Christmas 2017

DS- His birthday is 2 weeks before Christmas and he will be 10:

Birthday-
North Face jacket - $120.99 (had $9 in Moosejaw rewards). I also earned 390 Southwest rapid rewards points with this purchase, and $3 more Moosejaw rewards
Ticket to Alabama concert in April 2018 $75
BB8 Lego set- $80 Walmart
Camo "hunting" gloves $15

Christmas:
Savage Youth Rascal 22 rifle $80 (after $50 mail in rebate- Dick's Black Friday sale steal!!) - the one thing he's been asking for all year long
Tommy Hilfiger jeans - $16.99 Macy's black friday sale
Tommy Hilfiger shirt- $14.99 Macy's black friday sale (combined with another item for myself I made $5.90 back in ebates on Macys purchase
Under Armour Real Tree camo hoodie $19 (thanks to my sister-in-law working for UA and getting a very nice discount)
Santa is bringing:
a kayak $148
Star Wars build a droid kit $100

In- Laws
Ozark Trail jumbo cooler bag $29 black Friday deal
Amazon Echo Dot $29.99 black Friday deal

Niece, 4:
Fingerling $15-- I got lucky and accidentally stumbled upon at Walmart when they had 3 left on shelf a while back
Disney gift cards for upcoming trip in 2018 - Free with Walmart gift cards from swagbucks!

My sister:
Disney Gift cards for upcoming trip in 2018- Free with Walmart giftcards from swagbucks and ibotta

Sister in law/long term boyfriend:
Ozark Trail jumbo cooler bag $29 black Friday deal

my Dad:
$39 electric fireplace heater $39 walmart black Friday deal

I haven't read to see if this has already been posted so I apologize idd it is a repeat but ancestry.com has their DNA kits for $59.99 through Monday.

Finished up my shopping yesterday. Still need to run to mall to pick up things there for my mom for my DD as mom can’t do that much walking anymore.

Decorating done
Wrapping done
Cards ready for mail

Might start baking next weekend.

Got my 2 nephews gifts this morning, so I am almost done!

Only items I have left to get:
- A few boxes of See's candies, for hostess gifts to various gatherings. I'll wait to closer to Christmas to get those, so they are as fresh as possible. There is a store not far from work, so I can run out and grab them at lunch one day without too much shopping drama. No malls required - yay!
- A couple of camera accessories for DD17. I have them in my Amazon shopping cart, I'm just hoping the price will drop on at least one of them so I'm holding out awhile longer. Prime makes it easier to play the waiting game, although I had my first ever Amazon shipping mistake this week. I bought a Blu Ray on Black Friday, but received a very heavy child's game instead :confused3 Not sure how that got past QC. I was a bit perturbed when I tried to deal with the issue online through the order interface and Amazon expected me to go out of my way to a UPS store and drop off the item (or an adult had to be home for a pick up - umm, I WORK, sorry, that's not an option!) AND the item was now back ordered and so the replacement won't be received for 2 weeks. So I contacted support to try and get someone to pick up the item without an adult needing to be present (I could leave it in a safe place that the drivers know well), and to cancel the replacement because it was just an extra little present for someone and wasn't something I was willing to put up with this frustration on. Best Buy had it in stock at the same price, I could just reorder from them. But Amazon ended up telling me to donate the item to a toy drive AND gave me a credit for the Blu Ray, while still shipping the replacement. Given the number of issues I've had with shipping the last few months as Amazon works out the kinks in their own shipping service (lost packages, delayed packages), it was a decent gesture.
- I need to get something to add to a few gifts for people at work. I have the main gift (one of those Corning Ware Pop-in mugs that are great for microwaving lunch at work) but I want to package them with some candy or something inside them. If I have the energy, I'll make some cookies - but I don't know if I'll have the energy LOL It may end up being some candy!

Most of DDs presents are wrapped, I just need to receive the last few items and wrap those up and I'll be good to go. We travel to see family at Christmas, so the presents I have for people there can't be wrapped until we get there because of airline security - I usually just pack some gift bags and tissue paper for those, so they are easy to deal with.

So now I pretty much get to sit back and enjoy the season. :santa:

ETA: Ugh. Forgot about Christmas cards. I need to find a picture of DD that is good, or get her to cooperate in taking a new one. Then get them printed, and the cards addressed and sent out. All of that will kill an afternoon one weekend.

Last edited:

I am nearly done and have only gone to the store twice! Once for a trampoline since it was a deal in store only and another day for in store pick up because JC Penney sucks with charging for shipping. Will go to the store today to buy the final gift for my little one. Other than that, I just need two gift cards to purchase, and I’m done besides chips. My two kiddos aren’t really allowed to eat chips at home, but they are on Christmas as I put them in their stocking. Now, that I think about it, I do need my four coworkers and I’m done. I just don’t know what to get them! Two are great cooks, but I am at a loss. One is easier, thought I’m between a frame (the family tree they sell at bb&b), or a chip coffee mug with a visa...

So glad I waited, Think Geek finally put the Pikachu banks on sale 1/2 off. Unfortunately I had to pay for shipping but I still saved $20. I have bought almost everything online this year. The stores and crowds are crazy.

Went and used my Kohl’s cash today. Between my stop at the UnderArmour outlet, Macy’s and now Kohl’s, DS is well stocked in active wear (that’s all he will wear. He refuses to wear jeans or khakis). I actually need to get more hangers I ran out when I was hanging his new sweatshirts and shirts. Oops! Plus I got DS and me matching XMas pjs with the Kohl’s cash. I’ve wrapped everything that has arrived so we are set! Just need to get teacher’s gifts and stocking stuffers for DH. So excited to be almost done. We won’t actually celebrate until 12/29 since we’ll be in Punta Cana for the holiday.

I am looking to get a switch. I know it is not on sale, but I’m looking for a good deal. My best option I think is my red card. My question is since on Sunday they are doing 10% off of target gift cards- does the red card give you 5% off of target cards?

Still so much left to do. So much for my self imposed December 1st deadline. :rolleyes:
Some things are just ordering tickets or subscribing to something online and will take just a few minutes to do. The rest will require one more full shopping day. It’s one item from about 15 different places.
We’ll be hosting around 40 people Christmas Eve and that requires so much prep that I was really hoping to be done with this part early.

I am looking to get a switch. I know it is not on sale, but I’m looking for a good deal. My best option I think is my red card. My question is since on Sunday they are doing 10% off of target gift cards- does the red card give you 5% off of target cards?
No, you don’t receive an add’l discount on Target GCs with your Redcard. I plan to use my Discover since it is their 4th quarte bonus category.

Been away for a few days, but accomplished a bit since I last updated. Adding to the previous posts, here's what I've been up to!

DD8:
I ended up buying an Ipod Touch 64GB 5th gen for $60 from a neighbor! It has a few light scuffs, but I figure they won't be visible in a case.
Christmas PJs from Target $10 (still looking for something cuter, but will keep them if I don't see anything else)
Sparkly beanie $2.40 @ 40% off from Target. Would love to have found a set with gloves, but their selection for girls right now is horrendous. I feel like they are missing the mark with design lately.
Ivy& Bean box set $12.89 (less discount of $5 off $20 book purchase on Amazon)

DS5:
Cute beanie and gloves from Target $7.50 @40% off
Christmas Jammies $10 same as above. Not the cutest but they'll do.
Pete the Cat Phonics box set $8.54 (Less discount from Amazon)
Still to buy - Nintendo 2ds, Imaginext Teen Titans go set (maybe) or Grossery Gang set. Have decided to definitely return the Minecraft Hotwheels sets. Will exchange for one of the playsets mentioned.

DS11:
Scored a Nintendo 2Ds XL for 15% off on Cyber Monday. No deals to be had on those so I'm happy with that. He has an original 3ds that he's had since he was 6 and its just so small. I think he'll enjoy the larger screen and he doesn't use the 3d feature on it because he doesn't like it. :)
Pokémon Monopoly $23.99 at Target
SkullCandy earbuds $10.99 (reg 18.99) plus 15% off on cyber Monday
Beanboozled game. $7.00 from Target. Saw a huge one at Cracker Barrel and he thought it was funny but I don't see him going through 12 oz of disgusting flavored beans. LOL.
Wings of Fire box set books 1-8 $24.99 ish... Costco. Probably the only thing I've paid full price for this Holiday season!
Still to buy - Christmas Jammies UGH.. he is in an adult med. 6ft at 11 years old, so kids jammies are out, but the adult styles are not appealing to him. Not really wanting to embarrass him with the matching family "elf" or "santa" jammies, so maybe a Star Wars Christmas tee and some flannel jammie pants.

For DH -
Destiny 2 for PS4. $29.00 at Best Buy on BF!
Samsung wireless charger $19 ($24.99 less $6 in Amazon credits)
He bought himself a Nintendo switch and a bunch of games less than 3 weeks ago and will not be getting anything extravagant from me!

For me! -
Cheesecake Factory GC $25 with 2 free slices!
Pair of Fabletics leggings $14 with 75% off (Had to join VIP club, will call to cancel)
24" Nutcracker with 2 10" Nutcrackers $19.99 from Home Depot
He will probably get me a little something, but I really can't think of anything I want other than my annual supply of Starbucks Christmas Blend Coffee :D

Kohls sent me a mystery coupon and it was 40% off. I ordered 2 more pressure cookers. One for my DD and I am sure I will be giving the other to either my DD or my sons. Just have to talk about them and hear what they have to say. Anyways, the dog was barking funny at the door tonight, and I thought he had to go out. I opened the front door and the 2 boxes were sitting there. They were delivered in less than 24 hours. They were not in brown boxes, but delivered in their original boxes with the shipping tag on it. I thought maybe Kohls has a new policy that your store now delivers, but the return address said it came from Ohio and I live in Wisconsin. That had to be the quickest delivery I have ever seen. I did not get any Kohls cash though. Bummer.

done-blew the kids budget badly but we moved this fall and a lot of it is stuff for their new rooms

Big kid: new computer with 27" monitor, some funko pop he requested, a new bed frame and mattress, big nerf gun, Lego set, home laser tag set, It and the Stand paperbacks, some new shorts and Ts

Little kid: power wheels wild thing, a cellphone that was b1g1 when we upgraded ours (he will use it to play games and for movie pass), nerf gun, small Lego set, some random books, an art kit, blue game, art desk and chair, new PJs

My mother: dna kit, socks, printed family photo

Dh and I won't be exchanging this year (we've been bad) and he is in charge of his family.

Crossing so much off my LONG list and still so much to do!! Kids are done except for DS, I'm planning on getting a kid-friendly digital camera.

DH: Underpants (Santa brings them for everyone!) and Skateboard socks (he actually had them on his list last year and I didn't get them for him, so I figure it'll be a bit of a surprise this year), not sure what else but keeping it on the cheaper side since we're doing a getaway end of Jan and that's really our gift this year.

14 yo Niece: She's a horse girl and I found a cute leather bracelet with the horse bit detailing
10 yo Nephew: Pickachu union suit - might get him something else, not sure yet
8 yo Niece: Descendants 2 PJs and cute top

I still have 5 nieces and 3 nephews to buy for.... some may be getting GCs....

Teacher gifts, DONE

Still have to buy for in-laws (most likely doing Omaha Steaks) and my parents (my sister and I are splitting their gift)

Slowly but surely trucking along!

Finally ordered almost all the rest of the kids' gifts tonight, woohoo! (Shipped to my mom's house in PA since we'll be there starting the 23rd. Saves me almost 3% in tax, plus I don't have to try to hide all the kids' gifts in the car on the way down there. Win/win.)

The only kid gift I'm still looking for is a new Wii U game for DD8. They aren't that easy to find online any more so I'm going to hit up Game Stop and see what they have. Other than that, I just need to get:

- 2 x <$10 gifts for an extended family white elephant exchange (I have $20 in Kohl's Cash and a $10 Target FWP GC coming, so I should be able to get these for "free")
- a CD and magazine subscription for my mom
- some unfinished 5x7 photo frames and chalk paint from Michael's. We're going to paint the frames and put the kids school photos in them to give to our moms, and have the kids write their name & age on the frame. Then they can update it every year with a new photo/writing.

And then I'm done! I should come in under $500 for everything this year, I'll do a final tally when I'm finished shopping!

I'm done shopping, just waiting for the last few items to be delivered. Yay!

Christmas cards were sent last weekend. Double yay! This is the Christmas task I hate the most. (I admit some years it never gets done...)

DDs gifts are mostly wrapped - just have to wrap the final one when it gets here, which should be Thursday. While I love creating pretty packages, I've done it enough for this year already and will be glad to be done!

Other things I have left to do:
- Pack up the few small gifts that I have to bring with us when we travel, along with the decorations we are taking for the hotel room and gift wrapping supplies. I have a well-honed system for getting it all into a duffel that can go as checked baggage on the plane without damage, but it takes some finagling.
- Bake some cookies for co-worker gifts. But that's something that just has to wait until the last week before Christmas,
- Oversee DD17 making her gift for family members. The kids usually all make a little treat of some kind, this year we're thinking DD should make spiced nuts - they should travel well. She'll handle this mostly herself, but she's not great with following new recipes, so I usually shadow her.

All in all, I'm in good shape this year - I'm not as stressed as I usually am trying to get it all done. The early Thanksgiving really helped.

Finally ordered almost all the rest of the kids' gifts tonight, woohoo! (Shipped to my mom's house in PA since we'll be there starting the 23rd. Saves me almost 3% in tax, plus I don't have to try to hide all the kids' gifts in the car on the way down there. Win/win.)

The only kid gift I'm still looking for is a new Wii U game for DD8. They aren't that easy to find online any more so I'm going to hit up Game Stop and see what they have. Other than that, I just need to get:

- 2 x <$10 gifts for an extended family white elephant exchange (I have $20 in Kohl's Cash and a $10 Target FWP GC coming, so I should be able to get these for "free")
- a CD and magazine subscription for my mom
- some unfinished 5x7 photo frames and chalk paint from Michael's. We're going to paint the frames and put the kids school photos in them to give to our moms, and have the kids write their name & age on the frame. Then they can update it every year with a new photo/writing.

And then I'm done! I should come in under $500 for everything this year, I'll do a final tally when I'm finished shopping!

Under $500 is very impressive! Love the frame idea.

So I keep a spreadsheet of all the gifts I've purchase and DD and DS lists never seem like a lot until I wrap them! Every year I think "I bought them too much" after I wrap gifts and the next year I never learn! :P

Wooohoooo! I'm sliding into home! Last gift packages showed up today. One was coming signature required, so I took a sick day (cough, cough) and spent the day taking care of a bunch of other holiday tasks. I precharged and wrapped DD17s last gift (camera), and packed up all the items that have to go with us when we travel that could be pre-packed. I even did a "test fit" of DDs stocking (I always overbuy) and picked out the items that I'll put aside for her Easter basket instead LOL And in the process of doing that, I found a tear in the stocking and fixed that!!

I'm pretty much in cruise mode now until the last few days before we leave. I haven't had a Christmas where I had my act this together in years!

So I keep a spreadsheet of all the gifts I've purchase and DD and DS lists never seem like a lot until I wrap them! Every year I think "I bought them too much" after I wrap gifts and the next year I never learn! :P

Me too!

I wrapped all the gifts except one large one for DD today. It is too heavy to bring up to the house from the shed by myself. ( Drewart wooden dollhouse)

So I am feeling fancy fine and happy to be organised.

I love Christmas, it's so much fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter