Changes rumored to be coming Disney restaurants upon reopening

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that buffet style restaurants like Boma & Tusker House reopen with servers dishing out the food, instead of self serve. The main glitch I see though is guests maintaining social distance at the buffet line. I'm wondering if it would take forever to get your food, unless they sent one person to each station such as salads, soups, etc, and had a cast member monitoring the line sending people up, kind of like they do in some retail outlets. I don't know. I guess time will tell.

I hope not all will be family style. We have a vegan, someone with dietary restrictions and a tried and true carnivore. We don't eat the same foods and 3 in my family can't eat off a large platter with other foods like that. That's why buffets were great for us and restaurants like Garden Grill were a no go. Hopefully they'll be some flexibility but for the life of me I can't figure out why they don't offer the buffets as tapas style.

I'm certainly not going to pay the same prices if I don't get to choose what I eat. Perhaps that is their way of keeping the restaurant's at low capacity.

Last edited:
I'm o.k. with no buffets since we never ate at them to start with. I don't eat huge amounts at one meal so it was always a waste of money for me, although my son can eat more than 3 people. I can see how it could impact some people though.

I was glad to see Nomad Lounge opening but noticed HBD was on the list but not their outside lounge. That would be a bummer if they didn't open because it is our go to place to eat at HS, I love a Cobb Salad but the meal one is too big. It's a small space so I'm guessing it would be hard to space the tables far enough apart and still turn a profit. I was also disappointed not to see Spice Road Tables but get it since none of the international CM's are going to be there. Their outside space is big though so it could have worked.

I am going to take a wait and see approach. Very happy that we went twice last year and got to experience our favorite meals. This was our off-year to save money anyways! I will say though, that the family style approach works sometimes for us but not always. For our family it did work at Garden Grill (that cinnamon roll bake was to absolutely die for!) but it does not work at Whispering Canyon. None of their skillets have a platter mix that works for our family and that just creates waste. For our family it would have to be tiered, a make-your-own type platter with maybe 2 choices from each tier of meat, veggies and starch. That might work for us. I am glad I am not in charge of finding ways to help them reopen!

I notice Biergarten says Family Style. They have a pretty extensive buffet with lots of different stuff, I wonder how that'll work?

I also wonder if it will be one family per table now? I bet so. That would be pretty sweet.

I hope not all will be family style. We have a vegan, someone with dietary restrictions and a tried and true carnivore. We don't eat the same foods and 3 in my family can't eat off a large platter with other foods like that. That's why buffets were great for us and restaurants like Garden Grill were a no go. Hopefully they'll be some flexibility but for the life of me I can't figure out why they don't offer the buffets as tapas style.

I'm certainly not going to pay the same prices if I don't get to choose what I eat. Perhaps that is their way of keeping the restaurant's at low capacity.

Ugh agreed. We choose buffets because DH & I have (completely different) dietary restrictions, but we can always put together a good meal at a buffet by picking and choosing. My kids are super picky, so I like that I can just pick something else if they don't like what's on their plate. And then there's the character interactions. The majority of our WDW vacations consist of buffets, so our next trip will certainly be a new and interesting experience!

One silver lining to family style service at character meals is not worrying about missing a character when you go to get food from the buffet.

That being said, I'd miss the selection.

On the subject of buffets like Boma, i think Family style dining where you get a platter selection would actually be a great option Pandemic or no Pandemic-at Buffets there is such a thing as too much choice, whereas if someone else is making hte selection for you, well, thats always good for the waistline-if you want more, you can always ask.

And obviously, less people potentially Coronafying your Zebra Domes.

Also from the less exiting point of view of the company finances, at a time when i imagine cost cutting wont be far from Disney Executive minds, doing it this way lets them cut out the food waste costs-just reduce the menu to the popular items and send the boiled carrots to a well deserved retirement.

Changing to a family style breakfast would be disappointing at Boma, with SO many amazing options and learning about new foods you normally wouldn't try. Just can't get all that food on a table.

Being servers on the other hand, would be just fine. I suspect the pace will balance out with a lack of "sandwich artists."

any updaates on this? we'll be there sept8-20 and hoping for Big River Grille, ESPN club, The boardwalk hotdog/corndog cart and Sabastains at CBR. (want to take the skyliner over from BWV) I know BWI doesnt open until oct.1
I thought BWI was opening earlier, I guess I missed an update. I just did a search to see what the options were right now at Boardwalk. Is it just Trattoria? We aren't going until 10/3 but thought if the hotels were opening in August that most (or at least more) of the dining options would be up and running by the time we got there but who knows now? Sounds like our week might be a busy check-in period.

Seems weird that they would convert Chef Mickey's (among others) to "Family Style" and yet close 'Ohana that has always been family style. I'm sure there is a good reason, but I'm also sure I can't imagine what it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter