged up containers to ship back home to the community. They contained grapes and other fermentation supplies in a wooden crate labeled as such: Caution: mixing contents of this container and allowing them to remain in a sealed container, which allows CO2 to escape, could result in a liquid prohibited by the US Government. Or something to that effect. Basically he was selling a wine making kit with the directions printed on the outside. All you needed to do was do what it said not to do and you got wine!

After prohibition ended, Robert Mondavi graduated from Stanford University in 1937 with a degree in economics and business administration.

In the meantime Robert’s father had purchased the Charles Krug Winery in St. Helena and the family went into the business of creating jug wine, like all the other wineries in California. In 1943, Mondavi joined his father and brother Peter.

By the 1960s Robert saw incredible potential for wineries in the Napa Valley that they could produce wines that could rival that of the wine regions in France. In 1965, Robert Mondavi left the family winery after a feud with his younger brother Peter over the business direction of the Krug Winery. In 1966, he founded the Robert Mondavi Winery with his sons Michael and Tim Mondavi in the Napa Valley with the goal of producing wines that would compete with the finest wines from Europe. Michael Mondavi, the eldest, was in charge of the sales and marketing for Robert, while Tim was the winemaker. Robert Mondavi was the first major winery built in Napa Valley in the post-Prohibition era.

In 1968, Mondavi made a dry oak–aged Sauvignon blanc, an unpopular variety in California at the time, and labeled it "Fumé Blanc". The wine was a success and, in time, Fumé Blanc became accepted as a synonym for Sauvignon blanc.

Warren Winiarski became another of the the first Winemakers at Robert Mondavi Winery, another notable winemaker Mike Grgich was also employed at the Mondavi winery (among other wineries in the Valley). Why do we care? you ask? Well back in May of 1976, the 24th to be exact. An English wine merchant with a shop in Paris was looking to drum up business, so he staged a blind tasting. He chose the finest French wines, and invited a few of the California kids to come to the party.

Among those on the guest list were the wines of Warren Winiarski, founder of Stag’s Leap Winery and Mike Grgich winemaker at Chateau Montelena. It was such a “nonevent” that only one reporter showed up to the event. For the judges, nine of the most respected names in French gastronomy were selected for the job. They included sommeliers from the best French restaurants in Paris, the head of a highly regarded French vineyard, and the editor of the influential French Wine Review.

The panel did not know the order in which the wines would be served but the sole journalist did have the list. He heard one of the judges who sampled a white, smelled it, then he tasted it and he held it up again, and said, "Ah, back to France!”

Except it was a Napa Valley Chardonnay. At that point, the journalist thought, “I may have a story here!”

When the scores were tallied, the top honors went not to France's best vintners but to a California white and red — the 1973 chardonnay from Chateau Montelena and the 1973 cabernet sauvignon from Stag's Leap Wine Cellars. (A bottle of each now resides at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History.)

The rest went down in history, French wines were overthrown and wineries all over the world were given the go ahead that they could make great wines. They didn’t have to come from France, but the California wineries were given such a boost that I realized that Robert Mondavi’s dream had been fulfilled and he really was the underdog who prevailed. His dream of putting California on the map came true. So on our next trip to Napa, I most definitely have to pay homage to this winemaker who brought California into the world stage.

As far as the wines we tasted, they were good, but I was more in awe of the story to really care about what we tasted. The bottles were quite expensive and very tasty, but not something that I would buy to try at home, I have enough already from my current clubs that I don’t need to buy extra.

After the tasting we were still hungry, so it was time to try some more booths.

It seems that I didn’t get a picture of the booth. I didn’t really want to try the Jackfruit Carnitas Bahn Mi Nachos, but Fran insisted. Don’t let the word Carnitas fool you, there is no meat in this dish and I didn’t like it. Fran ate a few bites and agreed with me, so we tossed it.

Actually I got ahead of myself, we ordered one of the Jalapeno Margaritas and as neither of us like Jalapenos, the first thing we did was remove all the offending peppers. This drink had a little bit of a kick, most likely from the Jalapenos being in there for a minute or so. The margarita was good though.

We also got an order of the Sweet Corn Nuggets with Beef Chili, Spring Onions and Sour Cream. This one was pretty good, I had it again during the festival, but it wasn’t my favorite.

We also got the Roasted Sweet Corn Custard Tart, this was really good. Corn works nicely for a dessert, better than sourdough.

It was time for our next demo, this was with Kate MacMurray of MacMurray Estates Winery. If you’re old enough or watch Nick at Night, you may be familiar with her father Fred MacMurray. He purchased the land in 1941 and farmed crops and raised prize-winning cattle. In 1996, five years after Fred MacMurray’s death, MacMurray Ranch was transformed into a world class vineyard.

Kate McMurray’s approach to the demo was much different, she would ask us to close our eyes, and she would describe a vision to us which was “her” experience in the mornings riding out on her horse through the vineyards.

Once we had the picture in our mind, she invited us to taste the first wine.

She talked a lot about soil, climate and how those factors affected the wines. She did a little more imagery before we tasted the last wine.

This was our last demo of the day, so we called it a night and headed back home.

Watch Bottle Shock on Netflix...it tells the story of that fateful wine tasting. Quite the event!

I love MacMurray wines...that would have been a fun tasting!

Jill in CO

Even though this is food and wine in California - you are getting me all hyped up for WDW. Most of your food looked SO yummy - the cakepop not so much. We don't have mac and cheese here, so that bacon variety would have been on my list too.

When we toured CA 11 years ago we stayed in Napa for a few days and guess what, Mondavi was one of the Wineries we visited. As was the one where they filmed "Falcon Crest" and my favourite one was the Silverade Winery. Beautiful setting and the connection to someone I admire so much .......... ;)
That was the year when you no longer were allowed to carry liquids in your carry on. Well, they came up with the idea after we had bought quite a lot of Silverado. Nearly filled a suitcase after being wrapped in several layers of bubble wrap.

Okay enough of the old memories of mine - thanks for sharing your experiences.

The artichoke booth sounds yummy - except the cake pop. Somehow, that just doesn't sound appetizing, and your reaction just confirms that for me!

Thanks for the Mondavi story! I know little bits and pieces of California wine stuff, from a couple trips to Napa, so it is fun to hear a little bit more.

I've watched Robert Irvine on a couple different shows, and have mixed feelings about him. He really is pretty harsh on people sometimes, and when he does those quick restaurant makeovers, you never know how long any of it will last. I can believe that it's mostly a tv persona that he turns on and off - but I can also see people getting pretty upset. We first watched him on Dinner: Impossible, where he did all those crazy challenges, and that was a lot more fun to watch.

Glad you managed to snag a lemon macaroon, it looks so yummy! popcorn::

Interesting story about Mondavi. I had no idea about any of that.

I love artichokes so would have had to try the pop, not sure if I'd like it though.

I am not a fan of artichokes, but I think I would have liked this.

another notable winemaker Mike Grgich was also employed at the Mondavi winery

I had not realised this.

When the scores were tallied, the top honors went not to France's best vintners but to a California white and red — the 1973 chardonnay from Chateau Montelena and the 1973 cabernet sauvignon from Stag's Leap Wine Cellars. (A bottle of each now resides at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History.)

I was fascinated by that story when we visited the Grgich Hills winery in 2013.

Corinna

Perhaps I misinterpreted what I was seeing. I was very tired.

Hmmm... Okay, I'll reserve judgement.

Let me know how it works for you.

If and when.... I will.

You probably would not be surprised by the schedules that I make to ensure my entire meal is done at the same time. It's usually only for the more complicated ones that I do that. For most nightly meals I can do it in my head.

Interesting.
I only do that for the bigger ones, like Christmas.

I've mostly put it on vegetables just before serving. Tomato salads, green beans...

Got it.

The first one we tried was I heart artichokes.

I am wracking my brain....
But I'm almost positive that I've never had artichoke. It doesn't appeal to me. I'd try it... but...

But I would try that. It looks good!

And the Grilled and Chilled Artichoke Hearts.

But, no offense.... that doesn't.
I'd try it if you handed it to me, but I'd probably never order it.

We also got the artichoke cake pop.

That just looks horrid, and...

... apparently it tasted like it looked.

I did take a picture of our nice view of the winery.

Pretty.

My camera was definitely off that day as my pictures were coming out blurry

Hm. Odd. You didn't accidentally turn off the autofocus?

We got one of each item. This was a Baked Ham and Swiss Cheese Croque Monsieur Roll. It was pretty good, but it was packed full of ham and a little salty.

Too bad. It sure looked good.

This was a Brie Toast with Fig & Mint, Roasted California Almond Crumble.

This one was Chevre Fromage Blanc Tartine infused with Rosemary and Honey.

Those look really good!

We decided to try again for the Lemon Macaron.

I should hope so!

This time we were successful. And there was a surprise of some jam in there!

Really!

How was it?

Understandable

They brought the wine to the table with a really cool apparatus.

Smart. It's not going to slide off a tray.

In fact I spied these people holding up signs so the speakers knew how much they had left.

Hmmm.... I wonder. Would he have spoken for too long, or not long enough.

Because we didn’t have any family in California, the folks in the Wine Group became our family. We spent Easter Sundays having Brunch and drinking wine. My first trip to Hawaii was with the group, and they drank a lot of wine.

A sense of belonging.

We went to a concert to hear Arthur Fiedler conduct while Ella Fitzgerald sang,

:worship:

Caution: mixing contents of this container and allowing them to remain in a sealed container, which allows CO2 to escape, could result in a liquid prohibited by the US Government.

:lmao:

In 1966, he founded the Robert Mondavi Winery with his sons Michael and Tim Mondavi in the Napa Valley with the goal of producing wines that would compete with the finest wines from Europe.

Lofty goal.
Which apparently he reached!

He heard one of the judges who sampled a white, smelled it, then he tasted it and he held it up again, and said, "Ah, back to France!”

Except it was a Napa Valley Chardonnay. At that point, the journalist thought, “I may have a story here!”

::yes::

When the scores were tallied, the top honors went not to France's best vintners but to a California white and red — the 1973 chardonnay from Chateau Montelena and the 1973 cabernet sauvignon from Stag's Leap Wine Cellars.

Score!

(A bottle of each now resides at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History.)

Really! Cool!

I realized that Robert Mondavi’s dream had been fulfilled and he really was the underdog who prevailed.

That was a great story Alison. Thanks for sharing that with us.

So on our next trip to Napa, I most definitely have to pay homage to this winemaker who brought California into the world stage.

I might have to do the same some day.
You've intrigued me.

Don’t let the word Carnitas fool you, there is no meat in this dish and I didn’t like it. Fran ate a few bites and agreed with me, so we tossed it.

It did fool me.

Too bad it sucked despite the false advertising.

Actually I got ahead of myself, we ordered one of the Jalapeno Margaritas and as neither of us like Jalapenos, the first thing we did was remove all the offending peppers. This drink had a little bit of a kick, most likely from the Jalapenos being in there for a minute or so. The margarita was good though.

And yet you ordered it anyway?

We also got the Roasted Sweet Corn Custard Tart, this was really good. Corn works nicely for a dessert, better than sourdough.

Corn and dessert are not two words I would have put together.
Interesting.

If you’re old enough or watch Nick at Night, you may be familiar with her father Fred MacMurray.

Kate McMurray’s approach to the demo was much different, she would ask us to close our eyes, and she would describe a vision to us which was “her” experience in the mornings riding out on her horse through the vineyards.

I kinda like that, actually.

I liked both of these well enough, but I'll give you a spoiler alert, we didn't come back to this booth.
Well, I can't say that I'm surprised.

Because it is an artichoke!

Ah... that makes up for that other booth.

His dream of putting California on the map came true. So on our next trip to Napa, I most definitely have to pay homage to this winemaker who brought California into the world stage.
Cool history lesson! I hope you get there to visit that winery soon!

Don’t let the word Carnitas fool you, there is no meat in this dish and I didn’t like it. Fran ate a few bites and agreed with me, so we tossed it.
That's just cruel to serve meat free carnitas. It should be false advertising. How can they even call it carnitas if there is no meat????

Soooo, I made a massive and possibly unforgivable error! Somehow I unsubscribed to this thread and didn't realize it for well... months!

:scared1::sad2:

I just... don't even know how...

Regardless, I'm re-subbed in and will now go back and do some catching up. For the sake of just getting caught back up, I'll keep my comments brief this time around and will do better next time.

ETA: Yes, I did go back and read all the demo and F&W updates from where I'd left off. Loads and loads of good food for sure.

Yes, we did see 2 cats that night.

Last edited:
Watch Bottle Shock on Netflix...it tells the story of that fateful wine tasting. Quite the event!

I love MacMurray wines...that would have been a fun tasting!

Jill in CO

I'll put that on the list of things to watch when Fran is asleep and can't watch the shows we watch together. We did a winemaker dinner with Kate MacMurray within the first couple years of their opening. I had no idea at the time as I was just in awe of the dinner and where we had it. I even have a signed bottle from that dinner.

Even though this is food and wine in California - you are getting me all hyped up for WDW. Most of your food looked SO yummy - the cakepop not so much. We don't have mac and cheese here, so that bacon variety would have been on my list too.

I believe that there is a bacon mac and cheese at the EPCOT festival as well, at least there was last year. The thing about the EPCOT festival is that there are almost three times as many booths. We were lucky to hit them all over the month since we didn't get out there for full days at a time.

When we toured CA 11 years ago we stayed in Napa for a few days and guess what, Mondavi was one of the Wineries we visited. As was the one where they filmed "Falcon Crest" and my favourite one was the Silverade Winery. Beautiful setting and the connection to someone I admire so much .......... ;)
That was the year when you no longer were allowed to carry liquids in your carry on. Well, they came up with the idea after we had bought quite a lot of Silverado. Nearly filled a suitcase after being wrapped in several layers of bubble wrap.

Okay enough of the old memories of mine - thanks for sharing your experiences.

Huh. Not familiar with the show Falcon Crest, but I have been to Silverado Winery before. I can't believe the nightmare you must have had to get all that wine back home!

The artichoke booth sounds yummy - except the cake pop. Somehow, that just doesn't sound appetizing, and your reaction just confirms that for me!

We really like artichokes, but the preparation was not my favorite. Fran likes them to dip the leaves in a Mayo/lemon juice sauce. I take part of her sauce and add Dijon mustard for my dipping sauce. We eat the meat on the leaves first and then the hearts. I'm not so thrilled about the hearts only. I prefer eating the whole thing (meaning eat the meat off the leaves) and then the heart with the mayo, mustard, lemon juice sauce.

Thanks for the Mondavi story! I know little bits and pieces of California wine stuff, from a couple trips to Napa, so it is fun to hear a little bit more.

I knew about the Judgement of Paris, but I just assumed that California had always wanted to produce great wine. I didn't know that they produced jug wine for the most part. I should have known that since Paul Masson's headquarters was near my parent's house where I grew up. Also I remember Charles Krug being HUGE early on in CA wine. Mind you I was only 5-10 years old when this all happened so my memory is not so good!

I've watched Robert Irvine on a couple different shows, and have mixed feelings about him. He really is pretty harsh on people sometimes, and when he does those quick restaurant makeovers, you never know how long any of it will last. I can believe that it's mostly a tv persona that he turns on and off - but I can also see people getting pretty upset. We first watched him on Dinner: Impossible, where he did all those crazy challenges, and that was a lot more fun to watch.

I think it all comes from a position of love and helping. He can be pretty abrasive, but I think he means well in the end.
Glad you managed to snag a lemon macaroon, it looks so yummy! popcorn::

Yes, and I'm so glad that you introduced me to them. I do have to tell that they are Macarons (pronounced Mah-ca-roh), they're French. You are typing Macaroon (pronouced Mah-ca-rune), they are two totally different things. I have no idea where the latter comes from but they are coated in coconut flakes and are nasty! The French ones are absolutely exquisite....

Interesting story about Mondavi. I had no idea about any of that.

I didn't really know the whole story until the demo. I found it quite interesting.

I love artichokes so would have had to try the pop, not sure if I'd like it though.

I took a bite, but that was it. The texture of the interior was just gross.

I am not a fan of artichokes, but I think I would have liked this.

The Carbonara was my favorite of the artichoke dishes.

I had not realised this.

The speaker mentioned a couple names which I recognized so I did some research, nothing said that Mike Grgich was a winemaker at Mondavi, but it did say that he worked there along with several other Napa Wineries.

I was fascinated by that story when we visited the Grgich Hills winery in 2013.

I remember that we went to a party at the winery in around 1998 and ended up getting completely loaded. They served a great spread of food, but even more wine. We ended up back in the hotel room in a similar state as from the French lunches at Epcot.

Interesting.
I only do that for the bigger ones, like Christmas.

I do it usually for Christmas and Thanksgiving, but I did it the other day because I didn't want to have to think and also back in April when I cooked a Prime Rib for my friend Leonard.

I am wracking my brain....
But I'm almost positive that I've never had artichoke. It doesn't appeal to me. I'd try it... but...

I think they're really a California thing. They grow south of the Bay Area and I think you need to develop a taste for them. I was introduced about 30 or so years ago. You steam the whole artichoke and then remove the inedible part (the choke which is in the middle. Some remove the choke before cooking, but I find it easier once it's tenderized from cooking), then we always serve it with a dipping sauce, could be italian dressing, butter or Fran likes Mayo with lemon juice. I take some of her sauce and add dijon mustard for my dipping sauce. You don't eat the leaves, but they have meat in the bottom so you sort of scrape it off with your teeth and then discard the rest of the leaf. Once you eat most of the outer leaves, you're left with the heart. It's nice and tender and tasty with the dipping sauce. I'd make you one when you visit, if you're interested in trying it.

But I would try that. It looks good!

As I mentioned, I like them prepared a little bit differently.

But, no offense.... that doesn't.
I'd try it if you handed it to me, but I'd probably never order it.

Yeah, I like this one less than the first.

That just looks horrid, and...

... apparently it tasted like it looked.

I didn't even want to order it, but Fran was feeling adventurous.

Hm. Odd. You didn't accidentally turn off the autofocus?

You'll see that soon in the other TR, but the point and shoot doesn't have an on and off for the auto focus. At least that I know of.

Too bad. It sure looked good.

Well, it was good, but I thought it was just a bit too salty for my taste. We did order it again and I think it was better the next time.

Those look really good!

Those were really good, I'm sure we got them again!

I should hope so!

Really!

How was it?

It was great the jam was like raspberry which was so good with the lemon!

Smart. It's not going to slide off a tray.

They brought them from backstage on a tray and then brought them to the tables with the thingys.

Hmmm.... I wonder. Would he have spoken for too long, or not long enough.

Every speaker ran the risk of running overtime. They get up there and just can't help but keep talking!

Lofty goal.
Which apparently he reached!

Yes, obviously he did! And became quite successful!

That was a great story Alison. Thanks for sharing that with us.

You're welcome. I was really moved that day. I realized that all these years I've judged Mondavi Wines unfairly, who knows, maybe next year I'll come home with a ton of them!

I might have to do the same some day.
You've intrigued me.

Napa is a very fun place to visit, I haven't been in quite a few years!

It did fool me.

Too bad it sucked despite the false advertising.

I think that the week before we went for the wine tasting the morning news program I watch had a reporter covering the festival and he is known for his foodie status and not necessarily high end food. He tasted a bunch of dishes and when he said that they were carnitas made from Jackfruit, I was like, "No way. I'm not trying those." Of course he said that you couldn't tell there wasn't any meat in there, but I was still in the "no way" camp.
Fran was trying to have an open mind, I knew it would suck.

And yet you ordered it anyway?

Well we figured that we could get those peppers out of there before they ruined the drink and we did. It was only slightly spicy.

Corn and dessert are not two words I would have put together.
Interesting.

I know, me either, although I did have a liquor soaked corn cake at the Boathouse at Disney Springs, twice and it was great both times.

I kinda like that, actually.

It was nice that her approach to the demo was so different than the first guy. Plus it does make me want to visit their winery on that upcoming trip.

Well, I can't say that I'm surprised.

Yeah, if I have a choice of bacon, cheese, teriyaki sliders or artichokes, guess which one loses.

Because it is an artichoke!

Well I do like them, but they don't rate as high as bacon, cheese or several other ingredients.

Ah... that makes up for that other booth.

Cool history lesson! I hope you get there to visit that winery soon!

Thanks! The plan is next spring/summer.

That's just cruel to serve meat free carnitas. It should be false advertising. How can they even call it carnitas if there is no meat????

I don't know either. I thought carnitas meant pork, but maybe it's a style of stewing. Either way, the meatless version did not work for me!

Soooo, I made a massive and possibly unforgivable error! Somehow I unsubscribed to this thread and didn't realize it for well... months!

:scared1::sad2:

I just... don't even know how...

Regardless, I'm re-subbed in and will now go back and do some catching up. For the sake of just getting caught back up, I'll keep my comments brief this time around and will do better next time.

ETA: Yes, I did go back and read all the demo and F&W updates from where I'd left off. Loads and loads of good food for sure.

Yes, we did see 2 cats that night.

:laughing: I haven't even gotten to that night!

Glad you were able to catch up. Yes it was some good food and there is more to come. I'm not surprised we didn't get a lot done in that time period because we were out there every week and towards the end we were out there several times a week. But now we need to really hunker down and get it done!

The first one we tried was I heart artichokes.

I think I would have liked that booth....I love artichokes. Although....I would have kept clear of the pop version.

I don't blame you. I would have done so myself.

I realized that Robert Mondavi’s dream had been fulfilled and he really was the underdog who prevailed. His dream of putting California on the map came true. So on our next trip to Napa, I most definitely have to pay homage to this winemaker who brought California into the world stage.

I was going to mention this movie as well. Jill beat me to it! Hope you get to see it.

Jackfruit

Well....there you go. Jackfruit is a fruit from my youth in SE Asia. It's been making the rounds lately as a 'meat' substitute. I even saw an on-line recipe for Jackfruit pulled pork! I quite like it as a fruit. But I think it's not the right fruit to use as a meat substitute.

there is no meat in this dish and I didn’t like it. Fran ate a few bites and agreed with me, so we tossed it.

That's a shame.

Artichokes - I've only had whole ones once or twice. It felt like a ton of work, for not a lot of reward, tbh. I prefer the hearts, esp as dip, or with spinach. I sometimes make chicken with spinach and artichoke on top - almost like spinach and artichoke dip.

You, of course, are free to prefer them whole! They are probably much healthier that way, too.

I'm also shaking my head at meatless carnitas. I mean, isn't carne Spanish for meat? I've only seen pork carnitas, myself, and that's how I make them. Meatless carnitas feels like someone unclear on the concept...

Yes, and I'm so glad that you introduced me to them. I do have to tell that they are Macarons (pronounced Mah-ca-roh), they're French. You are typing Macaroon (pronouced Mah-ca-rune), they are two totally different things. I have no idea where the latter comes from but they are coated in coconut flakes and are nasty! The French ones are absolutely exquisite....

I like both :D popcorn:: popcorn:: popcorn::

Jenny had me try the coconut macaroon at the Jolly Holly Bakery and it was splendid!

I know, but there was banter regarding it. ;)

(Yes, I really was reading!)

OK, I don't remember the discussion.... :rolleyes1

I think I would have liked that booth....I love artichokes. Although....I would have kept clear of the pop version.

I was ready to skip it, but Fran must have been feeling adventurous that day as she wanted to try two things that I was willing to forego.

I don't blame you. I would have done so myself.

I think I got that like four different times over the course of the weeks.

I was going to mention this movie as well. Jill beat me to it! Hope you get to see it.

I'll certainly try...

Well....there you go. Jackfruit is a fruit from my youth in SE Asia. It's been making the rounds lately as a 'meat' substitute. I even saw an on-line recipe for Jackfruit pulled pork! I quite like it as a fruit. But I think it's not the right fruit to use as a meat substitute.

I don't even know what one looks like. I'm just not a fan of "meat" substitutes. There are plenty of good vegan and vegetarian things out there that I don't think you need to "make" meat out of something else.

That's a shame.

I told her that I didn't want it, but I did give it a try.

Artichokes - I've only had whole ones once or twice. It felt like a ton of work, for not a lot of reward, tbh. I prefer the hearts, esp as dip, or with spinach. I sometimes make chicken with spinach and artichoke on top - almost like spinach and artichoke dip.

Since they are grown here in California, they're kind of big here. Now that I'm getting older, when I have one for dinner, that is my dinner. I used to have it as a vegetable with meat and starch, but now I find that eating one as my dinner works out just fine. If I'm still hungry after that, it gives me an excuse to have a sweet treat!

I make a Chicken Vesuvius which uses frozen artichoke hearts, and I also like it in a spinach dip as well.

You, of course, are free to prefer them whole! They are probably much healthier that way, too.

Not when you dip them in Mayonnaise! :laughing:

I'm also shaking my head at meatless carnitas. I mean, isn't carne Spanish for meat? I've only seen pork carnitas, myself, and that's how I make them. Meatless carnitas feels like someone unclear on the concept...

According to Wikipedia "Carnitas, literally meaning "little meats", is a dish of Mexican cuisine originating from the state of Michoacán." It goes on to say that it is made of pork. I'm pretty sure it's the "healthy California lifestyle" people or wanting to make them feel included.

I like both :D popcorn:: popcorn:: popcorn::

Jenny had me try the coconut macaroon at the Jolly Holly Bakery and it was splendid!

Coconut makes me gag, at least the shredded coconut.

Somewhere around the end of March

So I’m offering the second and alternate view of three DISers meeting up at the end of March. You see @pkondz and his daughter had made a trip to the Southwestern US, and @Steppesister decided to tag along for the Disneyland part. Since I live here, most of you know I’m usually happy to take a day or two (if I’m not swamped) to come out for a DISmeet!

So this had been planned for several months and our first day was going to be full of some power touring.

As many of you know, I’m not always the best at early rising, and this was on a Wednesday morning. I think that band rehearsal had been canceled for the night before, so I had a better chance of getting up and out of the house early. In fact, I was there by 9:30, half an hour before our scheduled meeting time of 10AM. I was wandering around Main Street and ran into pkondz and his daughter probably 15 minutes before we were supposed to meet up. They were going to get a locker for his backpack, but since I had my scooter with me, I suggested he just put it in the bag on the back. Shortly thereafter Steppesister caught up with us and we started on our day.

Our first ride was the Jungle Cruise. I must confess that I did not take these pictures that day, but instead of providing an update with no pictures, I have recycled some pictures from the past.

Our skipper was really great. We boarded at the exit (which is how they normally board folks using an ECV), so we had a few extra minutes for him to get to know us. He saw Kay’s Birthday button and asked her name and Ponzi’s as well. I don’t remember many of the jokes, but he had some that were well beyond the usual groaners, I know he had a great one about the Black Widow spider. He did single out Ponzi a couple times, I believe. The one I do remember was at the end he said, “It’s been great traveling with you today, if you had a good time, my name is John, if not, my name is Ponzi!” We all got a good laugh out of that one.

Next up was Indiana Jones, we were able to survive our journey despite encounters with rats, snakes and treacherous caverns.

And of Course Pirates of the Caribbean! Both Liesa and I ended up with soaked butts!

We stopped for some beignets after that, I stole this picture from Liesa’s TR! I wolfed down mine Beignet so fast, I don’t have one to show.

Et7WwJCcCSkm4T7eDskwL-d9esbgSDdFMNRHWjnPuIQUhOC2OxuQw3CmRmg2_6r1nJ2siRlm_R1MuRjofMHhXBiUHquqFfpDQCPfe2lAKiLV7_x6wUJycCWThifpDOoM2U9a6d0m

Then we moved on to the Haunted Mansion.

I believe that next up was Big Thunder…

Then we decided to meet some royalty….

By this time, we had worked up quite an appetite. The Plaza Inn was our choice for this meal and I split this Chicken Dinner plate with pkondz. Who says he doesn’t know how to share?

I don’t remember if we rode Star Tours and Space Mountain next, we got our obligatory Dole Whip, and according to Liesa’s photos we also rode Finding Nemo submarines, but somewhere in time, those things happened.

DJe6EWE9A-XcHa3gbVP3-PgmHhdZNR7qeHSxv-RTwIYQjUjy74Db9tT6x2fcxLEFfdc2wbHrvrEz9Sm0w_yMcxeySgm70bENJD9LU_7b06-HdyOAgHo3yC_dy7roENVJF-4LUd5B

Then we hopped over to DCA where I believe we went on Soarin over the World first. On our way to TSMM, we saw Francisco (our favorite Disneyland cat). Upon riding TSMM, I was still a beaver. :sad2:

I specifically “engineered” our route into Carsland to take the same one that I had when I entered it for the first time. As you will see from everyone elses posts, they thought it was just as stunning. And after a ride on Radiator Springs Racers, we were pretty much toast! Everyone was ready for some food and drink!

We got the Pad Thai Lobster Roll and the Chicken Roll.

Mini Hot Dogs wrapped in Puff Pastry, Queso Fundido, Flatbread with a bunch of stuff on it. I only remember cauliflower and didn’t want to eat that. Plus a Charcuterie plate.

We had lots of laughs, especially watching Liesa spill her drink!

And when they saw Kay’s Birthday Button, they brought her out a dish of ice cream!

The other three were going to watch World of Color, but I was tired. Fran had dropped me off in the morning and I called her when we were around an hour from being done. I said my temporary goodbyes (we were meeting again the next day) and sent them off to secure seating for the show.

I don't even know what one looks like. I'm just not a fan of "meat" substitutes. There are plenty of good vegan and vegetarian things out there that I don't think you need to "make" meat out of something else.

It looks like the big brother for Durian. Only not as pointy. :rolleyes1

I’m usually happy to take a day or two (if I’m not swamped) to come out for a DISmeet!

Wish I lived closer to meet you more often!

We stopped for some beignets after that, I stole this picture from Liesa’s TR! I wolfed down mine Beignet so fast, I don’t have one to show.

What a great group of Dissers.

The Plaza Inn was our choice for this meal and I split this Chicken Dinner plate with pkondz. Who says he doesn’t know how to share?

Yum! No one has ever told me that pkondz doesn't share.

we got our obligatory Dole Whip,

Totally pineapple green with envy!

Pad Thai Lobster Roll and the Chicken Roll.

Oh wow! You're totally rubbing it in now.

Fantastic day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter