Circumpolar Race Around the World (CRAW)

opusone

Imagineer Wanna Be
Hello all,

A discussion started in "The Running Thread - 2020" about putting a rD DISboard team together for the Circumpolar Race Around the World (CRAW). This is a virtual "relay" race with up to 10 team members that does not require anything other than each member logging their normal training/racing/walking/hiking miles on a weekly basis (along with paying some periodic entry fees of course - see below). As we make it around the world (starting at the U.S./Mexico border and heading south), we will achieve a medal for each region we complete (12 regions in all). Depending on our logged mileage, I estimate that it could take between 1.5-2.5 years to complete all 12 regions. However, each member has the option to leave at the end of each region (probably 1.5-2.5 months per region).

Here are some of the key details:
  • Website for the Circumpolar Race Around the World: http://craw.racing
  • Event Organizer: Lazarus Lake (Laz) - creator of the Barkley Marathons
  • Starts: September 1st
  • Ends: whenever your team completes 30,176 miles (48,550 km) - split into 12 regions (segments)
    • this will likely take about two years to complete all 12 regions, but obviously it depends on the accumulation rate of our team mileage
    • at the end of each region/segment (~2,500 miles each), we are allowed to stop completely or change team members, if needed (injuries, departures, etc.)
  • Team: up to 10 members, but can have less
  • Fee: no more than $40 per person per region
    • Region 1 is $40 each (Latin America - 2,491 miles)
    • you don't pay for the next region until you get there and decide to proceed
    • if we get several of the high-mileage runners on this board to participate, I estimate that each region should take us about two months, so that would be a max of $40 every other month for those who want to remain on the team
  • Week (for mileage posting purposes): Monday through Sunday
  • Medals: there will be a medal for each region. When you have completed your journey, there will be a world puzzle into which your pieces will fit to show your complete journey around the earth
  • T-Shirt: yes
Additional thoughts/items:
  • It's not a normal relay in the sense that one person doesn't run, then the next, etc., but rather we all just log our normal running miles each week and see where that gets us on our journey
    • I have seen a lot of discussion on the runDisney board lately about lack of motivation (mainly due to race cancellations or weird changes in our schedules since March), so this may be a good motivating factor in additional to any races you are training for
  • You do not need a GPS watch as you can manually add miles into the system
  • I plan on registering a "running only" team (vs. cycling/multisport team) which means all miles must be ran or walked (treadmill and hiking miles count as well)
  • There is no "winning" - this is just for fun. As the website states, "this is not so much a race, as a journey, and an adventure."
  • To finish in two years (although there isn't a deadline), as a team we would need to average 1,257 miles per month (~126 miles per person per month with a full 10-person roster)

Last edited:
Last edited:

I don't see any mention of the Gold and Silver buckle that they are offering to teams completing the challenge within 12 and 16 months on their website. This is from their Facebook page:

"Taking the time limit off for an absolute finish of the Circumpolar Race Around the World does not relieve you of the time pressure....
Because all treks are not equal, there is still a target to shoot for:
The Fernando Magellan Buckle ( known as the Fernão de Magalhães Buckle in Portugal). If you complete your Circumpolar trip running (on team or teams) in less than 12 months, you will be eligible to get the Gold Buckle. If you can beat the 16 month mark, you can get a Silver Buckle. Over 16 months is only the Medal.
The corresponding marks for multisport are 8 months and 12 months.....
Your clock starts the first day your first team logs miles. That is the day you get your first passport stamp to enter Mexico. And it is the same day that time starts ticking.
Are these hard targets? Yes. Not everyone will be able to wear a Gold Buckle.... or a Silver one. I don't think anyone will be hanging their heads in shame over a medal. But, if it was easy, what would be the point?"

Team Name

We still need a team name. I threw out “DATW” as a possibility which could stand for "DISing Around The World" or "Dopey Around The World", but we all know what it really stands for, and I am open to other suggestions for our name. Once I create the team, I will PM all interested folks the team password such that each of you can register on the CRAW website.

Well, there is "It's a Small World" which also has the nice connection to the race and Disney.

Would someone post a link to the puzzle medals and shirts? Somehow poking around the CRAW site, I can't find images of them. Just curious.

Team Members (to be updated as we go)

Based on those who responded in The Running Thread, we are still short of a 10-person team. Here is summary of potential team members:

Those who have responded “in”
@camaker
@GuinnessRunner
@kbenson13
@avondale
@RunDopey
@Dopey 2020
@opusone

Those who responded "in, if we are short on folks"
@bovie

Those who responded "in, if we have a multisport team (instead of running-only)"
@Princess KP

Those who I think we could get in if enough of us twist their arm
@FFigawi
@DopeyBadger
@PrincessV

Anybody else interested? Please respond below.

Wondering if @canglim52 would be interested. He hasn't been on the board much, but he's been running miles and miles and almost doing his own circumpolar race around the world. Tagging him to see if he notices.

I may be interested after a region or two if there are team member changes. Given that I am still in rehab for neck and haven't run since May, I would be of no use and not sure when I will ramp any miles back up. But if you keep a list of "backups/maybe later", then put me on it.

I think we now have enough interest for me to register and create the team. We just need to decide on a team name. Do we have any other options for a team name?

So far, only two team names have been suggested:
  • DATW
  • It's a Small World
---------------------------
ETA: I updated the Team Members post above

I think we now have enough interest for me to register and create the team. We just need to decide on a team name. Do we have any other options for a team name?

So far, only two team names have been suggested:
  • DATW
  • It's a Small World
---------------------------
ETA: I updated the Team Members post above

I can’t say I have any new or exciting ideas but I can say I like “It’s a Small World”
Just seems to fit with running around it

I would be interested if you still need people. However, I am not sure I can commit to the full timeframe. In the interest of full disclosure, I am looking to start a family and if that was to work out, I would need to opt out at some point as I doubt I could log the necessary mileage at 9 months pregnant.

I kind of dig "It's a Small World". I also like "Dopey Around the World" (as opposed to the acronym). Or even "Dopeying Around the Word" maybe? But as far as I'm concerned, it's entirely your call and your right @opusone to chose the name given that you're organizing this for us.

Okay all,

We have our team "It's a Small World" formally registered. Interestingly enough, within the last few hours (i.e. not yet updated on the CRAW website), another team has registered "It's a Small World (After All)." Oh well. I will start a private conversation with the above listed 10 team members with the password to join the team. Please register as soon as you can, so we know if we need to use any of the backup folks or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!