Child free and DVC?

There is a good chance we will remain a child free couple after we get married. It's a long story as to our reasons why, but that's not for here.

We have recently decided that we will be buying DVC (probably after we get married just to avoid all the name change stuff). Our families are already annoyed at the fact that we won't be having children, but it's so annoying to hear them complain about our Disney trips and getting married there. I have been told to "grow up" more times than I can count.

For those without children (at this moment or forever)- do you always feel yourself justifying Disney as your vacation place of choice? How do you respond?

Having grown up in SoCal visiting Disneyland was a common thing and although it faded for a while it never really left me but now I've been devoted to all things Disney for the past 10 years. I'm single, a DVC owner and an avid Disney Cruiser and for a long time my family used to complain about my Disney trips but now they understand that my Disney trips are what make me happy. Yeah, sometimes I have to deal with the occasional joke from a family member but secretly they all wish they where like me and living the dream. Heck it's me they all come running to when they want to plan a Disney trip. I'm sure you having to justify your Disney trips will fade.

brought DVC back in 1993 - so yea it has been great for me. Never will have kids - mental problems run in the family and did not want to feel guilty about bring a child into the world who could not adjust easily. I have too many problems myself.

Right now living about an hour to 90 minutes from WDW - so it is great! Still love DVC and do use it - although not as often or for as long as I did when I lived in Ala. Now when WDW is a day trip.

for your situation it is your decision. think people who have kids so they can be there when THEY need them are selfish and might be in for a big surprise. Mother was. She though my older brother would help her - well he refused. He had not of excuse why he couldn't - but he was retired and did not want to be bothered. So I took care of her - believe you don't want to do that.

DVC was a great deal when I brought - now could not afford it. So plan your budget well.
I agree with above about considering getting married closer to home. It will save your money (which you can use to buy more DVC points).

oh those relatives who say DVC is a waste money - will be bugging you in a few years to go with you or on their own (using your points) - believe me.

Last edited:
I am a 64 year old youngster. My wife is 63 and just as young at heart as I am. We are constantly besieged by our friends "Why do you go to Disney every year? When are you going to grow up?" To which I answer, NEVER. I have to age, I have to pay my bills, obey the laws, go to work, be responsible, cut my grass, wash the windows, get the oil changed. Yes, I am a responsible adult but when I want to take a week off, I go to WDW for the simple reason that it brings my carefree childhood back to me. We go down and immerse ourselves into the Disney Culture. We dance in the streets, go to character meals, go on all the rides, sit on the curb to watch the parades. I am a responsible, mature adult but I refuse to give up that spark of childhood when life was so wonderful. As for destination weddings. Yes they can be an expense to others but I found a way to embrace it. My Niece had a destination wedding at Jacksonville, Florida three years ago. We live in Michigan. We spent a second week that year at Disney and drove to the wedding for the day. As for child free. We have been going to WDW since 2009 without any children or grandchildren and it has been the best vacations ever. Don't ever give up your dreams. Don't ever give up your youth.

As MunnziMom said -- set your boundaries now. You are allowing people who have no say to "control" how you should explain the next N years of your lives. Nip this in the bud. You are an adult - set your boundaries and act like one. No one should be telling you anything at this point other than how happy they are for you.
Signed,
Been There, Done That
Paid the Therapy Bills

First off it's your life. I spent twenty years in the Army. I told allot of folks it is not for everyone. I will be 66 this year and I guess I have not grown up. My wife and I go every chance we can. DVC is the way to go. Buy as many points as you can as cheap as you can. I wish I had done it allot sooner in my life. We go for allot of short trips. We live close and not in Florida. Not all at DVC resorts but we have three more trips planned this year. One at a value resort and two at DVC resorts. It seems like allot of money but it's worth it. What's wrong with going to Disney World. Great Food , Great times and just a great place to go.

DH and I have been DVC members since 2010. I am currently pregnant with our first child - due in November.

I get grief all the time about our "Disney addiction" and just honestly ignore it. We love Disney World. We love the magic, the customer service, and the experience. We've traveled to multiple different countries and are quite fortunate to have been able to enjoy so much but I'd choose Disney over any trip, any day.

You do you. Ignore everyone else.

DH and I are childless except for our precious four-legged daughter Trinity ( Jack Russell). We purchased DVC in 2009. We never really got the "why do you go to WDW so much?" but do often get " what do you do when you get there". My response has been "whatever we want". Three or four years ago it was watching Alaska State Troopers on Nat Geo...dang that show was addictive that trip for some reason. I will get a twinkle in my eye and always say you don't know Disney until you have done an adult only trip. My parents went with us the year before we purchased in 2008 and we stayed at Pop. They had a good time but after we purchased DVC and then offered them a studio it was Katie bar the door!! I just let them know their turn is coming when we host the same for my MIL. No one complains about DVC, NO ONE!! They hop on the plane or in the car ready to go. It is just such a lovely experience. The resorts, the food, the foliage, the nice CMs...who doesn't want to be spoiled. They have Grandchildren and even a great grandchild through our siblings and are happy. My parents are with my brother for a month in Europe--and his four youngest kids. I mean just because we did not have children doesn't diminish the fact they are loved. DH and I enjoy spoiling our parents. Many people get joy when they see their kids enjoying Disney for me it is seeing it in my parents. Last trip this past May was the evening we shared at Morimoto...they LOVED it and still talk about that as one of the best meals they had ever had....and then seeing their faces the first time they saw a giraffe off the balcony at AKV...I mean what's not to love.

Life changes as you travel through it. This last trip my Mom was in a WC for the first time....no way in hell was she going to miss Disney. We made some necessary adjustments and off we went. On that trip she mentioned my brother wanting them to travel to Europe...go please go...she got a scooter and off they went on their next adventure. DH and I still work. He hopes to retire in April. At 48, I don't worry about not having children anymore and actually if truth be known am a little relieved ( world is crazy). People just don't ask those questions any more about kids....but they do ask me to help them plan their trip to WDW.

My reasons for going to Disney have evolved over the past 4 decades. I loved my first visit to WDW in 1980 long before there was anything but Magic Kingdom. I grew up up in horrible poverty where there was never an extra dollar for a non-essential. I never really got to be a child. I got to experience the childhood I never had.

I loved being able to finally be carefree and enjoy the freedom of just having fun - not worrying about "how do we survive". Then my life imploded (crash of the oil industry), and I could not go back for many, many years. When the universe righted itself I actually got to go to Orlando on business 7 times in one year (from San Francisco) and several other times. I got addicted.

When I took early retirement in my 50s to take care of elderly parents, WDW became my escape place. That's when I bought my first DVC contract. It was sort of a no brainer when the cost per point was so low. WDW became my refuge. I bought some more as the points were less than $100 back then.

After both my parents were gone I met a wonderful man. He indulges my every whim - but he's not a big WDW fan. I was thinking about selling some of my points - especially my BLT contract.

But I am now very mobility challenged. I've traveled all over the world - multiple times all over Asia, the South Pacific, and Europe. Those days are now over very abruptly. But now I love going to WDW not to reclaim my childhood, but to be enabled in my declining years. I love knowing that I can have access to just about anything. I can fly in and get transportation to the resort. I can go to any restaurant. I do not have to spend a lot of time worrying about how I am going to get from point A to point B.

At home I went to a restaurant that was recently remodeled. It never crossed my mind that they would not have an accessible entry - but they didn't. I managed to work it out - but it was difficult I am going to a 40 year college reunion this fall. Two events are at private homes. I now have to deal with "can I manage to get in the door"? I may not be able to ride every ride at WDW - but I know I can always get into restaurants, etc.

So now I love our trips to WDW - not because I can be a child again (although that is still there a little bit) but because I can go there as an old disabled person.

Husband and I have been married 16 years, no kids. Got married at Disney, are currently Disney Passholders (we moved from KC, MO to Orlando as husband now works for Universal), have been DVC members for a decade now. MASSIVE Disney fans. My family... not so much, they don't get it at all. You know what? I don't really care (I still love them...). You have to do what YOU love, that is what is important. That's why I don't have kids, I never really had any undying desire to have kids, and from what I have figured.. you better want to have kids to have them.

I love our DVC. We bought originally to stay in studios... and we still do sometimes, but we can get a 1 bedroom and have a really rather luxurious vacation at Disney World (and yes even if it's still 20 mins down the road... it's the same, minus the airplane ride). We can also invite friends and get a 2 bedroom like we are doing this coming January for marathon weekend. I have certainly made some mistakes in my life when it comes to monetary decisions... DVC wasn't one of them.

Call it egotistical, but it seems so basic... you only get one life, and there are no do overs, (unless you're Hindu then I guess you have unlimited do overs), live the life you want, not what others want for you and have fun doing it.

Jennifer

There is a good chance we will remain a child free couple after we get married. It's a long story as to our reasons why, but that's not for here.

We have recently decided that we will be buying DVC (probably after we get married just to avoid all the name change stuff). Our families are already annoyed at the fact that we won't be having children, but it's so annoying to hear them complain about our Disney trips and getting married there. I have been told to "grow up" more times than I can count.

For those without children (at this moment or forever)- do you always feel yourself justifying Disney as your vacation place of choice? How do you respond?

I plan to remain child free forever, I'm only 25 now, but I am offended when people assume I can't possibly know what I want at this age. Luckily, my family are all DisNerds and they understand me (we are a DVC family). But I do encounter people in my life who don't get it. I tell them that the customer service at Disney is supreme. Every other theme park feels dirty and cheap to me after being spoiled on Disney growing up. I am used to being treated a certain way as a guest and I'll pay a premium for it I've had more fun going to Disney as an adult than I even did as a child. It's a great place to relax and enjoy a vacation that you've earned, and that's not limited to families with children. My aunt and uncle are DVC owners and they have no children. They use it to go with friends and for us to have big family vacations. If people give you grief, tell them to buzz off and go to six flags. :P

So glad I found this thread...we made the decision early not to have kids either ( married in our early 20's back in 2001 )...we have had the talk before and have heard the same statements as what was posted above .."When you having , why not etc. etc" all the way to now. And since 2005 we have been visiting Disney almost once a year too almost 2 times a year..lol...we don't live close either. But the adventure of leaving home to fly down and be immersed into the Disney experience is a Zen moment for us. We have our go to's ( Dole whip and Pirates on Day 1..a must!) Going when it is "least" crowded makes for magical times for us...event, dinners and no major waits. All possible without kids and we don't regret it.
Enjoy YOUR life and enjoy YOUR time, don't let someone influence you on something you may not want. Be at peace with yourself, have the adult conversations no matter how uncomfortable they may be. But Disney is the place to let go, enjoy and be a kid inside and out, no matter what age!

We have been debating the DVC for some time now, so I am really interested with the whole DVC topic. Anyone please pass along any information for a Kid-less couple and DVC and the benefits! haha

So glad I found this thread...we made the decision early not to have kids either ( married in our early 20's back in 2001 )...we have had the talk before and have heard the same statements as what was posted above .."When you having , why not etc. etc" all the way to now. And since 2005 we have been visiting Disney almost once a year too almost 2 times a year..lol...we don't live close either. But the adventure of leaving home to fly down and be immersed into the Disney experience is a Zen moment for us. We have our go to's ( Dole whip and Pirates on Day 1..a must!) Going when it is "least" crowded makes for magical times for us...event, dinners and no major waits. All possible without kids and we don't regret it.
Enjoy YOUR life and enjoy YOUR time, don't let someone influence you on something you may not want. Be at peace with yourself, have the adult conversations no matter how uncomfortable they may be. But Disney is the place to let go, enjoy and be a kid inside and out, no matter what age!

We have been debating the DVC for some time now, so I am really interested with the whole DVC topic. Anyone please pass along any information for a Kid-less couple and DVC and the benefits! haha

DVC isn't geared towards families per se. You basically just need to ask yourself:
  • Are you're comfortable with going to Disney at least every other year
  • Would you normally stay in deluxe accommodations
  • Can you plan your trips 7-11 months in advance, and
  • Can you afford to pay for the points out of pocket with cash (>$15,000)
If you answer yes to all four questions, then DVC will make a lot of sense.

Well, maybe not exactly the person you had in mind replying, but this is our story!!

We have three grown children and 4 grands. Dh & I love Disney and go quite frequently - much more enjoyable to us alone than when we had our children with us even though we 'thought' that was the best time!! :-)

People 'assume' that surely we are going now just to take the 'Grands' there!! Nope, we are going for ourselves - WHAT? :eek: They are shocked!! We don't bother to justify our trips to anyone. Some people actually do think Disney is just for the 'littles' - not - just the young at heart! Those are mostly the people that have never even been there, but they 'know' all about it!

DVC does not have the value to us (we have our motorhome that goes 'anywhere') but if that's what you two want, don't let anyone tell you that you won't/cant enjoy it without children. :)

For my dirty 30 birthday trip I choose Disney World. It was a year after a turned 30 since I had my oldest 2 days prior to my 30th birthday.

I asked my parents to watch our son for a few days so we could go down to the house of mouse. My own husband said I am giving a trip to anywhere for the most part and he thought I was crazy for Disney. I will say I think going that trip it did start to change his mind cause he could see how Disney is for kids now that we had a son at the time.

My parents are in their 60's and still go WITHOUT us kids or the grandkids.

My explanation to people is i like to still act like a kid when I don't have my kids and sure there are plenty of places to go w/out kids and act like a kid but Disney is just magic. I honestly can't wait to do another kidless trip but I know it will be a while.

My husband is military and we are about to have a deployment....my husband gets 2 weeks of vacation prior to the deployment. My mom just asked me what our plan is....well we are probably going to take a Disney trip. We don't want to be sad, we want to be happy we don't want to have time to think during that time of what is going to happen. We don't want family hounding us and to go back to his family is very stressful as it since we live in FL and his family is in the PACWEST.

So ROCK ON and never growing up. In the words of the peter pan musical.....I won't grow up

Your relatives or whoever are rude. You don't have to justify your choices about where you like to vacation to anybody.

I'm single, always have been, and I've owned DVC for 15 years. Because I like Disney. If I'm asked, why Disney, I don't have to respond by saying anything other than I like Disney. So I like Disney...other folks might like the beach or golf resorts or camping. My brother likes camping. Sometimes I ask him to justify why he likes camping when there isn't a bathroom.

Whether you are single, married, have young children, have grown children, doesn't make much difference when you are considering DVC. What you need to consider is, do you like Disney enough to vacation there relatively often for the upcoming years, do you want to stay onsite, would you like to stay in deluxe resorts? If you go enough, your membership will pay for itself, but you'll need to want to go.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!