Chance to buy older DVC propertie - VGF- direct

fely1st

Mouseketeer
We are really thinking about buying points during our next trip in may 2018.Since we don't live in the US we have to buy while at Disney. We want to buy direct for personal reasons but that should not be the point. We are dreaming of the Grand Floridian as homeresort, but I think it is sold out already. What do you think are our chances, are there waitlists or something like that. Did someone get sold out contracts and how long did you have to wait? It would be difficult for us to fly to Disney from Germany just to sign the contracts - even if I would love to.:rolleyes1

If you're flexible on your use year, you can talk to a guide and ask to be put on a waitlist and have pretty decent success with time. You should call/email DVC to do this now and try to get that put together before you arrive. They can put you on the waitlist and hopefully find you something before you arrive so you're just signing documents and handing over money when on site.

Be prepared that they'll try to push the new CCV, and what's left of the PVB and Aulani. Just be very clear that you are only interested in VGF. If you get a guide who tells you the waitlist is closed (as my first guide did), PM me and I'll give you a couple of names of guides who will work with you to get you on a waitlist.

A huge benefit to buying direct is that you can put the entirety of the purchase on a credit card which may help address distance for sending money.

The 2 times we looked into buying direct at VGF it took over a month and a half for them to come up with the points. So I would talk to your guide long before your visit about a direct purchase.

My guess is that you are out of luck. I don't think that they can even put you on the list unless you are there. As you posted if points do become available, you would have to come back to WDW to make the purchase.

:earsboy: Bill

I also think it would probably just have to be pure luck to get VGF while at WDW. Most reports are that there isn't a waitlist so you'd have to happen upon a guide that would keep checking for you. It's one of those resorts where buying resale can be faster - or even just make it possible to buy there. As that's not an option then you're likely going to need to have a second resort in mind if that's an option. Maybe you'll get lucky though.

We are also foreigners and I tried to contact my guide as we were already owners but wanted some direct points.

They wouldn’t/couldn’t put me on any WL as they weren’t allowed to sell to my location. I had to show up in person. By pure luck they had BLT available for my UY the day we arrived at Poly this September. We had that trip planned months in advance.

If you call they might be able to tell you what the current inventory is. Maybe and just maybe they can “Hold” that inventory but only for a few days. They originally promised me to hold the inventory we agreed on but when BLT and my UY got available I chose that over the other inventory. If they hold the inventory you need to travel within days not weeks. Also everyone who need to be on the deed need to go.

I think you will have much more success finding a resale contract instead.

Thanks for all your support. I already feared that I have to be there in person to start the buying but I appreciate all your tipps. Maybe we get some pixie dust, maybe we have to come back (which wouldn't be too bad, I mean going to Disney -you know...)And maybe we have to change our plans. But I still dream:lovestruc

Thanks for all your support. I already feared that I have to be there in person to start the buying but I appreciate all your tipps. Maybe we get some pixie dust, maybe we have to come back (which wouldn't be too bad, I mean going to Disney -you know...)And maybe we have to change our plans. But I still dream:lovestruc

Buying resale doesn't have the same restrictions that buying from a developer has. You might want to rethink your direct decision and buy from home.

Buying resale doesn't have the same restrictions that buying from a developer has. You might want to rethink your direct decision and buy from home.

I'd agree. It would be weighting the reason OP wishes to buy direct vs getting the resort they really seem to want.

I'm really not sure what to do, at one side I really, really dream of GFV but I know my chances to get it direct are very low. I also know all the savings I can get buying resale, but I'm a little bit afraid doing such a big sale online from a different country. I mean, it is something else to read or speak english on vacation (or here) or doing contracts and maybe get something wrong. And we also would like some of the perks like savings on annual Passes. Do you miss something when you bought resale or did you all buy some points at disney after buying resale.Does disney behave different when you buy resale vs direct? I really appreciate all your help, since this is a difficult desicion for us and I don't want to reget something.

I'm really not sure what to do, at one side I really, really dream of GFV but I know my chances to get it direct are very low. I also know all the savings I can get buying resale, but I'm a little bit afraid doing such a big sale online from a different country. I mean, it is something else to read or speak english on vacation (or here) or doing contracts and maybe get something wrong. And we also would like some of the perks like savings on annual Passes. Do you miss something when you bought resale or did you all buy some points at disney after buying resale.Does disney behave different when you buy resale vs direct? I really appreciate all your help, since this is a difficult desicion for us and I don't want to reget something.

First - if you purchase thru one of the brokers who specialize in DVC and are often talked about on these boards there's relatively little to be concerned IMO. They handle many transactions and many on these boards have purchased that way - myself included. The contracts are pretty standard, hard to get them to change anything actually so only the negotiations change the terms up - price per point, MF reimbursement or not. Much different and less involved than buying a house or such. Now can something come up? Yes, but it's very rare. I suspect your english is sufficient to handle the purchase.

If the benefits of having a qualified membership can be of value then what people are doing now is doing a small add on after closing on the resale. Currently 25 points direct will qualify you for benefits. What still might be difficult is getting those 25 points at VGF while you are visiting but at least it should have better odds than hoping for a larger contract while there.

We own both direct and resale points. First purchase was resale. It was bought before Disney started limiting benefits but we also have one that was bought after the first benefit restrictions. I've experienced no difference and it's also been very very rare to see reports of a CM indicating any difference unless it's because a resale buyer wanted to reserve something they no longer qualified to use.

My guess is that you are out of luck. I don't think that they can even put you on the list unless you are there. As you posted if points do become available, you would have to come back to WDW to make the purchase.

We have 10 different contracts half bought direct and half resale, and we never purchased while onsite or had to come back to WDW. Always over the phone and via the mail and email for every contract except the two we bought on a Disney Cruise. Even that was handled pretty much online and via phone and snail mail after the cruise.

We have 10 different contracts half bought direct and half resale, and we never purchased while onsite or had to come back to WDW. Always over the phone and via the mail and email for every contract except the two we bought on a Disney Cruise. Even that was handled pretty much online and via phone and snail mail after the cruise.

Do you live in Germany? The OP lives in Germany and DVD is restricted from selling direct to several countries and the buyer can only buy while at a Disney location.

Do you live in Germany? The OP lives in Germany and DVD is restricted from selling direct to several countries and the buyer can only buy while at a Disney location.

Oh. Duh. No we don’t live in Germany, but in the US. Sorry OP.:confused3

Once you're sufficiently knowledgeable I suspect you'll be comfortable with the resale process. It's going to be your best way to get VGF.

If you are not completely comfortable with the resale process and paying that amount of money while living aboard you could insist paying all money using a creditcard.

Normally there is no fees paying the down payment using a creditcard. There will however be some sort of fee when you pay the balance. I think the fee is around 3%

IF anything goes wrong you can always file for a chargeback and get all you money back.

I did that once when I was buying a timeshare (not DVC) when the closing company and broker tried to have me pay additional fees on top of what was agreed. I ended up filing for a chargeback and within days I got all of my money back.

So for added security you pay a small premium - is it worth it? - only you can tell, I have done it like this in the past so for me it was worth it as it gave me peace of mind, now I just wire the money. This is ofc after I have done some research on the broker/closing company.

One thing I still can't understand is that a domistic wire transfer in the US cost money - WHY? I can understand that an international transfer cost money.

I live in Denmark and we can wire money to the entire EU for 0 fees - ofc there is the exchange rate from my currency to EUR but thats to be expected. Within Denmark the only fee we might pay(not all banks charge the fee) is $0,15 if the transfer has to be completed ASAP(money to arrive within seconds) if we can wait until the next day there is no fees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!