Clerk didn't charge me for an item. What would you do?

Ugh! I can’t tell you how many times I have read through a whole thread only to find it is a zombie thread at the very end!

How do people dredge these up anyway?

I use Self Check-Out at Walmart. Usually check the receipt but didn't a few months ago. Got home and an item was doubled so went back to Customer Service and received the credit. Also had the opposite when I bought 2 peanut butter but only 1 rang up. Bagged 1 on next visit but rang it up 2 times.

p.s.--Nothing wrong with Zombie Threads coming back to life, usually.

p.p.s.---now
The Cranberries - Zombie
is running through my head

Last edited:
1. If the store overcharged the customer it should refund a little more than the discrepancy when the customer points it out. No, absolutely not. Why in the world would this be expected?

2. If the store undercharged the customer there is a dollar amount threshold below which it is not dishonest for the customer to do nothing. Again, absolutely not. Stealing is stealing.

call the manager and tell him you found the mistake. Having worked in retail, I happen to know that a lot of the time they will just tell you to keep the item. Then you won't have guilt :) And if they happen to say that you should bring it back in there won't be any rush about it, just bring it with you next time you go back.

I wouod call and talk to the manager amd ask

but personally I couldn't keep it

call the manager and tell him you found the mistake. Having worked in retail, I happen to know that a lot of the time they will just tell you to keep the item. Then you won't have guilt :) And if they happen to say that you should bring it back in there won't be any rush about it, just bring it with you next time you go back.
I wonder if the same manager is still at the store after 13 years.

This is why I feel threads should automatically be locked after a certain time. Want to reference an old thread? Link to it.

If I was still in the parking lot, I would go back inside the store and make it right. If not, I would definitely tell them on my next visit.

Which results in my conclusions as follows:

1. If the store overcharged the customer it should refund a little more than the discrepancy when the customer points it out.

2. If the store undercharged the customer there is a dollar amount threshold below which it is not dishonest for the customer to do nothing.

I already responded to this, but a good night's sleep clarified what is wrong with this point of view.

This poster is saying the merchant should be penalized and the customer benefit - no matter what.

If there is an overcharge, the customer should get made whole and then some - "a little extra" - which comes out of the merchant's pocket.

If the customer is undercharged, oh well. That money comes out of the merchant's pocket as well.

The quoted poster is being disingenuous, to put it nicely.

When I was a little girl, I was Christmas shopping with my aunt. It was Christmas Eve and the stores and parking lots were packed with harried shoppers. My aunt had absentmindedly picked up a bottle of perfume at the drugstore, walked around with it, and didn't realize she was still carrying it until we got back to the car, which was parked a long way from the store. She gasped and immediately hurried back to the store to return it, despite still having a million things left to do at home before Christmas came. That made a huge impression on me. It became my template for what to do if I ever ended up with something that didn't belong to me. I've always been grateful for the lesson.

I would go back and pay, of I didnt notice while i was there or it's not somewhere easy for me to drop into i would call and offer to pay by credit card over the phone.

I know some workplaces would deduct that amount from staff pay

I am just surprised at the number of people reviewing their receipts. Maybe it’s because I very seldom pay with anything but cash, but unless I know I will need a receipt for a warranty item, it just gets thrown away when I get home. If I realize a store made an error either way at the time of sale, I would get it fixed, but I probably wouldn’t come across it after the fact.

So you needed to resurrect a 13 year old thread for your suggestions?
I see this a lot, you know, someone responds to an old thread and someone calls them out like they did something wrong, just like you are doing right now. Is responding to an old thread against DIS rules? And if it's wrong to do so, why don't someone close the threads so no one will comment on them?

In Canada there is a policy about scanner accuracy, If the scanned price of a non-price ticketed item (an item with a barcode that doesn't have a price tag stuck to it) is higher than the shelf price or any other displayed price, the customer is entitled to receive the item free, up to a $10 maximum.

I see this a lot, you know, someone responds to an old thread and someone calls them out like they did something wrong, just like you are doing right now. Is responding to an old thread against DIS rules? And if it's wrong to do so, why don't someone close the threads so no one will comment on them?
No, it's not against the rules. The problem is, often, people will resurrect an old thread, then others read it, not realizing it's old (and could have bad information in it) and then post questions based on what they think is current information.

I'm not the only one who thinks threads over a certain age, with a large gap since last post, should be closed.:

I wonder if the same manager is still at the store after 13 years.

This is why I feel threads should automatically be locked after a certain time. Want to reference an old thread? Link to it.

I wasn't trying to make it sound like they did something wrong, just trying to point out that the issue was discussed/resolved some time ago.

No, it's not against the rules. The problem is, often, people will resurrect an old thread, then others read it, not realizing it's old (and could have bad information in it) and then post questions based on what they think is current information.
I guess we all need to pay more attention ;)

I guess we all need to pay more attention ;)

Yep, nothing wrong with resurrecting old threads. It's the reader's responsibility to check the dates on a thread.. While the dates are not flashing neon, they are fairly obvious.

About a year ago I happened to check a receipt and noticed a loaf of everything Italian bread from Walmart's bakery department scanned for a penny. It was supposed to be a dollar. Some employee messed up and attached a penny bar code sticker to the plastic wrapping. No, I didn't go back and insist on paying the 99 cents difference.

A different situation yesterday and I'm not sure if I should have said anything or not. The people in the checkout ahead of me at Acme supermarket bought a prime rib beef roast as well as over $200 in other items. There was a circular coupon that reduced the price from about $8.99 per pound to $4.77 lb. For some reason the coupon didn't scan, and the cashier called over a supervisor. The supervisor figured out the difference in price with a calculator and manually applied the discount. Then I noticed when the cashier hit the "total" button, the register applied the discount too. So they paid something like $10 for what should have been a $35 roast after discount. There were two roughly $25 discounts applied.

Acme_13122018-280x120.jpg

I didn't say anything and I don't think the customers noticed because their overall total was still over $200. I "think" if it happened to me I would have pointed it out to the cashier. I'd feel guilty about THAT much of a discrepancy in my favor.

The tread may be old, but the topic is still relevant. It has been a few years since I was faced with the situation myself. I dared to venture into a Walmart like the day after Christmas. When I was loading the stuff into the car, I noticed that a package of the scented wax melt stuff was loose in the cart that had been overlooked. I was like there is NO WAY I am going back inside that madhouse to give them $1. It was a Christmas scent, so it would have been half price anyway, I am assuming $1.

I suppose if the situation was reversed, I would not go back inside to collect $1 if I had been overcharged either... sometimes going back inside Walmart just isn't worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter