Christmas Goodies spin off

dyna

DIS Veteran
How is everyone doing getting the goodies done?

I'm slowly getting there fudge, vodka an rum cherries is done, ritz peanut butter crackers dipped in white chocolate done.

I got some shopping to do tomorrow hopefully the last of it till Christmas Thurs am DH to Dr so I'll start on cookies right after lunch I got about 4 different kinds to make maybe 2 kinds a day on Thurs an Fr. Be nice to clean house 1 day an have at least 1 day to rest.

I made 22 tins and 2 gallon size ziplock bags full of homemade Chex mix on Sunday. Need to do cookies, but unsure what kind to make. Cut out sugar cookies would be nice, but they never turn out right for me. Also will be doing monster lollipops and Lego gummies next week.

How is everyone doing getting the goodies done?

I'm slowly getting there fudge, vodka an rum cherries is done, ritz peanut butter crackers dipped in white chocolate done.

I got some shopping to do tomorrow hopefully the last of it till Christmas Thurs am DH to Dr so I'll start on cookies right after lunch I got about 4 different kinds to make maybe 2 kinds a day on Thurs an Fr. Be nice to clean house 1 day an have at least 1 day to rest.
I’m not doing well actually, and although I’m usually pretty up-beat, it actually had me weeping last night. :sad1: Somehow, some way, I’ve lost my treasures heirloom Christmas recipes and have had to just try and find some on-line that I hoped would be similar. I also got a new stove a few weeks ago that just simply does not bake the same as my old one.

Between those two factors I spent a fair amount of time and money last night producing a kitchen full of crap. I’m a pretty good cook and my ego won’t let me serve any of it - it’s all going in the bin and I’ll start over. Wish me luck.

I’m not doing well actually, and although I’m usually pretty up-beat, it actually had me weeping last night. :sad1: Somehow, some way, I’ve lost my treasures heirloom Christmas recipes and have had to just try and find some on-line that I hoped would be similar. I also got a new stove a few weeks ago that just simply does not bake the same as my old one.

Between those two factors I spent a fair amount of time and money last night producing a kitchen full of crap. I’m a pretty good cook and my ego won’t let me serve any of it - it’s all going in the bin and I’ll start over. Wish me luck.

Don't throw it away. Send it to DH. He'll eat anything.

Sorry things didn't work out. Better luck next time.

Either tonight or tomorrow night I'll be baking some cookies. That's the extent of my homemade Christmas goodies.

Just like Christmas card sending - I start the season with high hopes of baking cookies - only to realize that time is NOT my friend and the best I can hope for is one lowly lousy roll of slice and bake chocolate chip cookies...

Don't throw it away. Send it to DH. He'll eat anything.

Sorry things didn't work out. Better luck next time.

Either tonight or tomorrow night I'll be baking some cookies. That's the extent of my homemade Christmas goodies.
:laughing: Nope - garbage can it is and we shall never speak of this again. I have a reputation to protect. :scratchin Although I guess I could say my DH and DS made them...people would probably fall over themselves to praise their puny man efforts.

We go out of town the week before Christmas, so I had to get all my Christmas baking done last week since we take Christmas cookies w/ us for Santa who comes early & finds us on the beach.

For cookies, I made White Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal, Raspberry Thumbprint, Peanut Butter Blossoms, Cherry Chocolate Blossoms, White Chocolate Peppermint, Orange Slice, Sugar Cookies w/ Key Lime Frosting, & Gingerbread Men. I also made a pan of Magic Squares, & the kids made chocolate-dipped pretzels.

The only thing that didn't really turn out was the Raspberry Thumbprint - they spread waaaay too much in the oven.

Sugar cookies, gingersnaps, peanut butter blossoms, fudge, dairy free fudge all done.
Today is chocolate covered cherry cookies and chocolate chip cheesecake bars.
That will just leave the cutouts to do

I think we're set on cookies. DH made a couple batches each weekend that we froze, back in the beginning of the month. I also made Christmas White Trash, which I sent out last week. This is delicious and well-received, and added bonus, takes about 5 minutes to make.

The things I have left are:

Well, we could always use more cookies.
Buckeye balls were requested. I'll likely make Buckeye Bark (easier, and I'm lazy).
I think we'll melt chocolate and dip things into it. Like my face.
I have Rollos to make those pretzel/Rollo/pecan thingies.

I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle.

I'm sure you take a lot of pride in your cooking, but don't toss it. The fact that you're putting that kind of effort into it I'm sure will be appreciated by all and somehow I bet it's better than you think. :D

We're doing well with goodies, and I'm oh so excited!! We've already made chocolate balls, peanut butter balls, birds nests with chinese noodles and forgotten cookies. We also made two batches of sugar cookies. Last night all 5 of us sat down and did the icing/frosting on them, which was a ton of fun.

Can't wait to dig in starting this weekend, the kids and I will sort of have this look...
cookie_monster.jpeg

Nothing is made. Basically I do the savory goodies (Chex Mix, cheese dip and a cheese ball) and DW does the baked/sweet goods (usually bourbon balls, fudge and caramel popcorn, along with a cake for Christmas dinner). We also buy mixed nuts and pistachios. We usually shop for the ingredients this week and we'll start cooking this weekend. I enjoy cooking but like to have the time to do it, so that usually means the weekend before Christmas.

I made 22 tins and 2 gallon size ziplock bags full of homemade Chex mix on Sunday. Need to do cookies, but unsure what kind to make. Cut out sugar cookies would be nice, but they never turn out right for me. Also will be doing monster lollipops and Lego gummies next week.

If you have an extra set of hands, I recommend snickerdoodles. You don't have to be a Martha Stewart to make them look and taste great. I usually have one person make the balls and the other person roll them in cinnamon sugar.

If you have an extra set of hands, I recommend snickerdoodles. You don't have to be a Martha Stewart to make them look and taste great. I usually have one person make the balls and the other person roll them in cinnamon sugar.

That's perfect! The kids will have a blast rolling then for me. I think I'll make some with colored sugar so they're festive. Thanks for the idea!

I was way ahead of schedule this year having completed all the decorating, shopping, and wrapping in November, so I was able to dedicate all of December to cooking. I finished the cooking for the extended family gathering, Christmas Eve, Christmas morning, and the big Christmas dinner earlier in the month. Then I moved onto the baking and, because I was still so far ahead of schedule, I kept adding recipes whenever I found something I wanted to try. As such, I’ve done way more baking than I initially intended. :blush:

In addition to the bread, pastries, and cake that go with our meals, I’ve made:

Vanilla Crescents
Linzer cookies
Snowballs
Maraschino cherry cookies
Grapefruit cookies
Crackle cookies
Coconut macaroons
Meltaway butter cookies
Wine cookies
Oreo truffles
Peppermint patties

I’m still planning to make chocolate-covered vodka cherries and fudge. I’m on the fence about whether I’m going to do stained glass cookies, too.

Just got a added request......large chocolate chip cookies to use for ice cream sandwiches on Christmas Day.....and a cake for DGD
So more to do

Molasses cookies are done. After today, I'm off work and the kids are out of school until January 4, and DH just works 2 days a week. The rest of the baking will start tomorrow.

I was way ahead of schedule this year having completed all the decorating, shopping, and wrapping in November, so I was able to dedicate all of December to cooking. I finished the cooking for the extended family gathering, Christmas Eve, Christmas morning, and the big Christmas dinner earlier in the month. Then I moved onto the baking and, because I was still so far ahead of schedule, I kept adding recipes whenever I found something I wanted to try. As such, I’ve done way more baking than I initially intended. :blush:

In addition to the bread, pastries, and cake that go with our meals, I’ve made:

Vanilla Crescents
Linzer cookies
Snowballs
Maraschino cherry cookies
Grapefruit cookies
Crackle cookies
Coconut macaroons
Meltaway butter cookies
Wine cookies
Oreo truffles
Peppermint patties

I’m still planning to make chocolate-covered vodka cherries and fudge. I’m on the fence about whether I’m going to do stained glass cookies, too.
What do you use for an egg substitute in your baking?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter