China adventure

Does anyone remember (know) how much the pictures are that you can have taken by the 'official' disney photographers in disneyland hong kong? I know I will want to have a few of them to take home and I was wondering about how much to budget for it.:3dglasses

Hi All!
I just read an article that for some reason people in China are blocked from accessing Blogger inside China. The article didn't give an exact reason, but mentioned the 20th anniversary of Tienanmen Square on June 4. It could be interesting for anyone in China during the anniversary.

We are getting so excited about the trip. Our daughters have decided that during some of our free time in China they want to get a "make-over" and have their hair cut. I told them we have no idea how to tell someone to cut their hair, but the girls think it would be great to come home with a new look. (At least we will have the summer to let it grow out if it looks bad! :rotfl:)

Could be interesting!

Oh my gosh, only a little over a week until we leave! I am trying not to focus too much on the trip and enjoy Amanda's last few days of high school. Its going by in such a blur!

Siliobear, I plan on doing laundry at least three times during our trip. I am packing band-aids, Tylenol, Advil, sore throat drops, Claritin, Neosporin, Immodium, Pepto-Bismol, sun screen and bug spray. What I am taking to wear: 3 pairs of capris, 1 pair of long pants (to wear on the long flights to and from China), 5 short sleeve or sleeveless tops and 2 sundresses. Shoes: 1 pair of beige (walking) sandals, 1 pair of black (walking) sandals, 1 pair of tennis shoes and 1 pair of nice black sandals. I will be packing a small umbrella, flashlight, reading materials and reading glasses, power converter, Powersquid (power strip), digital camera, net book computer, sunglasses and hat. That's off the top of my head. If anyone else can add anything, let me know. I don't usually put my clothes in the dryer, I hang them to dry. I have bought some things for the trip a little large so that if I have them laundered and they are put in the dryer, they won't shrink to doll size.

figmentfan2009, you can purchase a CD at the end of the trip with all of the pictures for a set price. We did this at Christmas and it was cheaper to buy the entire CD than to purchase a few of the pictures separately.

2GirlsMama, I hope we can access the Dis while we are there. I had hoped to post a real time trip report. That is so cute about your DD's. They may come home with a very unique souvenir and a very special memory if they go through with the haircuts!

BriarRose...will you be able to hook a powerstrip to a converter and get multiple outlets from one converter?

There is an Aveda salon in Kowloon. I hear that it comes highly recommended. You can get to Kowloon on the first day in HK.

Briar Rose, congratulations to Amanda! I hope she enjoys her graduation and the end of high school and is looking forward to college! What an exciting time for your family. I look forward to reading any posts you are able to make!

Pandafan, thanks for the salon recommendation. I think it will be an interesting experience if they are brave enough to go through with it! My youngest daughter has a beautiful thick head of hair. Her hair grows really fast. Our oldest daughter could really be stuck because she has fine, thin hair which grows s l o w l y!

I am glad they are embracing the experience so much. It is a constant topic of discussion and planning. I think that is a big part of the fun. Planning and wondering about what we will see.

smores, yes, I did this when I was in Europe earlier this year. I used one converter and plugged a power strip into it. I have a 3 prong power strip and had a hard time finding a converter that would take 3 prong plugs. I finally found one at Brookstone.

2GirlsMama, thanks! It is an exciting time and a very hectic one!

We received our backpacks today for the July 26th Advenutre. While we were excited before, now we're completely insane! Can't wait to meet the others who are going then. We'll be the ones with 3 boys (and we'll probably be telling at least 2 of them to stop fighting).

Ours came yesterday too. On the eve of leaving for WDW so DS can go to Star Wars Weekend again this year... so I get to carry one of my backpacks with me there.

Incidentally... we will be the ones with a 6 foot tall teenage boy who dresses in black t-shirt and black jeans (he loves history, reading and getting people to notice him) and an ALMOST 5 foot tall teenager girl (the fun thing to poke her with is that she is 4'11 3/4'' per her DR on her camp physical) who is all tom-boy. They fight frequently too... more of sarcastic remarks setting off arguments... I will be the nut case with camera and computer taking thousands of pictures (which I will post on shutterfly if anyone wants copies) and writing about everything...

I'm excited about THIS trip right now (WDW) because I get to spend an inordinate amount of time in Epcot in China... (and Germany and Italy looking at stuff for this year's China trip and next year's Germany trip... and future Italy trip... DH loves to plan ahead and has the next couple years tentatively planned out).

:surfweb:
FigmentFan

our back packs arrived too!

monydave...how old are your kids? mine will be fighting too (girl 12, boy 5 1/2).

can hardly wait! have to figure out how much money to bring...are tips to guides paid in us dollars? (seemed that way on info i was given)

Smores,
My boys are 12, 9, and 6. And last time we paid the tip in American dollars. Can't wait to meet you guys.

Monydave

We paid our ABD guide (that was home based out of the US) with US dollars. Our other ABD guide (that was home based in China) was paid with yuan (China currency - yuan or rmb). We felt that paying each guide with their home based currency made it less of a hassle for them to enjoy their reward.

BriarRose, thanks for the packing tips. We must think alike...my draft was almost identical to yours but you had a few great additions. I'm trying to pack light (HAH!) to make room for all the souvenirs I plan to buy. Some items on my list: hand sanitizer, travel roll of TP (Target sells this), bath soap (I read somewhere Chinese soaps can be weird). For fun, we might bring binoculars and a pedometer. I also have stuff to combat the heat - cooling neckerchief, water mister, handheld fan. I'm also packing a photocopy of our passports and visa.

To everyone else, thanks for your tips. All duly noted.

If people are willing to share their photo albums, that would be great! I too love to take photos. If you'd like to see mine, send me your email via PM, as I use Kodak Gallery, which is by invitation only.

BTW, our family consists of my DH, DS-21, DS-15, my mom and myself. We may be easy to spot in our group as we're all Chinese. DH and mom have been to some parts of China before, but it'll be the first time for the rest of us (although we've been to HK, incl HKDL, before). Any other *senior* travelers? My mom (80+) may not be up to the more strenuous walks and would welcome some company if she decides to sit out on part of the tours.

There is a news story today about the mayor of New Orleans being quarantined in Beijing because someone on the plane he was in was exhibiting symptoms of the swine flu. He and his wife do not have any symptoms, but he is being quarantined anyway. Man, that would be a big disappointment after flying so far.

Now that is another thing to worry about...

I heard all incoming flights to Asia were subject to temperature checks upon disembarking. Anyone who had a fever then got tested for swine flu. If positive, they quarantine the entire flight to be on the safe side. I'm bringing Airborne, wet-wipe towels and Tylenol on my flight. I checked with ABD in case our flight was delayed (or if we miss our connector) and she said the guide will track our flight. Otherwise we can always call them if delayed.

Konnichiwa! Hello from Tokyo Disney! Our trip is going well so far so I wanted to pop in and say "hi!" while we were in the room for a break. When we landed in Tokyo, we had to fill out a quarantine information form answering questions such as if we had a fever, runny nose or body aches. They also asked if we had taken any cold medication or aspirin, tylenol, etc. I expected everyone to be in masks here, but that is not the case. We have seen very few people wearing them. We have been extra careful about washing our hands and all of the bathrooms at the parks have hand sanitizer in addition to soap and water. I was hoping the flu problem would have died down by the time we went on to China this Sunday, but I guess its not to be. We will just have to be careful and hope for the best. I'll try to post more often when we arrive in China.

Please say hello to Daisy for us (from Mary, Lisa, Amy, and Wayne) if she is one of your ABD guides. Daisy is the best!!! I know you will enjoy this trip very much. Have fun!!!

Hi Briar Rose!
I hope you enjoy every minute you are on your fabulous adventure! Have a great time!

Leah

hello briar rose - hope you are over the jet lag and having a great time in Tokyo - will hold my questions for now - so excited for you guys!!!

Hello everyone! We are in Beijing! I have started a new thread with a daily trip report if you are interested. We are off to breakfast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter