Choosing a Point and Shoot

polkadotladybug

Addicted to ebay!
A friend just asked about camera suggestions and I thought I would ask the experts - y'all! I have a Canon S3 IS which has a nice zoom, but I do think it's a step up size wise from a compact camera (it was a big change carrying it at WDW last month - it's not a big honking dslr, but it's definitely bigger than a regular p&s).

What P&S cameras have a nice optical zoom? How high do they get before you get to the larger size models (the bridge cameras)? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I have a Canon SD700 (superceded by the SD850) which has a 140mm 35mm equivalent zoom (4x compared to the almost ubiquitous 105mm 3x zoom).

I think there is a small compact with 5x (170mm equivalent) zoom out there but I forget who makes it.

Digital camera hints: http://www.cockam.com/digicam.htm

Last edited:
I think the Panasonic TZ series has the longest zoom(at least 10x) for a pocket camera.

They also have the LZ series which has a 6x zoom and can be had for about $140.

Also both lines have optical image stabilization.

We have had a Canon Powershot S1 IS since sometime in late 2003 ( I do believe.) It has given up the ghost. We need to purchase a new camera and am overwhelmed by the choices. We want a point and shoot, no DSLR.
Here is what we mainly use it for:
Kids
Holidays, Special Events
Sporting Events
Vacations

Here is what we are looking for specifically:
Great zoom.
Rapid shot sequence.
Fast image capture.
Lightweight.
Wide shot (nice, but not a must have)

Please tell me what you think we should invest in. Thanks!

Great zoom.
Rapid shot sequence.
Fast image capture.
Lightweight.

Most important question = Whats your budget?

I'm a fan of the PowerShot line, but all of the major brands are great, including Nikon, Panasonic, Sony, etc.

Note that zoom on a point-and-shoot (P&S) is always going to be poor at best.

Our budget is $200-$300.
By "great zoom" I mean a 15-20X digital zoom.

Do you mean digital or actually optical?
Optical is the important one. Photos using a digital zoom do not give the best results.

Another words a camera may give you an optical zoom spec and then also a digital zoom spec. The optical zoom is the important one.

We want a point and shoot, no DSLR.
Great zoom.
Rapid shot sequence.
Fast image capture.
Lightweight.

IMO if you want to get those type of features you are going to need a DSLR.

Nikon L100

Canon S1X

Both of these are on sale at various office warehouse places this week (199.00).

All of the super zoom p and s in your price range are about the same. The taking pictures rapidly seems to be your main want. Point and shoots aren't really known for that type of ability.

There is a new Casio out but it is about twice what you want to spend that takes pictures very rapidly. However, you are basically choosing frames from a film and the clarity isn't always the best.

We use the L100 and it covers all of these features very well. My daughter does horseback riding and we can get great shots and they are definitely going fast. The sport mode allows for 20 continuous shots in a couple seconds, with the only downside is that it drops to 3MP for speed. Generally we have found that with the great zoom factor, we still end up with fantastic shots using this mode. I can be 100 yards away and still have close up shots of the girls going over jumps that are super detailed.

Check out the Fuji S1500, or any of the Fuji's in that line really. See if they fit you. My daughter has the older S1000 and it's a very impressive little point and shoot with great zoom, fast response times and good (for a point and shoot) low light performance.

Check out also the Sony HX1, which was released last year (shops should still have them in stock - they were $399ish new, maybe on sale cheaper now) - it has a 20x zoom from 28mm to 560mm optically...it can shoot at 10 frames per second at full resolution...it has slightly improved high ISO performance than other small sensor cams, but more importantly has a special 6-frame stacking mode for low light shooting that will be significantly better than most P&S models...it's very fast, very light, decent battery life, 1080p video, and a decent 3" LCD that can be flipped up or down for angle shots.

For something more pocketable, you'd have to give up some zoom...the newer HX5V ($350ish) is a slim camera that is pocketable, with a 10x zoom starting from a wide 25mm and out to 250mm optically. It shares the same sensor and features of the HX1, adding an HDR mode in camera, even better video capability, built in GPS tagging, but loses the flip LCD since the camera is designed as a slimmer P&S. The HX5V also takes either Sony MS Duo cards or SD cards (The HX1 takes MS Duo only).

Also consider the Panasonic GS7 ($375ish) - similar to the Sony HX5v, with similar video and GPS ability, though without the low light stacking modes. The latest Panasonics have been pretty decent at higher ISOs.

I figured this was the place to come for advice on our next camera. I am not looking for anything fancy, I'm just an average mom, I use the camera mostly for pictures of the kids and pictures on vacations, day trips, etc.

We had a Canon Powershot A540 that unfortunately, was dropped and broke the digital screen on the back.

For our next camera DH would like a better zoom (ours was only 4X). He also likes a small, portable camera. The thing that bothered me with our old camera (and maybe all digital, I don't know), is the second or so lag time between pushing the button and it actually taking the picture. I would always miss a good moment because of that little lag time. And when it comes to price I don't think we could really go over $300.

So is there a camera out there that would fit our needs? I am camera illiterate so any help you could give me would be so appreciated :goodvibes!

Thank you!

We have used alot of sony point and shoot cameras at the office. I still like the old DSC-T1. But for point and shoots, I think they are a good brand to look at.

Personally, I would stay away from HP, Kodak and anything under $100. Olympus is Okay, not thrilled about them. Nikon is good once you get out of the cheap range (I have a pair of S220's which were $120 each that are pretty crappy, but have some cool time lapse photography features) and I love my Canon DC10, which is great, but may be over priced, it's completely water proof though which is it's main selling point.

Also, we have one of the Samsung dual view cameras, the ones with the LCD screen on the front. Works fine outside, definately not a good indoor camera. Definately not something I would purchase again - but does fill a small nitch, my daughter loves it to take pictures of herself and her friends.

I was just going to post the same question! Hope you don't mind if I join in...

We have a Canon Rebel that we love but it is big and heavy and we want something we can keep in a pocket or fannypack for ease in traveling and leave the Rebel back at the resort.

And I have the same need as you...a camera that doesn't have a long delay.
With little kids I have to be able to snap fast, otherwise they move and I get a blur.

Anyone like the Nikon Coolpix?

My husband has a Nikon CoolPix. It's really not a good camera at all.

My daughter has a Fuji S1000. the current model is the S2500. It's a great little point and shoot with a lot of zoom and great light sensitivity (for a point and shoot). There is no noticeable shutter lag (that delay between pushing the button and the camera taking the picture) but then most cameras today don't have issues with shutter lag like they did a few years ago. Anyway, it might have what you're looking for, it might not.

The Canon Powershot SD3500 is one I've played with recently... it's also a slick little point and shoot that's more of a pocket camera than the Fuji I mentioned is. I was pretty impressed with what it does for a pocket camera.

I do suggest going to the store and checking out the actual size of the cameras, especially since that was listed in what you wanted. Many look larger in the pictures than they actually are.

Don't know much about them. I am just looking for a small camera that takes wonderful photo's. I have a Dslr and would like to have a P&S when I can't bring the Dslr.(concerts) Can you show me some photo's you've taken with what type and model camera. I'm trying if possible to keep price low but it's not to important. (under $250?)

Thanks in advance:hippie:

It depends on the features you want. My older point-and-shoot is a Casio, which has a fast shutter and takes great macros, but has problems with stability (I've had to send it in twice to be repaired). My newer Pentax Optio W60 (which I bought for Antarctica, but never actually put in the water) is waterproof and takes good pictures, but is fairly slow. One thing I've noticed with all of my point-and-shoots is that they don't capture purples well.

Wow, thanks. Anyone else? I would like to get this P&S for DD who is 14 for here 15th Bday. (some how broke her last too:lmao:) Nice quality but simple for her to understand and hope she don't break it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!