Christine McCarthy confirms Disney Wish ship delayed

Oh wow. DCL just announced that they are suspending all sailings until AT LEAST December 6th, 2020 (some are suspended until December 12, 2020).

I've been checking in on the boards occasionally to see if there was any update on the Wish - at least Disney have finally said something. Here's hoping she's ready by 2023.

What do you suppose she means by "the long booking times" being a reason that cruises won't resume soon? Am dreading a situation where they do what they did for WDW dining reservations and say that because they can't control capacity and still honor everyone's bookings, they are going to cancel everyone's cruise reservations and make us all start over...

Don't forget that when they make you start over, the price will be much higher.

I've been checking in on the boards occasionally to see if there was any update on the Wish - at least Disney have finally said something. Here's hoping she's ready by 2023.

Anyone have further insight into Wish? I know it is all conjecture at this point but we were hoping to do a Thanksgiving 2022 cruise on the Wish (assuming she is out of a FL port). Not sure if that is still realistic or not? I know many on here follow the builds overseas and wanted to see if anyone has any scoop!

Anyone have further insight into Wish? I know it is all conjecture at this point but we were hoping to do a Thanksgiving 2022 cruise on the Wish (assuming she is out of a FL port). Not sure if that is still realistic or not? I know many on here follow the builds overseas and wanted to see if anyone has any scoop!
I am also curious about the progress of the Wish. In addition to considering trying to book an inaugural cruise on it, my wife and I are booked on an ABD river cruise next July that includes an excursion to the shipyard with a Disney Imagineer to see the Wish under construction.

I am also curious about the progress of the Wish. In addition to considering trying to book an inaugural cruise on it, my wife and I are booked on an ABD river cruise next July that includes an excursion to the shipyard with a Disney Imagineer to see the Wish under construction.
They're working on the Engine module in Meyer-Rostock shipyard, but they haven't even started cutting steel in Meyer-Werft shipyard yet, the other ships in the dock where the Wish will be built are still there, the AIDAcosma and Odyssey of the Sea are in Hall 6, about your ABD river cruise that includes a visit to the shipyard, until they lift the quarantining it's unlikely they'll proceed with that tour. But never say never, it might work out but not on the itinerary you have booked.

They're working on the Engine module in Meyer-Rostock shipyard, but they haven't even started cutting steel in Meyer-Werft shipyard yet, the other ships in the dock where the Wish will be built are still there, the AIDAcosma and Odyssey of the Sea are in Hall 6, about your ABD river cruise that includes a visit to the shipyard, until they lift the quarantining it's unlikely they'll proceed with that tour. But never say never, it might work out but not on the itinerary you have booked.
Yes, I have no clue if Europe will be open to US visitors next July. I haven't even looked into airfare until I have a better feeling on what the odds are on doing this cruise. We have 2 other DCL cruises before then. A January SWDAS cruise, which I expect will be cancelled by DCL, and a EBTA in May. No idea if that one will sail either

Yes, I have no clue if Europe will be open to US visitors next July. I haven't even looked into airfare until I have a better feeling on what the odds are on doing this cruise. We have 2 other DCL cruises before then. A January SWDAS cruise, which I expect will be cancelled by DCL, and a EBTA in May. No idea if that one will sail either

I feel you. We are booked on the first one in May, and I honestly don't see it happening... my fear is ABD will cancel the shipyard tour, but try to run the trip anyway. We mainly booked for the excursion (we'd do a river cruise sometime, but it wouldn't have been NOW without that carrot...) Things have certainly changed since we booked the tour in January.

I feel you. We are booked on the first one in May, and I honestly don't see it happening... my fear is ABD will cancel the shipyard tour, but try to run the trip anyway. We mainly booked for the excursion (we'd do a river cruise sometime, but it wouldn't have been NOW without that carrot...) Things have certainly changed since we booked the tour in January.
My wife and I booked this cruise because of the shipyard tour as well. I'm not sure why that would cancel that if the rest of the trip goes on. I would think we would be more socially distant doing a shipyard excursion than the other "regular" excursion they do.

My wife and I booked this cruise because of the shipyard tour as well. I'm not sure why that would cancel that if the rest of the trip goes on. I would think we would be more socially distant doing a shipyard excursion than the other "regular" excursion they do.

Disney is still a guest in their halls. It would be a question of what Meyer Werft is doing to protect their employees...they may not want tour groups coming through depending on how bad things still are. They may wish to keep tours out until things return to normal. Disney may also find a multi hour bus ride each way not distant enough either. I'm sure they were planning on all forty of us being on the same transport together...

This is all me just pondering - I'm a fretter by nature. We'll have to see how it goes!

Last edited:
Papenburg resident here. I'm not sure how the Disney tour is different from the regular Meyer Werft tour but the visitors centre at the shipyard has been open for tours at least up until last week. Obviously the situation can change quickly and the county of Emsland (which Papenburg is in) has seen a couple of new Covid outbreaks recently which means the German government has put the area into a slightly higher risk category over the weekend. Whether this will have any effect on the shipyard or the visitors centre I don't know.

Papenburg resident here. I'm not sure how the Disney tour is different from the regular Meyer Werft tour but the visitors centre at the shipyard has been open for tours at least up until last week. Obviously the situation can change quickly and the county of Emsland (which Papenburg is in) has seen a couple of new Covid outbreaks recently which means the German government has put the area into a slightly higher risk category over the weekend. Whether this will have any effect on the shipyard or the visitors centre I don't know.
Any chance you would be kind enough to send us a photo from time to time? I’ll take anything you can get your hands on, a new guy to turn bolts on the ship, seriously I mean anything. And pictures , oh would I love a picture!
I’m just kind of desperate for good cruise news.

Any chance you would be kind enough to send us a photo from time to time? I’ll take anything you can get your hands on, a new guy to turn bolts on the ship, seriously I mean anything. And pictures , oh would I love a picture!

That would be wonderful. Great thinking.

Of course an occasional photo will be no problem. Unfortunately most of the shipbuilding goes on behind closed doors in the building halls, but should still be able to see when they move some of the big blocks around outside.

I guess with today's release of early 2022 itineraries we now know Wish will not be out until earliest summer 2022 (unless they drop it in not in a scheduled release). Still hoping they have her run the current Dream itineraries and we can do Wish for Thanksgiving 2022. I guess the next release will give us more information as to whether that is possible :|

I guess with today's release of early 2022 itineraries we now know Wish will not be out until earliest summer 2022 (unless they drop it in not in a scheduled release). Still hoping they have her run the current Dream itineraries and we can do Wish for Thanksgiving 2022. I guess the next release will give us more information as to whether that is possible :|

It is on DCL's site that the Wish is currently planned to begin sailing Summer 2022.

Back when the Dream or Fantasy was being built, Disney arranged a special hard hat tour, where some lucky cruisers actually got to go into the hall, and on to the ship. It wasnt the normal walk thru tour. Thats iirc.

ETA: Found some pics from the Dreams Hard Hat Tour

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter