Christmas Weather at Disney- ? for those who have been there

I am probably echoing some prior responses, but you really can't plan exactly. I have run the Disney Marathon in January the last few years. In January of 2018, it was in the mid 50s to low 60s.
This past January, by the time I got to the Magic Kingdom it was 85 degrees.

We were there Christmas Eve 2008 - New Year's Day 2009. It was 87 in the middle of the day, and temps never got below 70 in the evenings. I have heard many other variations. You need to be prepared for anything.

I've visited 10 different Christmas periods. I've experienced evenings in the park as cold as 32 degrees and daytime temperatures as warm as 82. Normally it's in the low 70s during the warmest part of the day and the low 50s the coolest part of the evening, colder than I like (but really not bad for theme park visiting as long as you have the right clothing). It's not my favorite time to go with the crowds and weather (unpredictable and on average cooler than I like). But anytime can be fun for sure (I do love the theme parks especially the Disney ones and Seaworld (fabulous for Christmas). I usually pack a light parka, jeans, layers, and a pair of shorts and a swimsuit too, to be prepared for anything. The biggest mistake first time Christmas travelers make is not packing some warm clothes, just in case. And if/when it's chilly a hat and gloves/mittens are wonderful (throw them in as they don't take much room).

In 2017, we were there Dec 17-20 and it was hot enough that we sweated during the day in the parks and enjoyed cooling off in the pool. I think the most clothes we were were light long-sleeved t-shirts with jeans at night, which was comfy. But I remember reading on the Disboards that I think the week prior to that it was cold (40's-50's) and people were wearing gloves and coats.

I plan to start obsessively watching the forecast for Orlando about three weeks out and every day until the day before we leave this year (Dec 21-26) so I know what to pack. I'll at least bring a hoodie, a rain coat, some ponchos, two pairs of sneakers, and probably a few pairs each of shorts and jeans as long as long-sleeved and short-sleeved t-shirts and a fleece jacket...and a bathing suit. LOL. I always leave room in the budget to buy some Disney garb while visiting, and that'll be according to the weather down there.

TBH, the weather here can change just a few days out so even if the forecast shows something before you board the plane, it could change mid-trip and leave you in a bind. Before we moved to FL, we had to travel offsite one November to buy jeans for my DH who did not pack layers ;)

If you hit on a cold day, you'll see people wrapped in hotel towels & beach towels they grabbed at the gift shop because they're half the cost of a hoodie. I think a lot of people just assume Florida is hot all the time and don't pack warmer clothes...

The downside of winter Disney trips is you really do need more luggage space for layers.

What is the best plan for the parks when layering is necessary in the same day? We've only been when it's warm and possibly only ever needed a sweatshirt in the early morning. When we're going (week after Xmas), for example MK is open 8am to 10pm, so I imagine there will be a wide range of temps throughout the day/night. I do not want to carry a jacket, hat and gloves around during the day if it's warm. Is the best thing to get a locker?

Omgoodness. Looks like we'll be getting a locker LOL. I am thinking jeans and a t-shirt, a hoodie, and a packable vest every day. Oh...and an umbrella. lol

Last edited:
It also depends what you think is cold. I live here and will be cold tonight--it's going down to 57. To read that some of you swim when it's in the 70s is funny. No way for this Floridian. If you're from Michigan, you won't find it that cold here. If you're from warmer climes, you might.

It also depends what you think is cold. I live here and will be cold tonight--it's going down to 57. To read that some of you swim when it's in the 70s is funny. No way for this Floridian. If you're from Michigan, you won't find it that cold here. If you're from warmer climes, you might.

I'm from WI and won't swim unless it's above 80 air temp. In the summer I heat my pool water to 85. Any air temp below 75 in general, I'm cold. Not all of us are cold-hearty 😂 I was not born to live in this climate and I hate it. Someday I'll move south.

Last year we got sunburnt horribly and then had to do a target run for mitts and hats for the MVMCP and the pool lifeguards were wearing the same. It was crazy . Pack for all and don’t forget rain ponchos.

In 2018 I went the second week of December and was shocked. So much so that we could see our breath in the evenings on several days. I believe it dropped into the upper 30s a few of them. Day one it rained heaviliy the entire time and was around 70. The next several days were nice during the day and overly cold after dark. Which caused my family and I had to buy overly expensive warm clothing to stop shivvering. The day after we left temps were back up closer to 80. I live in up north and our winters drop into the single digits and did not expect Orlando weather to actually make me cold. All I can say is check a day out and pack accordingly.

I was there for the Christmas season the past two years and it was warm enough to swim during the day, and a few nights we had to wear gloves watching the Christmas parade and at the desert parties. Bring layers and especially gloves.

I have lived just outside Disney for the past 21 years. You need to look at the forecast and plan accordingly. I have experienced Christmas in the 30s/40s and Christmas close to 90. That time of year the humidity is usually lower, but no guarantees.
I agree with others - plan to layer. Depending on how cloudy it is will also make a big difference in the feel of the day. It may only be in the 70s but if it is a bright sunny day it will feel hotter than that. It will also get cool quickly as the sun sets.

Also be prepared to wear shorts and T-shirt and see people bundled up sweatshirts, hats, gloves - us Floridians are freezing once it drops into the 70s. :rotfl2::cold:

Have a fantastic trip

I'm from the midwest, and something that surprised me was the difference in how we felt there. 60 degrees in Missouri for me means t-shirts and maybe a light jacket, while 60 degrees in Orlando felt much colder (maybe from the humidity??) and I was shivering in a hoodie!

I was planning to do leggings with t-shirts and bring a sweater/jacket/hat/gloves for our trip 12/11-12/15. Hopefully this will cover me for any temp. I do plan to rent a park locker to store our things while not using them.

I recommend either thinking about a locker, a backpack, or things you can tie around waist instead of carrying them as you shed layers during the day. If you buy a cute short sleeve T shirt, consider buying it large enough to wear a snug long sleeve T under it if needed. A PP mentioned leggings... some of those can be quite light weight and you may want more than that. I have worn thin long underwear under jeans a few times in December at Disney and on the same trip worn shorts and gone to the pool. As everyone has said, you have to be prepared for a wide range of temps. Now, of course, when it gets cold quickly, Disney is happy to clearly display additional racks of sweatshirts, fleece jackets, lounge pants, and winter hats and watch the money pour in. I think I own four Disney winter scarves now due to my own attire mistakes.

We’ve been about 10 times at Christmas or on the shoulders of Christmas/ New Year and we’ve never had the same weather twice 😂 We’ve had temperatures in the late 80s, we’ve had them in the late 40s, we’ve had dry conditions and we’ve had high humidity. Last year we were there for two weeks from 14th December and we had rain at some point almost every single day, sometimes heavy.
I‘d recommend packing layers, packing for wet and also making sure that you have coats/ scarves in case of cold. We‘re used to cold weather here in the U.K., but for some reason in Orlando when it’s cold, it feels COLD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter