Circumpolar Race Around the World (CRAW)

When do we have to finish to get a buckle ;)
Straight from Laz's facebook post:
Taking the time limit off for an absolute finish of the Circumpolar Race Around the World does not relieve you of the time pressure....
Because all treks are not equal, there is still a target to shoot for:
The Fernando Magellan Buckle ( known as the Fernão de Magalhães Buckle in Portugal). If you complete your Circumpolar trip running (on team or teams) in less than 12 months, you will be eligible to get the Gold Buckle. If you can beat the 16 month mark, you can get a Silver Buckle. Over 16 months is only the Medal.
The corresponding marks for multisport are 8 months and 12 months.....
Your clock starts the first day your first team logs miles. That is the day you get your first passport stamp to enter Mexico. And it is the same day that time starts ticking.
Are these hard targets? Yes. Not everyone will be able to wear a Gold Buckle.... or a Silver one. I don't think anyone will be hanging their heads in shame over a medal. But, if it was easy, what would be the point?

Well, I did something that should help the team....I signed up for one of those step challenges where you pay money into a pot and if you hit your goal, you get a share of the pot (along with other winners). So I will be trying to get more steps, and as long as I remember to do them as "walks", they can go toward our distance, too!

Too quiet around here! :)

I keep putting in miles, but yet I am always about 1 - 5 miles out of 4th place. Drat! :)

We have suddenly switched to fall here in Maryland. Last week I had T+D values in the 140s and today it was less than 100. So nice for running! Hope you all are getting better weather!

Too quiet around here! :)

I keep putting in miles, but yet I am always about 1 - 5 miles out of 4th place. Drat! :)

We have suddenly switched to fall here in Maryland. Last week I had T+D values in the 140s and today it was less than 100. So nice for running! Hope you all are getting better weather!

It‘s been a similar situation here in NC. T+Ds in the 140s earlier in the week, then the remnants of Sally came through so I had to run in steady rain on Thursday. Sally took the heat with her, though, leaving us with a 105 to run in yesterday and somewhere around 100 today. It was almost chilly running yesterday! Here’s hoping the temps stay moderate.

It was in the 40’s around here this morning. Made for great running weather, but wow it was actually cold. Well that is relative, in a few months I will describe 40’s as nice and warm...

Had a good race though. Got my proof of time. Missed a sub 2 half-marathon by 43 seconds. But my best half since the injury was a 2:35 at last years MW. I will take that improvement! Family hike this afternoon and then I will add my miles. We are moving along nicely!

Anyone notice that Ohana team that has been right around us the last two weeks? Wordering if this is another dis group, Disney fans or just not related.

Same here, 37 yesterday morning and 39 today. Heat is tough but I’ll take it any day. I am one of the oddballs that would rather run in Florida in July than have to put on a hat and gloves. We’re not quite there yet but this is the first September that I can remember turning the heat on instead of having windows open all night.

I plan on updating our progress again tonight, so if you haven't posted your miles, please do in the next few hours.

Anyone notice that Ohana team that has been right around us the last two weeks? Wordering if this is another dis group, Disney fans or just not related.
I did notice them, but given that a couple of the runners are from Hawaii, I think 'Ohana is likely not related to WDW.

I was happy to run in T+D of 140 today, as that is 20-30 below what we have had here in Houston :) 100 sounds amazing.

You may be able to catch me this week, as it may be hard to run due to TS Beta. We may get up to 20 inches of rain from Sunday to Wednesday.

Stay safe in the storm!

I've been occasionally looking at the Google street view for the areas of Mexico that our team is in. Apparently I never looked at exactly where our team is, because today I realized that they place a marker on Google street view to mark where we are. And I realized - we are about to get hit by a truck! :rotfl2: Well, it's been nice knowing you all!

I've been occasionally looking at the Google street view for the areas of Mexico that our team is in. Apparently I never looked at exactly where our team is, because today I realized that they place a marker on Google street view to mark where we are. And I realized - we are about to get hit by a truck! :rotfl2: Well, it's been nice knowing you all!

View attachment 527225
I have looked many times as well and never saw the marker. Too funny!

Last edited:
Week 3 Update

Another great week! We are only 3-4 days away from finishing our first country and receiving a new stamp in our passports.

We continue to have a steady battle at the top between @camaker and @Dopey 2020. Also, @RunDopey has really turned on the heat this past week... and might be joining the battle for top billing soon.

Based on the mileage posted as of 8:50pm EDT/7:50pm CDT tonight, we have a total of 1,025 miles completed. We should finish Region 1 sometime between 10/19 (using avg daily mileage) and 10/20 (using best fit line). For the entire CRAW, the prediction model has decreased to a little over 1 year 7 months based on our average daily mileage (51.7 miles per day).

As always, if anybody hasn't posted mileage for this past week (through today), you have until midnight tomorrow (Monday) night before this past week is locked.

Progress2020-09-20.png

Last edited:
Sorry team. Have been down on vacation at WDW with family so a bit slow to post my miles for the week (ok, sorry not sorry given WDW!). Finally got them in. Off day today but plan on getting a few miles in Tues./Wed. while still here. Not counting miles around the parks (which was an additional 8+ yesterday) since it's not dedicated walking but hard to convince my legs of that each morning.

Well, I've done a few test runs and things seem to be working OK. I did my first 3-miler today and I've logged it and my other "test" runs from last week. Still very unimpressive weekly totals relative to y'all but I'm finally ramping up. And with Half Marathon training about to get going, hopefully I'll be hitting 20+ miles/week soon enough!

Wait... as part of the week 3 update, I forgot to include the funniest CRAW thing that happened this week.

I was on a Zoom call with our Procurement department this past week, and when I joined the call, the head of procurement happened to mention that I was "running around the world" as he compared me to one of his employees who is an ultra runner (and has perfect status on the WDW marathon). So, within seconds, I get a private Zoom message from this employee: "I assume you are part of a CRAW team... what is your team name?" I responded, "It's a Small World," and returned the question to him. As it ends up, he is on the first place running team named "Fear the Running Dead." They are now already 1,400+ miles into Region 2 (leading the second place team by over 1,000 miles). It truly is a small world.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!