Child is sick too often! (update post 214)

Because all of the doctors I asked (several) assured me that it's harmless. And she loves it. It's her #1 hobby so I want to be sure this is actually harmful before I pull it out from under her completely. So, I will have her take a break from it for two weeks and see what happens.

Did you inform the doctors on how much she actually had handled this (since Sept)? Because if you did and after all her symptoms and sickness they said she was fine doing the slime why would you then still be concerned? Just curious. :)

Did you inform the doctors on how much she actually had handled this (since Sept)? Because if you did and after all her symptoms and sickness they said she was fine doing the slime why would you then still be concerned? Just curious. :)

Because I know that they don't know everything. They didn't ask me exactly what she was playing with (fragrances, where I got them, etc.) and it is chemicals. They might just be thinking glue, diluted borax. The scents are what I'm worried about most.

How much slime is she making that she's selling it on Etsy?!! That isn't a hobby, it's a business. Is she wearing a mask and gloves and in a well ventilated room?

It's been a week since OP said she would take a 2 week break from the slime. I'm curious if the symptoms have subsided - update OP?

Side note:
For people who have kids with sensitive skin but still want to make slime, this has worked for us-
Contact solution instead of Borax, non-toxic school glue(we think the gel kind works best), maybe some mix-ins like glitter or beads, and sensitive skin shaving cream for "fluffy" slime.
***and no fragrances

We've done the same. DD has very sensitive skin and seasonal eczema, and the borax recipe is a hard NO because it causes rashes almost immediately. She doesn't seem to mind being "limited" to a safer recipe. And I do let DD add a bit of essential oil if she wants to play with fragrance. I have a ton of perfume oils from a hippie-organic company that I've been buying from for years, and since I know DD doesn't react to them as perfumes I figure they're safe enough for the slime.

It's been a week since OP said she would take a 2 week break from the slime. I'm curious if the symptoms have subsided - update OP?

OP, I, too, was just thinking of your DD today. How is she doing.......is the ban from this borax "slime" working??

I'm hoping your daughter is ok but I have to admit I feel like this thread is like the poster child for webMD. I held off on commenting to see if anything came about of it but I've honestly lost track of what was the probable cause. Last I had originally seen is it was a virus but then it jumped to something else and now it's borax and/or fragrances.

I do mean this with absolute respect but your daughter is 9 years old and you had a concern about her working with chemicals (regardless of it being borax or fragrances) and you wished it would stop. Even if your child wasn't sick if they are working with something that concerns you, at that age, just take the items away or provide the alternative that other ingredients need to be used in order to continue working with them. Plus you said this had been going on since September so I'm honestly surprised that you hadn't halted her hobby earlier given your level of concern.

I have no idea if the borax or fragrances had anything to do with her illness though.

From Missouri Poison Center. Bolded the interesting portion.

http://missouripoisoncenter.org/homemade-slime-safe/

There is actually more risk of becoming ill when borax is encountered day after day, either by ingestion or getting in through damaged skin. Symptoms of too much borax getting into the body are stomach upset, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, rarely headache, lethargy, irritability, and restlessness. The most dramatic evidence of too much borax is skin redness, often called a “boiled lobster” rash. Afterwards, the red skin peels off, especially on the palms and soles.

Just bumping to see how your DD is doing, Mefordis. Hopefully no news from you is good news! :hug:

Thank you so much! She is doing great and starting the spring soccer season tomorrow. I am working on calming myself down and being less worried about illnesses. It is a challenge for me since it is my #1 worry (which I am sure other people share this as well).

Now the medical bills are coming in but you know what? I am happily paying them (what is not covered by insurance, which will probably total approx $8500 .) I am just so grateful that everyone is healthy right now. They took such good care of her in the hospital I could not have asked for better care. It was Goryeb Children's Hospital, fyi. They really are top notch.

Thank you so much for asking! :)

So two things come to mind:

1. Eating something that she is reacting to (causes bad stomach ache, then vomiting).
2. Acid reflux/indigestion for whatever reason causing mild gastritis that would cause the nausea/vomiting.

Easy for me to say, but I don't think this is something to be a wreck over, but definitely worth a discussion with the doctor.
I'm sorry your daughter is going through this. Please consider anxiety as a source of the problem.

I'm sorry your daughter is going through this. Please consider anxiety as a source of the problem.

This was a few weeks ago and she was diagnosed with a viral infection and Toxic synovitis. She has been treated and is back to normal.

This was a few weeks ago and she was diagnosed with a viral infection and Toxic synovitis. She has been treated and is back to normal.
So sorry, I figured out a few minutes ago that I came to this conversation late.
I am so glad your daughter is back to normal & this is behind you.
Have a great 2018 :)

Thank you so much! She is doing great and starting the spring soccer season tomorrow. I am working on calming myself down and being less worried about illnesses. It is a challenge for me since it is my #1 worry (which I am sure other people share this as well).

Now the medical bills are coming in but you know what? I am happily paying them (what is not covered by insurance, which will probably total approx $8500 .) I am just so grateful that everyone is healthy right now. They took such good care of her in the hospital I could not have asked for better care. It was Goryeb Children's Hospital, fyi. They really are top notch.

Thank you so much for asking! :)

Appreciate the update. Glad she's doing well. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter