Child free and DVC?

nicolej92

Mouseketeer
There is a good chance we will remain a child free couple after we get married. It's a long story as to our reasons why, but that's not for here.

We have recently decided that we will be buying DVC (probably after we get married just to avoid all the name change stuff). Our families are already annoyed at the fact that we won't be having children, but it's so annoying to hear them complain about our Disney trips and getting married there. I have been told to "grow up" more times than I can count.

For those without children (at this moment or forever)- do you always feel yourself justifying Disney as your vacation place of choice? How do you respond?

The way I see it, there are two types of people in this world. Those who don't get it and those who still believe in the magic. You are the latter, and your families are in the former. The problem really comes down to that most adults still think of Disney in terms as a place for kids. Their image is based only on Magic Kingdom. Why not plan a trip with your families for the Food & Wine Festival with some visits to the other parks. Show them that there is something for everyone. I only had my first visit to any of their six parks this year, and was like them(seeing it as overpriced and not really my thing) until I experienced it first hand. I think sometimes you have to just show people that Disney isn't just one thing for them to change their mind. When I was a travel agent, I did the Disney training, and one of the things I remember they emphasized in it was that Disney doesn't just target families, but also singles, couples, and multi-generational trips. Just some thoughts on how to end the arguments.

The way I see it, there are two types of people in this world. Those who don't get it and those who still believe in the magic. You are the latter, and your families are in the former. The problem really comes down to that most adults still think of Disney in terms as a place for kids. Their image is based only on Magic Kingdom. Why not plan a trip with your families for the Food & Wine Festival with some visits to the other parks. Show them that there is something for everyone. I only had my first visit to any of their six parks this year, and was like them(seeing it as overpriced and not really my thing) until I experienced it first hand. I think sometimes you have to just show people that Disney isn't just one thing for them to change their mind. When I was a travel agent, I did the Disney training, and one of the things I remember they emphasized in it was that Disney doesn't just target families, but also singles, couples, and multi-generational trips. Just some thoughts on how to end the arguments.

We are getting married there next year, and it turned into a giant family vacation, so this is our hope!

My fiance's family was just there for a day on a Disney Cruise and told me they don't understand how I liked it so much... like how much can you get done in a few hours?! Hopefully I can sway them to my way :)

We are getting married there next year, and it turned into a giant family vacation, so this is our hope!

My fiance's family was just there for a day on a Disney Cruise and told me they don't understand how I liked it so much... like how much can you get done in a few hours?! Hopefully I can sway them to my way :)

Plan things to do that show the adult side. They were likely only visiting Magic Kingdom(which is what most people think of first), from the sounds of it, and that may not have been the right park for them. Epcot and Animal Kingdom may be better options.

There is a good chance we will remain a child free couple after we get married. It's a long story as to our reasons why, but that's not for here.

We have recently decided that we will be buying DVC (probably after we get married just to avoid all the name change stuff). Our families are already annoyed at the fact that we won't be having children, but it's so annoying to hear them complain about our Disney trips and getting married there. I have been told to "grow up" more times than I can count.

For those without children (at this moment or forever)- do you always feel yourself justifying Disney as your vacation place of choice? How do you respond?
It's not for them to complain about your vacation and parenting choices, but they might be understandably unhappy at the prospect of having to pay travel expenses to attend a wedding at Disney World, if they don't live in the area.

Families feel the need to attend the weddings of their loved ones, and when the wedding is held far away, forcing them to spend money and vacation time to travel to a destination they aren't interested in, that can cause friction. Have you thought about having your wedding closer to them, and then honeymooning at Disney?

Last edited:
It's not for them to complain about your vacation and parenting choices, but they might be understandably perplexed at the prospect of having to pay a lot of travel expenses to attend your wedding, if they don't live in the area. Families feel the need to attend the weddings of their loved ones, and when the wedding is held far away forcing them to travel to a destination they aren't interested in, that can cause friction. Have you thought about having your wedding closer to them, and then honeymooning at Disney?

Yeah, destination weddings always seem to have that problem, no matter whether it is Disney, Hawaii, or the Caribbean(or anywhere else). Nicolej92, another alternative that would have Disney touches is a wedding on a Disney cruise, but it is your wedding so you have to make your own choices here. Groups for cruises start at 8 cabins I believe, and hotels are usually 8 rooms or more. You may be able to help with finding discounts by using a travel agent to help you find group space. It is one of the keys for a destination wedding, and you will want to find someone who specializes in these kinds of events.

Do your thing. If Disney is what you love and is the place you want to get married, then go for it. It's not about their happiness, it's about yours. If they choose not to share in the celebration of marriage with you in Disney, then that's another issue on a completely different level that isn't Disney related.

We do have kids, and also need to "justify" our plans to go again, both with family and friends. Some people just don't get it.

It is your wedding, your choices; mousehockey37 is correct; it's not about their happiness, it's about yours. Being criticized by in-laws/parents needs to be both carefully handled, and handled now. I do understand that this is my opinion, and may not work for your situation - only you know what will work for you. The following is only a recommendation.

You both need to separately tell your respective families that their naysaying is hurtful to you both; you have made your decisions as a couple, and their negative comments will only make you feel as if you don't want to spend time around them. You hope that they are supportive of you and your choices in this foundation building time in your marriage, and you hope that they will be a positive influence when they witness your vows. Disney World is a positive place for the two of you, and it must remain so.

You definitely do not want to let this drag on, as it gives them permission to continue their criticism in this and in other areas of your lives.

Doing this now will either work, and they will realize that you are adults and a couple who makes their own decisions, or it won't, and they will continue to criticize. If the latter is the case, you may wish to have just the two of you get married and have a great honeymoon at Disney World, and have a small reception at home. You will have your own wonderful memories, and no one will be able to criticize on your special day.

We do have kids, although now they are 22 and 24,lol. We have been going to Disney since our honeymoon. We go every year, and made every other trip,with and without the kids. We bought into DVC several years ago, which has proven to be perfect for us! Our family, and also a lot of our friends, do not understand Disney at all! Over the years, we have tried to explain it. We have even taken several friends and family members with us, to show them how wonderful it is. I must say, this doesn't work, and just causes stress for us, trying to make the perfect trip for them, and playing tour guide the whole trip. I must say that now we have given up, and stopped trying!! We are never going to change their minds, and honestly, why should we care? It's "our thing", not theirs. We could care less what other people do on their vacations, why do they care about ours so much? I have always found that to be the strangest thing! I'm sorry you are worrying about this, when you should only be focused on your wedding! My advice to you, is not to even waste your time trying to convert non-believers. It won't work, and will only stress you out! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!

What I tell people is:
Whoever pays the piper calls the music.
:rockband: :charac2: :mic: :music:
If your family wants you to go on a vacation and they are willing to pay for it, go and have a great time on them. If you are paying for the trip you go where and when you choose to go.

As a childless 40 year old woman I know what you are going through. It is unbelievable how often I have been told by people being condescending "I will change my mind ones I get older" this was in my twenties, "You should hurry up and have kids before it is too late" in my thirties, and now " aren't you sad you have no kids, no one will care for you when you are old".
I ignore this for the most part but it can be hurtful.
As for loving Disney, I just say it is my Happy Place and that I totally understand it is not for everyone.Trying to explain it to people is pointless as they have preconceived ideas and just not worth the effort.
I do agree that a destination wedding at Disney might be a big ask for a lot of people, especially if they have never been. It might also stress you out as you have to worry about everyone having a good time. Maybe rethink your plans on that score. As for staying childless, that is no one's business but your own.
As a side note, my mom is a lot happier about it now because, unlike my siblings who had kids, I have time and money to spend with her.

Sure. We're not childless, but our "children" are grown and gone. They were already grown and gone when we joined DVC. For us, WDW is the most restful, clean, beautiful vacation. Lots of times, I go solo and it's always the safest (there are lots of other places I wouldn't dream of going solo).

Our son was not quite an adult when we bought DVC, but he certainly is now.

When people question why we go, I explain that I don't like to fly, and my husband can't cruise. That leaves driving. And that leaves Disney or the beach.

Yes, there are people that like to go to the beach every. Single. Summer. But that isn't me.

What I like to do is to go to Disney.

If we pay for it, why would it bother anyone else?

Hell -- I've got two daughters under the age of 4 and I still find myself having to justify going to Disney. hahaha.

When I respond to their weird looks, I just channel my inner Starlord. :rotfl:

2o3EtbH.gif

I bought DVC while single and taking care of an elderly parent. It was my place to escape. Plus I loved WDW. I made my first trip shortly before my financial situation took a nose dive. I wanted to go back for over a decade. So once I could afford to go (via DVC) I was all on it. WDW was something that I'd pined after for a decade or two - so then it became my go to place.

My DH is not crazy about Disney, but will do anything to make me happy.

We are a married couple in our early 30s and bought into DVC last year. People may not understand why we choose to go to Disney every year and that's their problem. As a PP said, people either get it or they don't and that is fine with me. At this time, we do not have any kids and are still undecided as to whether we will or not. Disney is our happy place and we gladly travel there every year. It also helps that in our 20s and our younger years, we were able to travel around the country and the world so we got that out of our systems.

I'm 37, single, with no plans to get married or have kids anytime soon (likely ever). Weirdly, the only complaint I ever hear from my family about my frequent trips to Disney World is that I don't bring them along enough. My parents are pretty supportive of my WDW habit -- and like it when I go because they live about an hour from the parks, so it's convenient for me to visit them -- and most of my friends are fellow co-workers, and no one here is ever going to say that someone is going to WDW too often.

I bought in to DVC two years ago because I knew I'd want to go back to the parks multiple times per year, and this way my CM discount helps with one trip and my DVC membership covers the other one. Plus, if something wildly changes in my life, whether from an employment or significant other standpoint, I'm covered.

Oh, and congrats on the Disney wedding. When I was at GF a couple years ago I saw a few different wedding parties and they all looked amazing. I'm sure you'll have a magical experience.

In the words of Walt, Growing old is mandatory, growing up is a choice. Choosing whether to grow up is your choice. I grew up, then later decided not to. More fun to not grow up.

How you (the collective you) live your life is your choice, not anyone else's to make. Make the choices that make you happy.

We got married later in life and decided not to have children either. But we are both love going to Disney. We did our honeymoon at WDW. About a year later we bought into DVC. WDW isn't for everyone. We took my parents with us one year. It was OK, but they have no desire to return. Everyone has the types of vacations that they like. Some people love cruising. Some people love camping. Some people love the beach. Some people love Disney.

I agree with a PP that you need to nip this in the bud with them, or it will continue on. They may never understand your love for Disney (or the other decisions that you have made), but they need to be respectful of your decisions.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!! It would be so amazing to get married at WDW. I know our honeymoon was amazing!

They will get used to it. You have to be patient. The first time I went to Disney solo, I got a lot of raised eyebrows and people wondering why I would do that. I talked about how great it was to go solo, and what a good time I had. Now, when I haven't seen people in awhile, they ask me if I've been to Disney lately and seem genuinely interested. There may be some who never get it, but you just have to ignore them. Don't be upset that they don't get it. Who cares what they think?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts