Child is sick too often! (update post 214)

mefordis

If you can dream it, you can do it.
My 9 year old seems to be sick quite a lot lately. This Saturday she vomited half the day, then the next day was better, now this morning vomiting again.

I"m beside myself! She has complained of nausea in school this past week, too. I am taking her to the dr today but anyone have a kid that throws up out of nowhere, no fever or other symptoms?

Thanks.

My daughter just had a similar experience. She was feeling run down, too, but she's in the middle of the high school musical and was exhausted, so feeling lousy may have had more to do with that than the stomach bug. She's just now starting to feel back to normal. Hope your daughter feels better soon!

Thanks for sharing. Should I be worried that it's something serious? She's feeling nauseous every other day, with a stomach pain then throwing up more than once, then is okay for the next couple of days. What could this be, I wonder?

My son had almost a full 6 months of random vommiting. Doctor said nothing was wrong and it eventually stopped. But to be sure I would get her checked for the flu or even ear infections. They might put her in some meds to tackle anything it can be.

My son had almost a full 6 months of random vommiting. Doctor said nothing was wrong and it eventually stopped. But to be sure I would get her checked for the flu or even ear infections. They might put her in some meds to tackle anything it can be.

Thank you. Do you think I should get a complete blood count? Maybe test her for allergies? I always worry about the worst, too, like cancer, diabetes, etc. My mind just runs wild I am such a worrier.

Has this only been going on for the week? Just trying to figure it out from your first post.

Has this only been going on for the week? Just trying to figure it out from your first post.

She threw up on Saturday, for half the day, then was better. Now she is throwing up this morning. Also, a few weeks ago she threw up in school. No fever. I'm a nervous wreck over this. Bad stomach ache, throws up a few times, gets better then a few days later it all happens again.

:(

So two things come to mind:

1. Eating something that she is reacting to (causes bad stomach ache, then vomiting).
2. Acid reflux/indigestion for whatever reason causing mild gastritis that would cause the nausea/vomiting.

Easy for me to say, but I don't think this is something to be a wreck over, but definitely worth a discussion with the doctor.

Thank you. Do you think I should get a complete blood count? Maybe test her for allergies? I always worry about the worst, too, like cancer, diabetes, etc. My mind just runs wild I am such a worrier.
I would let the doctor do what he wants no need to worry about such things. Just keep some flat ginger ale and crackers on hand and be carfull of car sickness.

So two things come to mind:

1. Eating something that she is reacting to (causes bad stomach ache, then vomiting).
2. Acid reflux/indigestion for whatever reason causing mild gastritis that would cause the nausea/vomiting.

Easy for me to say, but I don't think this is something to be a wreck over, but definitely worth a discussion with the doctor.

God bless you! Thanks you so much for helping me feel better (everyone in this thread, thanks!) I lost a sister to cancer - she was just 13 and I have very high anxiety when it comes to illness with my kids. I know all mom and dads do but I always think of the worst case scenario.

She threw up on Saturday, for half the day, then was better. Now she is throwing up this morning. Also, a few weeks ago she threw up in school. No fever. I'm a nervous wreck over this. Bad stomach ache, throws up a few times, gets better then a few days later it all happens again.

:(
Yup been there.. lots of sleepless nights and we still worry while driving long distances with him. His warning was always.. I gotta pee.. but really he was gonna throw up. Dont stress to much she will notice and start to worry and it will make it worse

In addition to everyone else's thoughts does she have post nasal drip at all? The drainage into the stomach can irritate the stomach and make some have an upset stomach and even vomiting.

Also a thought, is she stressed or have any anxiety at all? Stress can cause upset stomach, vomiting among much more. Everyone reacts different to stress. Maybe talk to her to see if anything personal may be bothering her.

Good luck, please keep us posted and I hope she feels better soon!

In addition to everyone else's thoughts does she have post nasal drip at all? The drainage into the stomach can irritate the stomach and make some have an upset stomach and even vomiting.

Also a thought, is she stressed or have any anxiety at all? Stress can cause upset stomach, vomiting among much more. Everyone reacts different to stress. Maybe talk to her to see if anything personal may be bothering her.

Good luck, please keep us posted and I hope she feels better soon!

Yes, she has had post nasal definitely. Had a cold a while ago and yeah, I thought it was that over the weekend but the fact that it comes and goes, not sure.

Here's something: she likes to play with slime. I wonder if that's any connection. It's glue, borax, water, and fragrance.

She doesn't just throw up once, or twice but several times before she is done, I'd like to add.

I would follow the advice here for trying to mitigate nausea (crackers, always something in the stomach, etc) and I would keep notes on the days she vomits and other symptoms she has. That way you'll have something to show the doctor if it continues. But honestly, it's too soon to identify this as any sort of trend. Go rule out an ear infection and move on (for now..... but keep notes). Some kids are just heavers.

I'm not clear whether this is a relatively recent development or a recurring issue over a longer period of time. If it's the latter, a friend's daughter went through this through elementary school & missed a lot of days. With no cause discovered it was suspected that she was trying to get out of school. Eventually in MS the absences became more and more problematic and her parents pushed very hard for answers because their daughter was showing signs of obvious frustration with the situation and they became more and more convinced she wasn't trying to get out of school. A diagnosis of Celiac's and adjustments in her diet opened up a new world for her rather quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!