Chef's table or Steakhouse 55?

khewlett

Earning My Ears
Husband and I are headed next week to celebrate my birthday. We can't decide between the Chef's table at Napa Rose or Steakhouse 55.

I am fairly adventurous food wise and willing to at least try things. But are they open to our tastes at all?

Looking for feedback! Thanks!

Chefs table absolutely will make efforts to prepare dishes that you’ll like. If you’re adventurous about something you can tell them and they might work that into the meal. If there are things you want to avoid they will find something else. If there are strict dietary restrictions make sure to tell them ahead of time, but they’re really pretty good.

This books up fast, so do your best to jump on it tomorrow if you’re trying for it. Ask to be in the center or appetizer station.... or at least anywhere other than dessert station (it’s fine, but far less action).

It’s a long dinner, 2 to 2.5 hours, huge portions for how many courses there are, they’re accommodating if you want to try a couple different desserts or something, and it’s a really unique fun experience.

I did it for the first time last Halloween on the day before my friend arrived (thinking she wouldn’t want to give up that much park time) and enjoyed it so much that I asked for them to try to fit me in again with my friend a couple days later (which they were able to do!) and I loved it again. They remembered me and every course I had was different (and I’m vegetarian, which limited their options a lot).

A lot of people complain they don’t really make a menu that’s much different than what’s offered to the rest of the restaurant, but the food tastes great and the experience is fun. You could always go in asking for something different than the normal menu (if possible depending what the kitchen has), but it does get hard since a lot of prep work happens in the early afternoon (at any restaurant), so calibrate your expectations there.

(This is also actually a fairly reasonably priced chefs table, especially when you think there probably is a “Disney premium” tagged on.)

Personally, I prefer Steakhouse 55. As for your preferences, it really depends on the chef of the night. Chef Sutton was there and when I told him I didn't care for scallops, but did love other shellfish. One of the dishes he made for me was the lemon diver scallop, but he substituted a prawn in its place. Very good. I also said I didn't like spicy food. And he brings me the Smiling Tiger Salad, complete with the spicy beef. When I commented about the spice, he said"You'll like the way I do it." I didn't. I do like Napa Rose, but to be honest, I prefer S55.

For taste/experience/wine pairing, Chef's Counter. For quantity/getting exactly what you want for a great price, SH55. Both are absolutely amazing. I side on Napa even though it's Pricier and portions are more of a french tasting menu, but SH55 is a very, very, very close second. I've been constantly amazed at both and you can't go wrong with either.

For taste/experience/wine pairing, Chef's Counter...
To clarify for the OP: this is correct. It is a Chef's Counter, not a table. You will be seated at a counter which runs along the front and side of the kitchen, not at a private table.
As for which restaurant to choose, it totally depends on your taste preference. S55 is very much a "meat and potatoes" style steakhouse -- classic preparation and presentations. NR is California wine country style cooking. Look over the menus for both restaurants to see which style of food appeals t you more. (Or to see if one style doesn't appeal to you!) Then go with whichever one sounds better!

S55 is very much a "meat and potatoes" style steakhouse -- classic preparation and presentations.
Not sure I'd call it a "meat and potatoes" place. It is a great meat place, and they do have potato on the menu, but I can't remember the last time I had a potato there. There are too many other things to try, like the risotto, the crispy spinach (to die for, and we don't even like spinach!), the truffled Mac and Cheese, or the Black Truffled fritters. All the sides easily serve 2-3, so when my daughter and I go, we will split one steak so we can get at least 2 sides as we love them so much. Oh, don't forget soup! The Onion au Gratin and the bisque are really good!! Most presentations I have seen at steakhouses, the food comes all on your plate, whereas S55 you get the steak, and the sides are served to the table and you put them on the plate with how much you want.

Both are favorites of mine for special dinners. I haven't been to Napa Rose in 5 years but we did the chef's counter and just loved it. I loved being able to try new things I've never had before or would ever think to try when one is limited to just what is on the menu but they were also very good about taking food sensitivities and tastes into account. My former step son hates tomatoes, he told them he did not care for them and they gave him dishes without. Last time at SH55 was October of 2018 and we ate there for my birthday and loved it. The steaks were good, the sides were good but I felt stuffed after the meal. We realized after we had ordered we could have split a steak in addition to the sides. There was only 2 of us and we had so much left over after.

I think what you want to consider is what type of food do you really want to have? I agree SH55 isn't just meat and potatoes though if that is what you are after you certainly can go with that. SH55 also seems quieter than sitting at the chef's counter where you are witnessing the hustle and bustle of a working kitchen so it can be a little bit noisier. I just remembered the bread service at Napa Rose..... I may be drooling at the thought. 🤤

Either way you can't go wrong. I hope you enjoy whichever you decide!

I feel so in the dark. How does one find pricing per adult for Chef's Counter? What is included in that price? And I assume it is best to book it by calling the DINE number? We are making several trips and I am sure we are doing Steakhouse 55. Maybe Napa Rose Chef's counter but I know so very little about it. Disney makes the actual info on this difficult to find online. Sigh.

Not sure I'd call it a "meat and potatoes" place. It is a great meat place, and they do have potato on the menu, but I can't remember the last time I had a potato there. There are too many other things to try, like the risotto, the crispy spinach (to die for, and we don't even like spinach!), the truffled Mac and Cheese, or the Black Truffled fritters. All the sides easily serve 2-3, so when my daughter and I go, we will split one steak so we can get at least 2 sides as we love them so much. Oh, don't forget soup! The Onion au Gratin and the bisque are really good!! Most presentations I have seen at steakhouses, the food comes all on your plate, whereas S55 you get the steak, and the sides are served to the table and you put them on the plate with how much you want.
Agree on this. SH55 is alacarte and honestly probably the best value for an amazing meal on property. Every meal I've had there has been simply amazing whether it be breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I think it's better than Napa table-service and only barely edged out by Chef's counter because of the variety and wine pairings.

I feel so in the dark. How does one find pricing per adult for Chef's Counter? What is included in that price? And I assume it is best to book it by calling the DINE number? We are making several trips and I am sure we are doing Steakhouse 55. Maybe Napa Rose Chef's counter but I know so very little about it. Disney makes the actual info on this difficult to find online. Sigh.

I paid $450 for three meals and one wine pairing after tip back in 2015.

I found this to be an issue too when I went the first time. You will want to call the restaurant directly at 714-635-2300. The last price I saw was $100 per person back in 2018 when I was still deciding about it. Most of the info I found was different blogger and website reviews to know what I was getting into. Remember this was back from 2018

" There are two dining times: 5:30pm & 8pm, and a total of 12 available seats that are split between the main preparation area (8) and the dessert station of the kitchen (4). The cost of sitting at the Chef’s Counter varies based on the experience you choose. You are able to order from the regular menu, the seasonal 4-course vintner’s menu, or you can have a completely custom 6-course “tasting menu” created just for you. Let’s be real, this is the main reason to dine at the Chef’s Counter. This dining option will set you back $100 a person. You can also add a custom wine pairing (with generous pours) created to match seamlessly with your meal."

My son and I dined at the Chef's Counter February 2019 and it was $100/ per person. I added the wine flight which was very perfectly paired to my meal. My son was 11 at the time and Chef Gloria tailored his menu (no seafood- otherwise anything) and it was an amazing experience. I believe with 1 wine flight I paid $320 with tip. You have to call Napa Rose directly; the dine line does not have reservations for the counter. We plan to do it again when we visit in August. I did a review with pictures in Feb19 if you want to search it. I don't know how to attach things! whatever you decide to do I'm sure it will be fun and very tasty. :)

"You are able to order from the regular menu, the seasonal 4-course vintner’s menu, or you can have a completely custom 6-course “tasting menu” created just for you. Let’s be real, this is the main reason to dine at the Chef’s Counter. This dining option will set you back $100 a person. You can also add a custom wine pairing (with generous pours) created to match seamlessly with your meal."
I believe this changed in the last 2 years. You can no longer order off the menu.

Yes, the removal of the ability to customize a menu makes the chef's counter completely uninteresting to me--I'd rather sit in the less hectic parts of the restaurant, in more comfortable chairs, with better service.

Then again you can't go wrong with Steakhouse 55. We've had consistently excellent meals there.

Not sure I'd call it a "meat and potatoes" place. It is a great meat place, and they do have potato on the menu, but I can't remember the last time I had a potato there...
What I meant was that S55 is more straightforward with its menu and descriptions. What they offer is described in a straightforward manner and what you order is pretty much what you get. When we take certain friends there, they don't appear to hesitate or struggle at all with the menu because they seem to be more confident in knowing what they are ordering. This isn't always true at NR. While there is usually steak on the menu there, it may be described very differently (beef cheeks?) and prepared in a different manner than some people may be used to. We've seen people become more nervous with the NR menu because they might be unfamiliar with the ingredient list or the presentations. In the end, they'll admit (with relief!) that they did like their food, but they do seem to feel much more comfortable at S55. We like the food at both restaurants, but it depends on our mood which one we choose on a given night.

For me it's always Chef counter at Napa Rose because I feel the pricing for what you get is better than the actual dining room , if you're a foodie like me. Though to be fair even before my DH ate more than meat and potatoes, they did an amazing job catering to him. We have gone no less than 4 times in the last 5 years and it's always out favorite.

We love SH55 too though, actually last visit I came down so sick from dramamine ( took too much) , he went solo and said it was as good as ever. It's really a solid choice though I will forever mourn the 24 layer cake.

So DH turns 60 this year while we are at DL (assuming it EVER re-opens), and I'd love to take him to the Chef's Counter for his birthday dinner (we have five days, so we can take up a little park time, or even do it on arrival day, two days earlier, when we're not planning to be in the parks). However, his birthday is the week between Christmas and New Year's, so I assume that will book up quickly. How soon in advance can I call? Is it like regular dining, sixty days out? Or can I call as soon as they announce they'll be opening up, even if it's outside of the sixty-day window?

I would do both. When you call they make reservations directly in their books and not the standard Disney Dining. I don’t recall how far out the books open, but I would jump on it as soon as the restaurant reopens and then check in once or twice to make sure everything is all set.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter