Charles freaking Boda

Charlie's piece almost reads more like a thesis than an article. I'd love to read a continuation on the topic.

As an unlikely Disney fan, this was a welcome change from the usual Dole Whip debate or magical pixie dust articles that have been recycled for decades.

There is certainly an element of escapism that keeps me interested in Disney but it has nothing to do with the characters or the company's modern marketing practices. Instead, for me, it is the immersion, architecture, themed environments and technology
(I freelance in a related industry and am moving more toward the technology end of things).

I've read biographies on Walt and enjoyed the book Disney War along with Designing Disney. It's fantastic that Charles brings a more intellectual approach to what most people consider folly. His inclusion of raw emotion added authenticity. Good stuff Charles.

PS - I realize there is a high demand for Dole Whip articles and pixie dust. I have no issue with that or with people who love it. Every Disney group offers that though(some better than others and the DIS does it well). But three must be others who are enthusiastic about Disney but not for the classic reasons. I think. Charles has something to offer us.

PPS - I haven't posted in this forum in years. Y'all owe Charles a Dole Whip for bringing me back. It can be a WDW Dole Whip I guess but everyone knows the Aulani ones are the best. Not a lemon one, not a swirl one, not an orange one and not a Butterbeer. Those. Are. Not. Dole. Whipsss.

I must admit it brought a tear to my eye as my own childhood memories played like an old VHS tape in my mind.

My own mother was not intoxicated on alcohol, but on a devious cocktail of religion mixed with mental illness. Perhaps the latter bred by the former? It’s good that you and your brother were able to feel safe in that bathroom, as my younger brother and I rarely felt safe, even with the doors locked. We never knew when a rampage would begin, but it would always begin with a thrum thrumming of footsteps down the hallway as our hearts got caught in our throat. We could always hear the storm as it approached.

We took solace in comic books more as an independent study. The melodic sounds of our Sega Genesis, and the amazing adventures it afforded us, was our refuge when we were together.

You have put into words my own thoughts so eloquently and I’m sure this article will resonate with many.

You are doing the lord’s work, my good man. And being as that I’m an atheist, that is high praise indeed.

I’ll never forget the first time I entered Epcot Center, with the gate area music playing, the perfectly manicured landscapes, staring up at that incredible larger than life icon and the feeling for the first time, that I was safe and all was well.

Thanks for writing and sharing a bit of yourself with everyone. You are impacting people in ways you can not comprehend. It’s great that there are such great micro-communities within the Disney fanbase, and that we can support one another when necessary.

P.S. I posted this here so Charles would hopefully see it, even though it's got some personal things in it. Hope no one is offended. I tried to email him directly, but they have his email listed incorrectly (complete with a misspelling of his last name) on the contact page, as well as no one else answers their email either based on what's on that page, so maybe all the addresses are wrong. I am referencing the contact page here. I tried both Corey and Steve as well with no response, under the disunplugged team section.

Last edited:

I am allowed to say in the #Metoo age that not only is he an insightful writer, I find him very easy on the eyes too. :love:

Charles has one of the best looking pair of forearms I’ve ever seen on a man. Looking at him, I wish I were 20 years younger and living in Florida. I’d volunteer to work at the Bob Marley studio. LOL!

Last edited:

Holy cow. Charles Boda. You spectacular writer, you.

If you haven't read Charles's article "Parks in Perspective," I highly recommend it. It's well-written and gives a perfect explanation as to why adults love theme parks so much. We all have different stories and paths as to why we love storytelling and escapism, but Charles hit the nail on the head. Great writing, Charles! Keep it up!
http://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-...ling-theme-parks-and-the-virtues-of-escapism/

Favorite quotes:
"When faced with what life shouldn’t be, sometimes the only thing that can get us through is remembering what life should be."
"Life isn’t fair, and we learn this as children. Whatever path we decide to walk from then on, we learn it again, and again. The universe doesn’t compromise, the laws of time and space don’t bend to our will. Whatever good we intend, bad things will continue to happen which we are powerless to prevent. We each have only an infinitesimal amount of change we can effect in an almost insignificant little speck of the universe, and accomplishing even the tiniest thing on such a small scale can still feel too overwhelming for us to bear."
"We use storytelling to show ourselves how the world should be — to teach cautionary tales about the consequences of wrongdoing, and the rewards in store for the righteous. We start simple, with children’s books teaching the basics of morality in pop-up form. As we mature, so do our stories. Fables are replaced with complex thought-provoking questions on the nature of morality and reality, and cardboard pop-ups are replaced with CGI. This combination of life lessons and entertainment is crucial to our survival on this planet. Stories help us learn, stories distract us, and stories help us cope."
"The thing is, we know life isn’t fair, but that can’t be all we know. If we determine our worldviews using only the information reality presents us, our attitudes will end up mirroring the hate and pain we see daily. We will become unfair people, perfectly designed to perpetuate an unfair world. Bearing the burdens of a modern age can be overwhelming, and some of us require that break from reality to return refreshed."
Amazing article Charles! Thank you!

If you haven't read Charles's article "Parks in Perspective," I highly recommend it. It's well-written and gives a perfect explanation as to why adults love theme parks so much. We all have different stories and paths as to why we love storytelling and escapism, but Charles hit the nail on the head. Great writing, Charles! Keep it up!
http://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-...ling-theme-parks-and-the-virtues-of-escapism/

Favorite quotes:
"When faced with what life shouldn’t be, sometimes the only thing that can get us through is remembering what life should be."
"Life isn’t fair, and we learn this as children. Whatever path we decide to walk from then on, we learn it again, and again. The universe doesn’t compromise, the laws of time and space don’t bend to our will. Whatever good we intend, bad things will continue to happen which we are powerless to prevent. We each have only an infinitesimal amount of change we can effect in an almost insignificant little speck of the universe, and accomplishing even the tiniest thing on such a small scale can still feel too overwhelming for us to bear."
"We use storytelling to show ourselves how the world should be — to teach cautionary tales about the consequences of wrongdoing, and the rewards in store for the righteous. We start simple, with children’s books teaching the basics of morality in pop-up form. As we mature, so do our stories. Fables are replaced with complex thought-provoking questions on the nature of morality and reality, and cardboard pop-ups are replaced with CGI. This combination of life lessons and entertainment is crucial to our survival on this planet. Stories help us learn, stories distract us, and stories help us cope."
"The thing is, we know life isn’t fair, but that can’t be all we know. If we determine our worldviews using only the information reality presents us, our attitudes will end up mirroring the hate and pain we see daily. We will become unfair people, perfectly designed to perpetuate an unfair world. Bearing the burdens of a modern age can be overwhelming, and some of us require that break from reality to return refreshed."

I LOVED THIS! Charles' articles have been phenomenal. I love his colorful use of language and details!! I wasn't sure about him when he first joined disUnplugged, (i think he may have had a bit of camera-nervousness that is gone now) but he has quickly grown on me and is such a fun addition! Love LOVe LOVE this.

I already loved Charles, reading this article only makes me love him more. I can relate to the rampaging mother. Had one of those. I completely agree with the escapism aspect of Disney. Exactly how I feel.

Charles,
Thank you for this article and thanks to the DIS for giving you this platform. I didn't expect to read such a emotion provoking piece here but I loved it.
In the closing para you say:
"Our decisions are affected by our perspective."
Yes! The direction we all chose to look at the world is different and what could be better. These different perspectives gave us Walt and other like him.

Please keep writing and posting!

Favorite quotes:

Does anyone else read Charles' articles in his voice/inflection...?

Just me...?

I'll show myself out.

Great article! I thoroughly concur. People often mock or question a choice to visit the parks if you're someone who isn't a fan of crowds, no kids etc. - but there really isn't another experience quite like it. I love the detail, the immersion, the imagineering, and the stories. It isn't as much about the rides as the tales they tell, and the fact that the existence of all of it was driven by a midwest kid with a vision who appreciated the value of escapism. I would love even more imaginary societies and worlds to visit as our own becomes more difficult to cope with. Creative architecture, tiny aesthetic delights, careful florals, and everywhere stories.

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!