Character Dining - Basic American

Ray Irwin

Earning My Ears
Looking for a meat and Potato's character dining. My inlaws are from the midwest and don't like strange names or strange food. (I do try and get them to try new stuff) and my wife does on occasion, but they are very picky eaters.

So prefer Lunch or Dinner character dining. Any recommendations?

I think that for plain American style meat and potatoes you. Any hi wrong at any of the following dinners:

Hollywood & Vine
Chef Mickey
1900 Park Fare
Garden grill

I know you asked for lunch/dinner but I think picky eaters are sometimes better served by breakfast.

Garden Grill and 'Ohana are both served family style (it's your standard waffles/eggs/fruit/bacon with coffee/juice) and if you're paying out of pocket they are a slightly better deal than for a lunch/dinner.

And I don't have much of a recommendation for it. It's ok, but nothing I would go back for for lunch/dinner. I've never done the breakfast though, that might be better.

Looking for a meat and Potato's character dining. My inlaws are from the midwest and don't like strange names or strange food. (I do try and get them to try new stuff) and my wife does on occasion, but they are very picky eaters.

.....any of the following dinners:

Hollywood & Vine
Chef Mickey
1900 Park Fare
Garden grill

Yup.

A new one that is getting pretty good reviews is the Storybook Dining with Snow White at Artist Point. The dining is a bit more upscale so it fits with your goal of getting them top try new things but it is still fairly meat and potatoes. The team from The DIS did a review this weekend.

There is a McDonalds on property I believe.

Why the nasty comment? No need to be snippy when someone is trying to make sure their family is happy with the choice.

A new one that is getting pretty good reviews is the Storybook Dining with Snow White at Artist Point. The dining is a bit more upscale so it fits with your goal of getting them top try new things but it is still fairly meat and potatoes. The team from The DIS did a review this weekend.

I can agree here. WE just got back and the meal was delicious. We had the gnocci choice, the prime rib, and the chicken. I think my DSIL ordered fish, however I was at the opposite end of the table so I am not sure.

The beef was delicious and the potatoes were very good. I wa afraid becuase I like a little horseradish, but not a lot. The amount was perfect. The popover was a nice addition to the meal. I asked about subbing out the carrots. No. They're were delicious! I was nto prepared to like them but they were really tasty.

The chicken was beautifully cooked, and my DD and DGD announced how well cooked the meat was. I think hey liked the potatoes and Brussels sprouts becuase both belonged to the clean plate club.

The gnocci and squash was delicious as well, although it was a bit heavy. It was much better than any I have had on property, and the pan finish was a lovely way to complete them

The meals did not have any fancy sauces. For someone who wanted a fairly straight forward meat and potatoes character meal, this would be my suggestion.

Please don’t blame it on them being from the Midwest. Lots of us from the Midwest have expanded tastes and it’s a sad stereotype to assume all older people from the Midwest only eat meat and potatoes.
Sorry, They are from a small town in Ohio, and not very food adventurous. I thought my mother in law was going to have a heart attack when I ordered her Fillet Medium well. (instead of totally burnt/dead).

Sorry, They are from a small town in Ohio, and not very food adventurous. I thought my mother in law was going to have a heart attack when I ordered her Fillet Medium well. (instead of totally burnt/dead).

My non food adventurous MIL enjoyed the Garden Grill breakfast the most.

Followed by 50s Primetime Cafe ( no characters there, but I thought I'd throw it out as an option)

My DH is a very plain eater too and we have been to many of the buffets on property. He has always been able to find plenty of plain things. Sometimes he ends up eating mostly food from the "kids" section of the buffet. Most of the buffets have a carving station with some sort of beef, they most all have mashed potatoes, mac and cheese and few other basic offerings.

For characters, Garden Grill would be the top choice followed by Chef Mickey. If you include breakfast, there are other options too

Also not a character meal - but maybe consider Biergarten in Epcot. German food is about as meat and potatoes as it gets, plus it's a buffet. Isn't there a lot of German influence in the Midwest? So maybe the food won't be so foreign to your family. Then again I'm from New Jersey so what do I know, lol.

I'm adding a vote for Garden Grill, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter