Clerk didn't charge me for an item. What would you do?

jbdreamer

DIS Veteran
I went shopping at Petco yesterday. When I got into my car I looked over my recipt and noticed I wan't charged for an item. A $6.50 bottle of breath freshener for my cat. I had even talked to the clerk about this particular item to asked if it worked. It was busy at the store, and I didn't feel like standing in line again. It's only $6 I told myself. So I just drove home.

Now I am feeling a little guilty. :guilty:

What would you do in this situation? Would you go back into the store and pay for the item?

I'd take it back and fix it. If they overcharged you $6 you would have. This happened to me at Target once, only it was a $100 item. I had to bring it back, I just felt too guilty. :guilty:

I've had similar things happen. And the next time I go back I've told them. Most of the time they don't make me pay, but one time I did (it was for a much more expensive item and I kind of insisted on it... was a department store actually) they gave me coupon for 20% off my next purchase at the store.

I wouldn't feel guilty at all.

When that happens to me I chalk it up as a Bonus for the day. LOL. But by the same token, I have often found myself overcharged and I don't bother with going back in that case either.

I figure, it all evens out or close enough.

I walk back into the store and return the item if I didn't really need it--or go and pay for it. This is with 2 kids in tow. Must set a good example and I wouldn't feel right about keeping it without the two kids in tow either.

As far as considering it a bonus--I forget the amount...but when I worked for a grocery store...the store had to sell $100 worth of stuff to make up for each dollar that walked out the door by accident or by theft. Knowing that tidbit, I have always done my best to make it right.

I'd go back & pay myself.... this happened to me about six months ago... I went back right away....

Skywalker said:
I wouldn't feel guilty at all.

When that happens to me I chalk it up as a Bonus for the day. LOL. But by the same token, I have often found myself overcharged and I don't bother with going back in that case either.

I figure, it all evens out or close enough.

Same here!

I'd take it back and pay for it. That just happened a couple of weeks ago. It was only a couple of dollars, but it was the right thing to do.

Depends. If I'm in the store still, I speak up no matter what. If I'm at home before I notice, I can't imagine making a special trip back to the store, but I don't think that's happened. If I've made it as far as the car, it would depend. I ask myself if the situation were reversed would I go back into the store to correct a mistake that was made for the store. If so, I go back into the store, which is usually the case.

I was shopping at Target last fall (guess that makes me upscale, white collar and very clean, huh?? ;) ) ..... and when I got to my car and was unloading my packages I discovered a $24.95 belt in the cart, not in a bag.

I checked my receipt and it wasn't listed. So, I wheeled the cart back and went inside the store and found the clerk who checked me out. I explained the situation (boy, was she shocked I came back!) and paid for the belt.

I would have gone back inside and paid for it - seeings how you were still sitting there in the parking lot anyhow..

If I had driven all the way home, I'd make a quick call to the store and more than likely they would reward you for your honesty by telling you to forget about it.. That happened to my DD with a very large and VERY expensive item.. They were so shocked that she called and reported it they told her to go ahead and keep it - on them! ;)

This has happened to me. The clerk told me the amount of the purchase, didn't sound right to me, but wasn't really sure, got in car and looked at receipt and saw they didn't charge me for something. I didn't go back and didn't feel guilty. Now there have been times where they gave me to much money back and I did let them know and gave it back while still standing there at the check out.

C.Ann said:
I would have gone back inside and paid for it - seeings how you were still sitting there in the parking lot anyhow..

If I had driven all the way home, I'd make a quick call to the store and more than likely they would reward you for your honesty by telling you to forget about it.. That happened to my DD with a very large and VERY expensive item.. They were so shocked that she called and reported it they told her to go ahead and keep it - on them! ;)

I agree. This makes the most sense. If they want you to pay for the item, they they can take your cc over the phone. Best way!

mainewmn said:
Take the $6.00 and donate it to your local shelter. :dog: :dog:

This makes no sense to me. I think you are feeling guilty because in your heart you believe you should have went back in the store. Giving the money to a third party doesn't change whether you made the right choice in the first place or whether you should contact the store now (not saying you didn't/should but if you are feeling guilty then I think it's always better to do what will take that feeling away. It's a good guide for us to follow in life IMHO)

BTW, I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings with this post. It's just my ever so humble opinion, I realize many won't agree with me and that's ok.

Keli said:
This makes no sense to me. I think you are feeling guilty because in your heart you believe you should have went back in the store. Giving the money to a third party doesn't change whether you made the right choice in the first place or whether you should contact the store now (not saying you didn't/should but if you are feeling guilty then I think it's always better to do what will take that feeling away. It's a good guide for us to follow in life IMHO)

BTW, I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings with this post. It's just my ever so humble opinion, I realize many won't agree with me and that's ok.

I felt the same way...considering a portion of that purchase pays employees, pays the cost of the item, pays the store operations, and then the store still goes and donates to pet charities while yet still making a profit.

I hope noone takes offense to this either...but I am sooo surprised with the number of people who would "keep" said item and not do anything about it.

It just seems so odd to me how this is becoming a generally acceptable practice to even consider not paying for it.

Once I was at Abercrombie and the girl was such a stupid "witch" (you know what I mean) when I tried to return something. I had to play the system and the idiot gave us $20 extra change and I was glad! Never had such a rude, snotty checkout person.

Most of the time, I don't notice until I'm home and it's too much hassle to return it. It rarely happens to me as it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter