Choosing to stay during a mandatory evacuation

I did just that when I lived in a hurricane area and a storm was heading our way. I grabbed a bag and left. If my stuff got destroyed or stolen I would have replaced it. Nothing was irreplaceable but I wasn't risking my life even with a chance it was hitting where I was. Had I had a pet at the time I would have brought it with me.

It wasn't a hard decision, I saw the storm was heading my way and a few days out I headed north until it was clear.

If you can't afford a vet then no, you shouldn't have a pet. Beyond shots there are the yearly checkup, blood work to test for parasites like heart worm, regular flea and heart worm treatment and so on.

One of our rescues ended up testing positive for heart worm even though he tested negative at the shelter and we medicated him starting immediately. Having him treated for it wasn't cheap but it was a no-brainer to do it. We would never not treat our pets when needed.

This is all part of having a pet in my opinion. Just like you should not have a vehicle if you can't afford gas and insurance you shouldn't have a pet if you can afford all that goes with it. The cost if anything isn't just the cost of acquring that thing, it is all the upkeep that comes with it.
So what about the the scenario I presented of someone who found the pet that would otherwise be left on the street? That’s a very common thing is some areas.

That would have been ds’s problem during Katrina. Well not his but anyone he worked with that was in the evacuation area. They had to go through NOLA to get to work so couldn’t go early. There was no choice but to wait until after. And hard to leave during and chance not being able to get there. The rig wasn’t in the hurricane area, they just had to go through the area to get there. It was a hard decision for some of the guys.

Of course it wasn’t long after they went to work they had to come in because of Rita.
Same here. I used to be considered essential personnel & had to be available to work in a special needs shelter if opened during or after the storm. I had to stay close enough to be able to make it to work if the shelter was opened. It was made known that if you failed to show up for your shift, you would be fired. Now, I would have still evacuated & just took my chances if the storm was bad enough. But, I could have survived if I had lost my job b/c of that decision. But, like the pp said, many ppl don’t have that luxury.

I did just that when I lived in a hurricane area and a storm was heading our way. I grabbed a bag and left. If my stuff got destroyed or stolen I would have replaced it. Nothing was irreplaceable but I wasn't risking my life even with a chance it was hitting where I was. Had I had a pet at the time I would have brought it with me.

It wasn't a hard decision, I saw the storm was heading my way and a few days out I headed north until it was clear.

If you can't afford a vet then no, you shouldn't have a pet. Beyond shots there are the yearly checkup, blood work to test for parasites like heart worm, regular flea and heart worm treatment and so on.

One of our rescues ended up testing positive for heart worm even though he tested negative at the shelter and we medicated him starting immediately. Having him treated for it wasn't cheap but it was a no-brainer to do it. We would never not treat our pets when needed.

This is all part of having a pet in my opinion. Just like you should not have a vehicle if you can't afford gas and insurance you shouldn't have a pet if you can afford all that goes with it. The cost if anything isn't just the cost of acquring that thing, it is all the upkeep that comes with it.
I’m curious what your advice to those with kids in school would be? Since most districts don’t cancel school until the last minute. Then usually back in the day after. Less than two weeks back, hurricane Gordon landed and school simply let out early on Tuesday and skipped Wednesday, I had no power either day, not a significant storm but it was coming in as a Cat 1 hurricane so should I have left Monday and let my kids miss school for the whole week?

So what about the the scenario I presented of someone who found the pet that would otherwise be left on the street? That’s a very common thing is some areas.

If you can't afford to care for a pet you can't afford to have a pet. Doesn't matter how you get it. A pet is a financial commitment for the life of the pet. We rescue but we commit to the cost of care for the life of our pets. So far that has included a heart worm treatment and two major surgeries due to one dog needing two liver surgeries for tumors.

If you can't afford to care for a pet you can't afford to have a pet. Doesn't matter how you get it. A pet is a financial commitment for the life of the pet. We rescue but we commit to the cost of care for the life of our pets. So far that has included a heart worm treatment and two major surgeries due to one dog needing two liver surgeries for tumors.
Then let’s say someone decides to feed a starving animal left abandoned. Have they adopted the animal? What if circumstances change and they can no longer care for the pet that they didn’t seek out, just felt compassion for an abandoned animal. Are you OK with the animal being killed/euthanized? Because that’s the option most often. Not sure if you live in the city or an unincorporated area, but a lot of us get our pets by simply finding them abandoned in the ditch.

I think there should be a federal law that companies should be fined if they interfere with an employee's ability to evacuate during a mandatory evacuation. If an employee is determined to be essential personnel the employer should be required to provide them with the following: food, water, safe shelter, toiletries, communication with family, and transportation. If the employee has to be evacuated after the employer makes them stay then the employer has to arrange for the evacuation. If the employee is harmed as a result of being made to stay, the employer is held liable. These rules would not apply to public emergency personnel such as police, firefighters, etc. Those who fall under such a designation should have their own guidelines.

So that animal is better off dead? Believe me, I have spent thousands on pets so I get that. But, I can also appreciate that there are ppl who care for strays as best they can. It’s not practical to think that all of them can be rescued. If brought to a shelter or left on the street they would likely be killed. It’s not ideal but it’s the best choice under those circumstances.

I’m curious what your advice to those with kids in school would be? Since most districts don’t cancel school until the last minute. Then usually back in the day after. Less than two weeks back, hurricane Gordon landed and school simply let out early on Tuesday and skipped Wednesday, I had no power either day, not a significant storm but it was coming in as a Cat 1 hurricane so should I have left Monday and let my kids miss school for the whole week?
Yep & over here we “prepared” for Gordon & school was out 2 days & it was the most beautiful weather we had in a while.

I wanted to weigh in on this, having recently survived Flo--we live ~10 miles from where she made landfall.

First off, I realize that, in this particular case, we had the (comparative) luxury of advance warning. Not every case has this, particularly with wildfires that shift with the winds. But, we knew the mandatory and voluntary evacuations on Mon. School was cancelled Tu-Fr, and remains closed (through next week). The storm hit Friday morning, but things got bad Th night. That's 3-4 days in which to pack up and find a location to go, plus a location for pets. There's no excuse for the pets being left behind. There were several shelters, including ones that allowed pets. FTR, we were under voluntary evacuation and chose to stay. One of DD15's friends was under mandatory evacuation--his family actually came to their grandmother's house in our neighborhood.

We had two evacuation places lined up, both of which would have taken our pets. We have relatives 3 and 6 hours out--I can't believe that people don't have friends or family or SOMETHING that they could reach out to, to help with pets. I know we would have taken in people/pets if asked.

Secondly, I know work can be a problem. Dh went in Wed. evening, and got home Tues. afternoon. His work literally chartered a ferry to get workers home. I was not thrilled to be home with the kids, without him, through 5 days of no power. But, his company did take good care of him, I have to give them credit (Duke Energy, BTW--he works at the nuclear power plant).

Third, how does one not know that they live in a danger zone? Is it really so shocking that beachfront property would be subject to gale-force winds and rain? Similarly, is it so surprising that a river might flood its banks? I completely recognize that, in this case, we're talking about a 100-year flood type of situation (the Cape Fear River crested at ~65 feet--flooding is at ~35 feet. Don't quote my numbers.) They were reporting for days that the storm would slow and dump massive amounts of rain. I feel sorry for the people who lost their homes, it's been truly devastating in some areas. But I also feel like, people should have had some clue. Again, this is different from an earthquake or tornado. Even wildfires--you have to have an idea that they're a possibility.

Obviously, some people are obstinate, or have valid reasons to stay--a farmer with horses, cattle, pigs isn't going to be able to up and move. The infirm can't just skip down the road to a shelter. On the good side, we had people helping, both before and after the storm, to minimize the loss of life. And that's the thing--there ARE resources, you just have to reach out for them.

Listen, I have two cats currently and over my life I have spent crazy $$$ on some procedures. While I believe you do make a commitment to care for your pet, I am not so sure everyone who has a pet needs to commit to all sorts of surgeries, chemo and all the other stuff vets convince you are for the benefit of the pet.

The number of people who would have pets would be severely limited based upon your definition of caring for a pet.

I don't think it is too hard to understand that there really are poor people in the world, not just the have to stay at the All-Star resorts instead of Port Orleans kind of poor.

I think there should be a federal law that companies should be fined if they interfere with an employee's ability to evacuate during a mandatory evacuation. If an employee is determined to be essential personnel the employer should be required to provide them with the following: food, water, safe shelter, toiletries, communication with family, and transportation. If the employee has to be evacuated after the employer makes them stay then the employer has to arrange for the evacuation. If the employee is harmed as a result of being made to stay, the employer is held liable. These rules would not apply to public emergency personnel such as police, firefighters, etc. Those who fall under such a designation should have their own guidelines.

I think it sounds very reasonable.

One Problem I see with laws regarding mandatory evacuations is that the areas placed under these ME’s are usually broad stroke areas. Their often is quite a big area that really isn’t going to be affected. Is the entire gulf coast suppose to simply shut down anytime a hurricane enters the gulf? Projections change and a day, two, or three days out you’ve already left for no reason at all.
Gordon just 2 weeks ago they had originally projected landfall in Louisiana 3 days out, then it actual made landfall over Dauphin Island(me) almost 100 miles farther east. Who should’ve evacuated? Everyone in south La, Ms, Al, and the Fl peninsula?

Listen, I have two cats currently and over my life I have spent crazy $$$ on some procedures. While I believe you do make a commitment to care for your pet, I am not so sure everyone who has a pet needs to commit to all sorts of surgeries, chemo and all the other stuff vets convince you are for the benefit of the pet.

The number of people who would have pets would be severely limited based upon your definition of caring for a pet.

I don't think it is too hard to understand that there really are poor people in the world, not just the have to stay at the All-Star resorts instead of Port Orleans kind of poor.

The lack of empathy behind that kind of thinking just floors me. Pets are one of the most enduring small joys that lower-income parents can give their kids. Cats are *always* available "free to good home", require minimal investment in routine care and feeding, and make excellent companions, and dogs are nearly as accessible. And I've seen first hand the importance they can have to kids who can't afford the latest video game console or to go see the movie everyone is talking about, and a pet can be a wonderful bit of stability for a child who has to move around often due to job losses/changes/foreclosures/evictions. To say that those families shouldn't own animals because they have to take the cheap route for vaccines and can't afford the "what if" of major surgery (or evacuation) just feels heartless to me.

And I think you nailed it when you say "stuff vets convince you are for the benefit of the pet." I think the trend towards doing so is largely absurd and driven by the feeling that pets are our "fur children", and are far more driven by our desire to keep our beloved animals around just a little longer than by any real concern for the well-being of the animal. We ended up changing vets after getting that attitude from the one we used to go to - he really pushed hard for us to agree to surgery to remove a tumor that was making it difficult for our mostly blind, arthritic 15yo Labrador retriever to breathe and got pretty judgmental, in front of my kids, when I asked about end-of-life options (which then led to a very upset then-8yo accusing me of just not wanting to spend the money to make Clifford better). When it was our younger dog that was ill, I didn't hesitate to pay for the scans and the biopsy and all of that to determine the best course of treatment, but major surgery on a dog that had already surpassed her breed's average life expectancy seemed cruel.

One Problem I see with laws regarding mandatory evacuations is that the areas placed under these ME’s are usually broad stroke areas. Their often is quite a big area that really isn’t going to be affected. Is the entire gulf coast suppose to simply shut down anytime a hurricane enters the gulf? Projections change and a day, two, or three days out you’ve already left for no reason at all.
Gordon just 2 weeks ago they had originally projected landfall in Louisiana 3 days out, then it actual made landfall over Dauphin Island(me) almost 100 miles farther east. Who should’ve evacuated? Everyone in south La, Ms, Al, and the Fl peninsula?
And like Rita, it’s possible you go the wrong way. Rita was supposed to go to Houston, ppl came to LA. It hit SW LA, so ppl went closer to it!

Very true.

Here is South Mississippi, there were parents calling for the closure of school wayyyy too early, in my opinion. And the officials after consulting with Civil Defense did call school off before we had a clue who would get the brunt. This storm was nothing big as far as storms go. As I've stated we are hurricane veterans going back generations and there's a certain amount of risk that we are willing to take. When the school was called off here, the storm was still too far out to say where in that 100 mile radius it would land.

My sister in law's school in Pensacola did not close at all for the storm and they had actual wind and rain. While my daughter sat home for 2 days in bright sunny weather with no wind or rain at all. The school board voted to make up one of the missed days on October 8th which was to be their fall holiday. We'd much rather have had that day off.

Officials are darned if they do and darned if they don't. Not easy call to make, and I think now alarms are raised too early.

The lack of empathy behind that kind of thinking just floors me. Pets are one of the most enduring small joys that lower-income parents can give their kids. Cats are *always* available "free to good home", require minimal investment in routine care and feeding, and make excellent companions, and dogs are nearly as accessible. And I've seen first hand the importance they can have to kids who can't afford the latest video game console or to go see the movie everyone is talking about, and a pet can be a wonderful bit of stability for a child who has to move around often due to job losses/changes/foreclosures/evictions. To say that those families shouldn't own animals because they have to take the cheap route for vaccines and can't afford the "what if" of major surgery (or evacuation) just feels heartless to me.

And I think you nailed it when you say "stuff vets convince you are for the benefit of the pet." I think the trend towards doing so is largely absurd and driven by the feeling that pets are our "fur children", and are far more driven by our desire to keep our beloved animals around just a little longer than by any real concern for the well-being of the animal. We ended up changing vets after getting that attitude from the one we used to go to - he really pushed hard for us to agree to surgery to remove a tumor that was making it difficult for our mostly blind, arthritic 15yo Labrador retriever to breathe and got pretty judgmental, in front of my kids, when I asked about end-of-life options (which then led to a very upset then-8yo accusing me of just not wanting to spend the money to make Clifford better). When it was our younger dog that was ill, I didn't hesitate to pay for the scans and the biopsy and all of that to determine the best course of treatment, but major surgery on a dog that had already surpassed her breed's average life expectancy seemed cruel.
The vaccine things itself is part of this. Sure pets need vaccines & facilities require them to protect the population they serve. All valid. But, pets don’t usually need all the vaccines offered as often as they are given. I worked in veterinary medicine & saw it on the inside. I do love & treat my pets like they are my other children...obviously not like I do my DS (but close), but a lot of that is just not necessary.

The vaccine things itself is part of this. Sure pets need vaccines & facilities require them to protect the population they serve. All valid. But, pets don’t usually need all the vaccines offered as often as they are given. I worked in veterinary medicine & saw it on the inside. I do love & treat my pets like they are my other children...obviously not like I do my DS (but close), but a lot of that is just not necessary.
What specific vaccinations are ones that shelters require in order to bring your pet during an evacuation do you feel is an unnessary one?

I said to have to board or bring them to a shelter they’re all valid to protect them & the other animals. Otherwise some are unnecessary & at very least most are required far too frequently.
Right I'm just relating to the PP's posts regarding what they perceived to be part of having a pet (which I don't fully agree with) and evacuations in regards to taking pets with you which seemed to spark the two PP's posts regarding pets which then sparked your comment.

I agree there are things that vets do that can be unnecessary; was trying to relate it in regards to an evacuation and a shelter requiring xyz.

I don't have enough knowledge here on the shelter's requirements but using WDW's Best Friends Pet Care they require-

Requirements for Dogs: DHPPv/DA2PPv, Rabies, and Bordetella. Both Canine Influenza vaccines (H3N2 and H3N8) are required for any dogs attending Day Camp and/or any group play. Also, there is a seven-day waiting period after the 2nd booster before they can attend Day Camp or group play. Day Camp must also have a clean fecal check every 6 months.

Requirements for Cats: FVRCP (Feline Rhinotracheitis Virus, Calicivirus, Panleukopenia) and Rabies

I'm assuming, and I may be assuming wrong so apologies if I am, that Best Friends Pet Care is more strict on their requirements (like the fecal check for example) than what shelters require during an evacuations but again I don't have the knowledge. Based on your knowledge is what Best Friends Pet Care requires less or more strict in comparison to what evacuation shelters require of at least dogs and cats? I was asking you in particular based on your background knowledge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter