Chapstick left in pocket, stains all over clothes!

robinb

DIS veteran
Hi there! I left not one, but TWO chapsticks in my UW Badgers sweatshirt pocket and washed it with a bunch of other red clothes. I didn't notice the stains and I dried everything. My DH noticed it and told me when he took things out of the dryer. I tried to rewash with regular laundry detergent and oxyclean (soaked it for about an hour and then washed it) and then I went to a swim meet. My DH nicely dried the clothes without checking the stains. They are all still there and dried TWICE :sad:. Is there any hope? Any suggestions for getting out chapstick stains?

Are they like an oil stain? Maybe check home depot for a detergent specifically for that or some type of de-greaser?
I have used Grandma's Secret (got it at the craft store) and it has gotten out a ton of stains. I also use a combo of diluted simple green cleaner sprayed on a stain and then spray and wash for ds's white baseball pants.

Hope you can get it out :goodvibes

There is some information here, but I've not ever done this, especially not to my buddy Bucky:

LINK is here.

this is stating that chapstick is more like candle wax than an oil stain, and should be treated like a wax.

Good Luck!!!

My dd15 left a chapstick thing in her pocket and I washed it with new clothes:scared1: I used a stain stick on the spots and repeated the stick and washing a few times before all the stains came out. Thankfully it was a pink, not red…but I was not happy about it. Good luck…I hate it when stuff gets left in the pockets.

Original Blue Dawn will work. You might need to apply, let it sit overnight and wash. Repeat if necessary , but ORIGINAL BLUE DAWN will work. My husband pours oil on his shirts everyday.:confused3 I don't always catch it before washing and drying. Dawn works every time.

BTDT. :headache: Actually it was DH who left the Chapstick in his pocket - I just had to deal with the spots.

Resolve Stain Stick will take it out, even after it has been dried. Treat each spot liberally and leave it overnight. It might take two washings, but make sure to leave the Stain Stick overnight each time.

FYI -

I use liquid Tide and leave it in for about an hour and then wash especially after the dryer cycle as leaving Chapsticks in pockets is a frequent seasonal occurrence in my house - especially during the winter months!!

Hope this helps! :)

If it is not colored chapstick, I gotta go with Dawn dish soap, or whatever dish soap you have on hand.

Rather than try this remedy or that, why not just:

1. Look at the ingredients in ChapStick and see what it's made of (wax? petrolatum?) and then figure how to clean it

- OR -

2. Call the company, explain what happened, ask how to get it out. They should know.

WAIT!! Here you go:

http://www.chapstick.com/faqs

There's a question on how to get it out of clothing --- they give two suggestions. First, contact a dry cleaner to see if they can do it. The other suggestion is written there.

Be careful putting Dawn in a front load washer. Dawn can produce a lot of suds and damage a front load washer. It will also leave a lot of soap residue in the interparts of the washer which will cause the washer to stink!

If it is not colored chapstick, I gotta go with Dawn dish soap, or whatever dish soap you have on hand.

Dawn dish soap (the blue one) is excellent!!!! I had dripped motor oil on my daughter's BRAND NEW DC sneakers (she had JUST gotten them that morning!). I spent about an hour with an old, soft tooth brush and soapy (dawn) warm water and I got it all out (i had a towel on the other side of the sneaker where the stain was)./ It took 2 or 3 times but the sneakers looked perfect when I was done!

I used a cleaner/degreaser called Spitfire to get the melted Chapstick stains out of our clothes after a Chapstick went through the washer and dryer.

My husband is a chapstick addict and this has happened many times. I swear by OxiClean liquid. Put it in a spray bottle, don't dilute, spray the spots; wash on the warmest water possible and don't put in the dryer. Some of the spots may need a second treatment. I think most of the spots that don't come out are places I missed when pre treating.

Good luck.

Resolve Stain Stick will take it out, even after it has been dried. Treat each spot liberally and leave it overnight. It might take two washings, but make sure to leave the Stain Stick overnight each time.

This is what I do. It also helps if you can use hot water during the wash cycle.

I would be afraid to use oxiclean or Dawn on a colored garment. It might lighten the area.

Thanks everyone! I will give some of those methods a try today and let you know how it goes! It's going to be a long process. There are about 10 items covered in stains. *sigh*

Thanks everyone! I will give some of those methods a try today and let you know how it goes! It's going to be a long process. There are about 10 items covered in stains. *sigh*

There is a product in the store called Greased lighting or grease release I have used those because my mechanic hubby always has grease and it works well.

Good Luck!

let’s free your clothes from the ugly clutch of chapstick stain with simple 3 steps:

Scrape Off The Residue:
Look for the problem area(s). Find if there is any sticky waxy residue. Keep it in the freezer for a while. Let the wax sit. Grab the spoon/knife and gently scrape it off so that it doesn’t seep into the fabric.

Caution: Don’t overdo it or rub it roughly. Because you may end up tearing the favorite dress you are trying to save.

Treat with Remover:
Take any enzyme-based stain remover or the un-do candle remover you have handy. If you don’t have any then take a spoonful of heavy-duty laundry detergent such as Persil/ tide.
Put it on the problem area and brush for a good 20 minutes. Let the adhesive/detergent/ stain remover sit and work on the fibers. After that, soak the fabric in the water of the bowl.

Wash And Check:
Check the condition of the stain. If it remains you can use bleach in a minimal portion (you will find the bleaching guide on the care tag of the cloth). And repeat the same procedure.

Caution: With bleach, you need to be extra careful. Because beaching agents sometimes cause discoloration.

Hoping that it answers your queries and helps you in winning the battle against that ugly chapstick stain. If you want some other bonus tips on removing chapstick stains from your clothes, read this article on How to get Chapstick out of clothes on HomeNar

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!