Choosing a Point and Shoot

Congratulations! What awesome news and I think that "nemo" is perfect until the baby comes...so cute!

love, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the idea for the announcement and the "Finding Nemo" thing.

Congratulations you guys!:dancer:

Oh, and did I mention that I love the ideas?

Any suggestiongs? I don't want to spend much.we have an old one that uses some type of tape. I never ever look at the videos. But my daughter's band will be marching in Epcot in a few months and I want it taped!
Plus she starts HS diving and I think that would be fun to video.
So any ideas? I would like it around $300 or less.

Congrats

For $199 or so you can get an HTC EVO it takes great photos for point and shoot not to mention a cell phone. :cool1: Its small and fun to play with. I borrowed it from my brother for a few minutes and took a few of my dd at the pool since I'm too chicken to bring my SLR to the pool. Got a couple good videos of her jumping off the diving board too that I normally don't get since I don't have a video cam. Too hot and water oh my not to mention I'd have to mess with a locker and key. NOPE

I really loved my Nikon p&s it was the P2 model(several years ago) but don't think its around anymore. I really want to invest in a Canon D10 for the waterproof capabilities and as a carry around pocket camera and to catch the occasional video. ;)

Thanks so much for all the kind wishes (and camera suggestions :) )! We're super excited and I know Golf4food can't wait to have a new photography subject in the house! :teeth:

Congratulations!!! Great news and a novel way to share it! :thumbsup2
Here's to Nemo...;)

Looking for some feed back on a new camera. We are looking to buy a Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS5 or 7. If a member has an thoughts on these camera's i would be appreciated. I know that the 7 has gps and thought that would be good for Europe or Asian travel. We currently have two older model of Olympus that have been good but have heard good review about the Panasonic's. thank you:dance3:

Sorry- i tried to post as a new thread but my computer was acting up- i didnt mean to post on your thread!!

Well, I feel a little funny writing on this board since I am by no means a photographer!!! However, I do spend all my time taking photos of my son and I am looking for a new camera. I currently have a Pentax Optio, which is waterproof. We bought it almost 5 years ago so I think it is outdated and needs to be replaced. Reasons that I loved that camera were:
1. it was waterproof so i could take photos of my son in the pool, at a water park, in the rain, and i never once worried about it getting wet or not working.
2. the rechargable battery- as long as i charged it every nite of my vacation- it would last the whole day

Here are the reasons that it needs to be replaced:
1. the battery no longer holds the charge as good as it used to
2. it is soooooo slow taking photos- i dont remember it being so slow when i first got it- i think it has gotten slower over time!! My son smiles and by the time the photo is taken, he is across the room! i feel like i am missing those "picture perfect moments" waiting for my camera to take the pic
3. the zoom is terrible. i am not sure what the zoom is since the camera is older- but it doesnt zoom very well and take blurry photos. there must be better quality out there now

I have researched for weeks now and cannot make a decision. We are going away in a week and i want to have a new camera by then. I have read review after review. I thought about getting Canon d10 but i am afraid of the odd shape, since i often put my camera in my pocket (guess i couild change my ways!) I have also thought about getting 2 cameras- both a waterproof and regular but i am afraid that carrying 2 cameras would be too chaotic. So now i thought i would just ask the pros!!

Can anybody recommend a good camera for an amateur? My main wants are that it takes nice clear and crisp photos, and that it takes photos quickly. I would like a camera with a good zoom feature- and ideally i LOVE my waterproof (but a non-waterproof camera is not a deal-breaker). Originally, i wanted a camera that would take good nightime photos of when we went to Disney for fireworks- but i have a feeling i am not going to find a camera with everything! I really dont want to spend more than $400 and dont want to have to carry a bulky camera around. Anyone have any suggestions?:confused:

I'm in the market for a point and shoot, so I'm just subscribing to this thread so I can read it when I get home from work.

Hello all!

It looks like no one has posted in this thread since 12/10, so here's hoping someone sees this and replies. :goodvibes

I'm looking for a decent P&S camera to take to WDW. We already have a Nikon D60, but I would like to update my old Sony P&S. I've narrowed it down to three and would like some opinions:

Nikon Coolpix S4100 14MP

Cannon A2200 14.1MP

Sony Cyber Shot 14.1MP

I've done a bit of research but I would really like to see if someone has used any of these in the "field." I'll be honest, I am leaning more towards the Nikon only because I have it's big brother, but if someone can give their opinions, I'll be very grateful.

TIA!

^Not sure which Cybershot you're referencing, but I like a few of them.

I am a Nikon DSLR user, and I have NEVER found a Nikon P&S that I've liked.

My recommendation, if you can swing it, is the Canon S95. All of my P&S reviews are here: http://www.disneytouristblog.com/best-point-and-shoot-camera-reviews/

Thanks Figment! The S95 is out of my price range, since we've got the Nikon DSLR, I really just want something that will take a decent picture when I don't want to lug around the DSLR. I'm headed to check out your blog now!

I recently bought the S95 and I hate it!! My pictures are dull and blury...wish I knew what on Earth I am doing wrong! If anyone can help, PLEASE....

I recently bought the S95 and I hate it!! My pictures are dull and blury...wish I knew what on Earth I am doing wrong! If anyone can help, PLEASE....

The s95 really shines because of it's sensor size, flexibility (RAW), and manual control. Chances are, if you're the type of shooter who just leaves it in AUTO, then you're probably better off with the SDxxx series. I usually recommend the Canon SD series (or even budget A series) to people who truly need a point-n-click.

As for blurry, 2 things;
1) watch your shutter speed. AUTO won't choose a good shutter speed if the flash is disabled.
2) Make sure you half-press the trigger to focus BEFORE you fully press it down. A lot of people don't pre-focus, and just fully press the trigger. The camera can't focus fast enough quite often and will just look like a blur (but really it's out-of-focus).

Dull:
Shoot RAW and get a good editing program. It's fun to play around and bring your photos back to life.
Here's one quick and dirty example. The "blur in the people is because of the slow shutter (1/30).

Before
687EE76D4430414A8CF812170A3E3D10.jpg

After some HDR processing
2E14F90968F54179AB7E8CEF92F90305.jpg

The s95 really shines because of it's sensor size, flexibility (RAW), and manual control. Chances are, if you're the type of shooter who just leaves it in AUTO, then you're probably better off with the SDxxx series. I usually recooemd the Canon SD series to (or even budget A series) to people who truly need a point-n-click.

As for blurry, 2 things;
1) watch your shutter speed. AUTO won't choose a good shutter speed if the flash is disabled.
2) Make sure you half-press the trigger to focus BEFORE you fully press it down. A lot of people don't pre-focus, and just fully press the trigger. The camera can't focus fast enough quite often and will just look like a blur (but really it's out-of-focus).

I am pre-focusing, and they are still blury. I guess you are right about Auto. I had a Canon SD880 before and just LOVED it. Do you know what the best SD is now? Thanks!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!