Cell phone for teen- new or used?

frannn

<font color=blue>please stop the madnesssss alread
We'd like to add a phone on our Sprint plan for DD17. Unfortunately, things tend to break quickly in her presence, so it'll be a older model or used phone. Would I be best getting a used galaxy S5 that we would be able to change the battery in (100 or under) or a new S9 (300 plus)? I already ordered a new battery to test DH's old S5, but I'm prepared to order a used phone if his doesn't work. This will be her first cell phone, but she's had iPods, tablets, etc. I'm sure it will get a lot of use data-wise.

i would say any phone would work just buy a glass screen protector and a good case. DD got her phone "free" because DH needed a new one and they had a buy one get one free offer

I would go used. If I wanted a 900 dollar phone when I was 17 (I mean... They didn't exist but still) then it would have been on me to work and save for. 100 or 200 bucks, sure mom and dad might bite for that. I myself am using a first generation Google Pixel that my BIL gave me and I have also bought used phones in the past on eBay. I think the only Pixel to avoid is the 4 (not 4A) because I guess the battery life is bad. Previously I had a Samsung S4 and S6 and those were both fine too.

We got DD a new but older model iPhone with an otter box. It has so far held up a couple years and she knows that she would have to work hard to get it replaced should something happen to it.

Regardless of new or used, perhaps you should let your daughter know SHE would be responsible to pay the repair/replacement cost if the she damages the phone due to neglect or misuse. She might be more careful how she handles it and take better care of it. Don't have any experience with used phones, do they come with any type of warranty? Most sensitive electronics tend to cause issues once 'refurbished', so may be more trouble then it is worth. Honestly, a lot of the pricey phones are expensive due to the brand name associated with it or having to have all of the latest features.

Last edited:
We have sprint as well, I bought a refurbished phone from the sprint webpage. that was 2 years old. It was $199 .
With my DH, We got stuck in in the lease and upgrade in 18m thing they do. My DH had a small corner crack and we could not turn it in.
The problem with used phones is you never know how they were treated.. the refurbished phone has a new battery etc.

have you considered an iphone 8? they're relatively inexpensive compared to the newer models and are arguably similar to the iphone X and iphone 11. i'm also a teen and i think most of us would prefer an iphone 8 over a galaxy.

Another thing to keep in mind is that older phones don’t necessarily support the latest operating systems or apps which can be a headache from day one.

Why don’t you ask her what phone she wants and have her pay 1/2. If she gets a phone she likes and has some skin in the game, she may be much more careful with it.

have you considered an iphone 8? they're relatively inexpensive compared to the newer models and are arguably similar to the iphone X and iphone 11. i'm also a teen and i think most of us would prefer an iphone 8 over a galaxy.
Are they still selling them? I got my 8 a year ago, if I had waited for the 5 se I’d have a better cheaper phone the same size.

Are they still selling them? I got my 8 a year ago, if I had waited for the 5 se I’d have a better cheaper phone the same size.

you can buy them at best buy or through a carrier. but there's also the new iphone SE that is nearly the same price as the 8 that has better features.

you can buy them at best buy or through a carrier. but there's also the new iphone SE that is nearly the same price as the 8 that has better features.
Yes, I know, it came out after I bought my 8 unfortunately, but 2 of my kids bought the 5 se and are happy (my 8 was around $700 when I bought it I think).

iPhone se or pixel 4a. Both under $400 new. Don't have to deal with any of the used nonsense/pitfalls.

My husband and I get new phones and daughter gets one of our used phones when we change or renew our plan (or when there is a good deal going on). We've done this twice. I think Verizon has a deal right now about switching to them. It's on TV all the time here. There are also on line only deals.

Another thing to keep in mind is that older phones don’t necessarily support the latest operating systems or apps which can be a headache from day one.
This, a Galaxy S5 is not getting any more updates and some apps will not work with it any longer. Usually you get about three years of updates before they start dwindling. You might want to look at something from OnePlus, since they have some nice phones without the cost of Samsung or Apple.

We’re in the middle of a pandemic/recession. I don’t really know what a teen needs a phone for if they’re stuck at home with virtual learning. I’d go cheap with an older model of a phone they’d like. They should be able to do most of their interactions over their laptop until this pandemic is over. Maybe help them sign up for a free Zoom account.

As a parent I refuse to buy the latest and greatest 1000.00+ phones for anyone in our family. In fact I just upgraded my iPhone 6s to a brand new Galaxy s9 purple. Purchased it off eBay for 363.00 after taxes. My daughter purchased a used iPhone 7 in 2019 and is happy with it. My son has a refurbished galaxy s7 that he got in 2018 for Christmas. Both of their phones are still working great. They both know if they want a brand new phone they will have to contribute to the cost. The deal is I'll give them 300.00 towards the phone of their choice and they have to cough up the rest and they are not allowed payment plans while I'm paying the monthly bill.

I also have a child that is hard on her electronics. I don't insure anything of mine, but I insure everything of hers. I would look for something new, but not top of the line and spend extra for insurance that includes accidental damage. My DD20's phone has been repaired under warranty twice.

I also have a child that is hard on her electronics. I don't insure anything of mine, but I insure everything of hers. I would look for something new, but not top of the line and spend extra for insurance that includes accidental damage. My DD20's phone has been repaired under warranty twice.
This is me. DS got an IPhone 6s with no Apple Care+ and twice broke the screen (it was a used 6s). He used his birthday money (from a few years) to get an XR and I paid to get him Apple Care+. He took it to the beach with his dad and went swimming with it. Got a new phone for $99. I knew with him the insurance is worth it.

And honestly I broke two screens in six months (work phone with Apple Care+). Everyone in my house has good cases and screen protectors. And before I got my phone from work, I bought used from Gazelle/Swappa/Ebay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!