Choosing points to use from different accounts

aokeefe

There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
I have 3 accounts (all same UY) and will be making a 7 month booking soon. I have been playing around on the dvc site and I want to take a certain amount of points from each contract but it seems whatever contract I pick first, it will take all the available points first and then move on to the 2nd contract. Is this correct? I would prefer to make the reservation online rather than call but I wanted to see if anyone had advice on how to do it online. Thanks.

I'm not an expert, I also have 3 different use years, and I haven't been able to figure out any way to do it online. Maybe someone else will have an idea? But what I do suggest is just call Member Services and have them do it for you.

There's no way to tell it a specific amount of points to take. Even calling you'd have to get a CM who was willing to ask a supervisor to do some sort of journal entry to do that - it would not be an automatic thing for the CM either.

I have 2 memberships (2 different use years) with one having 2 contracts. I assume your question is about 3 contracts in the same membership.

If that's the case, the only times I've been able to designate points from each of my contract to complete one reservation is when I call MS. Some have had no problem performing this while others have informed me that it can't be done. Either way, I haven't been able to do it online.

I'd be interested also if someone has found a way...perhaps the updated new system allows this???

Just wanted to add that you could link the reservations. I think this is more work than it's worth, but it is possible to do it online. You can book one part with the contract you want to use and do that for the other 2 parts and then email MS to link them. But again, calling will likely be easier.

Last edited:

I'm not an expert, I also have 3 different use years, and I haven't been able to figure out any way to do it online. Maybe someone else will have an idea? But what I do suggest is just call Member Services and have them do it for you.

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding your post. But it appears that you said that you cannot find a way to do it using your 3 different use years...Do you mean 3 different memberships? If this is the case, you could make a transfer of the set amount you want from one membership to another and do it that way. You just need to pay close attention to when you can make the transfer and the UY it will go into. I'm quite limited in my window of transferring between my 2 memberships so if I really needed to use points from both memberships, I just book 2 separate reservations and request them to be linked. Since I would prefer not to do this, I tend not to book using 2 memberships.

Last edited:
I have 3 accounts (all same UY) and will be making a 7 month booking soon. I have been playing around on the dvc site and I want to take a certain amount of points from each contract but it seems whatever contract I pick first, it will take all the available points first and then move on to the 2nd contract. Is this correct? I would prefer to make the reservation online rather than call but I wanted to see if anyone had advice on how to do it online. Thanks.

I did just think of another way you could set aside points should you really want to - book a dummy reservation that uses the number of points you want to save. Then when you select the contract it will use the remaining points for the new reservation. Finally go back and cancel the dummy reservation that held the remainder of the points for you.

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding your post. But it appears that you said that you cannot find a way to do it using your 3 different use years...Do you mean 3 different memberships? If this is the case, you could make a transfer of the set amount you want from one membership to another and do it that way. You just need to pay close attention to when you can make the transfer and the UY it will go into. I'm quite limited in my window of transferring between my 2 memberships so if I really needed to use points from both memberships, I just book 2 separate reservations and request them to be linked. Since I would prefer not to do this, I tend not to book using 2 memberships.

Once you transfer your points from one of your accounts to your other account, have you been able to bank them after the banking deadline. That seems to be available when you transfer points between accounts of different people. Transferred points can be banked up until the end of the used year.

I did just think of another way you could set aside points should you really want to - book a dummy reservation that uses the number of points you want to save. Then when you select the contract it will use the remaining points for the new reservation. Finally go back and cancel the dummy reservation that held the remainder of the points for you.
Thanks! I did make it work- I made a reservation for 2 days for 54 points (I wanted to use 53 banked points). I was ok pulling 1 point from that contract. I will then make a reservation for the remaining 2 days with the other contract. I'm booking a 1 bedroom at HH for April so there is plenty of availability.

I had a reservation that had been booked within the zero to 7 month window, using points from one of my contracts/accounts. I wanted to change the points and pay for it with points from a different contract/account.

I called member services today to see if they could switch it over and pay for the points from my other contract. They said that the only way they could do it would be to cancel it and rebook it. when they checked, the system did not have any unbooked rooms for those days, at the current time. So, if I canceled it to rebook it I would lose it because someone’s waitlist would pick it up. I ended up needing to keep the original points on the reservation.

I had a reservation that had been booked within the zero to 7 month window, using points from one of my contracts/accounts. I wanted to change the points and pay for it with points from a different contract/account.

I called member services today to see if they could switch it over and pay for the points from my other contract. They said that the only way they could do it would be to cancel it and rebook it. when they checked, the system did not have any unbooked rooms for those days, at the current time. So, if I canceled it to rebook it I would lose it because someone’s waitlist would pick it up. I ended up needing to keep the original points on the reservation.

You are talking about a different membership if I understand correctly and yes, it's always been that way.

If the points were eligible to be transferred then they should have been able to do that and then reallocate the points.

So it would have required actual transfer. I didn’t kmow that. I learn things every day. But in the end I didn’t make the transfer, since I would have lost the reservation in trying to rebook it .

That is OK. It was more a matter of convenience than necessity. Luckily, I can easily work around it.

Once you transfer your points from one of your accounts to your other account, have you been able to bank them after the banking deadline. That seems to be available when you transfer points between accounts of different people. Transferred points can be banked up until the end of the used year.

Sorry, I don't have the answer. I've been a member for over 16yrs and have never transferred between my memberships. Honestly, I didn't want to have an issue like I had earlier in my membership with points allocation.

However, I was not aware that the banking rules are different for Transferred points. The rules for banking transferred points are that it keeps the banking deadline of the original points. For example, if I transfer my Feb UY points to your Apr UY points, the points transferred into your Apr UY will have a banking deadline of the Feb UY. In some cases the original points transferred may have a deadline which is past the UY of where it is being transferred and therefore it appears that you are able to bank up to the end of the UY...sorry, I'm not sure if I'm explaining this correctly. I hope I didn't confuse you even more...

So it would have required actual transfer. I didn’t kmow that. I learn things every day. But in the end I didn’t make the transfer, since I would have lost the reservation in trying to rebook it .

That is OK. It was more a matter of convenience than necessity. Luckily, I can easily work around it.

As the pp mentioned, because it's a different membership, you can't just move the points. If you want to use both memberships, you could book some with one and the rest with the other and ask them to link them. That's the way I have done it. I don't do it often because with some resorts (AKV specifically), they have never been able to keep my reservation linked. So, I just bank and borrow with one membership to make one constant reservation.

I just made a similar reservation, but I also used transferred points from my Sept contract into my Dec contract and borrowed points from the Dec contract. I called MS to make this reservation. If you are worried about losing the reservation waiting the hour until MS opens, just use the number of points you need from one of the contracts for a few nights. Then call MS and ask them to add the nights to make the entire reservation.

Key is memberships, not contracts. If you have several contracts, but all with same UY, even if different resorts, there is no transferring required and using different points, based on home resort of those points, and booking timeframe to try and do what OP wanted...pick from different contracts.

However, if you have different memberships, which is different UY, then the only way to combine points is a transfer. Once a reservation is made on one membership, it can not be transferred to another membership, even if the owner is the same. It is why the reservation has to be canceled and re-booked. Each membership stands alone, even when owned by the same person. I have 3 memberships (June, Aug & Dec UY) so when I book, I have to be creative in what and how I use points!

With transferring the points then they should have been able to reallocate without requiring a cancel and rebooking. Without a transfer is what would have required the cancel and rebooking. But to transfer the points have to be meet the eligibility to be transferred (current points) and to reallocate then if it was booked in the 11-7 month window it has to be the same home resort or if after 7 months then it could be any resort. And the transferred points have to fit the timeframe to be used for the dates of the reservation. But, if the points from the other UY would qualify to be used then they shouldn't have had to cancel and risk losing the reservation.

Thanks! I did make it work- I made a reservation for 2 days for 54 points (I wanted to use 53 banked points). I was ok pulling 1 point from that contract. I will then make a reservation for the remaining 2 days with the other contract. I'm booking a 1 bedroom at HH for April so there is plenty of availability.
Well my plan backfired- went on this morning at 8:01 to add the additional 2 nights for a 1 bd at HH- and it wasn't available. Lesson learned to be on right at 8:00 for even when I "think" it will be no problem booking. I did book a 2 bd to at least have the nights booked and waitlisted the 1 bd. I think we are going to switch to the 2 bd rather than have to switch rooms- which in the end is better for my family. Who would have thought that 1 bedrooms would go faster than 2 bedrooms!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!